Comments

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Oh, and definitely these:

have fun.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    sorry

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    I just remembered that I usually forget coffee or tea for the mornin'

for real. I can't start my day without this shit.

Have fun E*it* H*a*!!!

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    bring

a 12 gauge shotty

You joke, but I carried one on a recent canoe trip in Baffin Island. Only fools and the suicidal go into polar bear country without a shotgun and some slugs.

Cosign to the statements about deet. No other bug juice works. However, it doesn't work for very long, especially if you're sweating. If the bugs are bad, you need netting.

I'm not sure why people are discouraging using a stove. If you intend to cook anything, you need a heat source. Without an established firepit, there are very few places in the world where it's acceptable to build fires. Scavenging for wood may also be frowned upon.

I expect your first camping experience isn't going to be far from civilisation, but if it is consider familiarising yourself with the local backcountry ethic. With so many people using the wilderness, or what passes for it in this day, it's necessary to be extremely conscious of your impact on the land. I'm not suggesting that you forgo toilet paper, although some people quite reasonably advocate against its use, but you do need to know about proper waste management and disposal for the area where you're camping.

To get you excited, here are are some great camping sites I've known:

Camp site outside of Iqaluit:

The same site from a different angle:

Why you need mosquito netting (and you can't see the millions that weren't on me but just swarming around):

Looking down at my site at the beginning of the Soper river. The orange specks are the tents. A stunning camp, but with so many mosquitoes it approached the sublime.

Camping in Temagami, Ontario:

View from a site along the approach to Roraima in Venezuela:

View from a site further along the approach:

Out site on top of Roraima:

Proof that you don't need expensive gear to successfully travel in the backcrounty (but damn if it doesn't help!):

Out site on top of Roraima:

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Any time we go anywhere near the woods I point out to my wife what poison ivy looks like. She can never seem to remember. Once she handed me some to clean my shoe.

It looks like this:

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8R7GQDG0&show_article=1

Campers Tie Alleged Peeping Tom to Tree

PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) - A group of campers tied a peeping Tom suspect to a tree, keeping him bound until police arrived.
    Dr. Wu, 33, was charged with private indecency, a misdemeanor, by sheriff's deputies who were called to the Big Fan Campground near Bagby Hot Springs last weekend, according to Clackamas County Detective Jim Strovink.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    this weekend camping trip was honestly one of the funnest and most memorable experiences i've ever had.

my pics[/b]

leaving the city and saw that someone put walrus teeth on the john mayer gap ad

my camera case

this guy who sold us wood was a character out of a coen brothers flick

cabbage balls

cutest lizard evar!

we made a go-cart stop on the drive back home

canopy @ malibu grand prix

my friend's pics[/b]

BIG SUR