going camping for the first time i'm helpless

Comments

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

leatherman

indispensable.

blue oyster bar?

so i didn't really get hiking boots cause all the real deal sporting goods stores shut down in sf, so i had to go to champs in the bourgeoisie mall and got trendy brown shoes with resilient rubber souls. i hope i'm not f***d.

• i might be the only one on this, but i think camping when its raining out is lots of fun, especially w/ a nice sized group of friends.

It makes the group focus.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    i recently went camping. we built the MOST blazin fire in the middle of an extremely heavy downpour. we held a towel over the top so rain didnt hit it. it was intense. this was my first foray into deep woods camping. we were probably 20 miles from anything.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    but trust me, smokin herb and camping is the best. you'll come back from camping feeling so stress free

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    A Hat or scarf

a deck of cards or dominoes can be good if it does rain

a slingshot

rope and/or twine..goes along with the shovel and knife thing.

I find that putting a bottle of anbesol in your first aid kit can fix nearly any small annoying pain ( like blisters from new hiking shoes )

dishsoap and a big pot

calamine lotion

extra batteries

trash bags / also can double as rain poncho

BACON.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    It really all depends on what type of camping trip you're taking. Will you be trekking to your camping spot or just posting up like 20 feet from the car? Will there be water and washing facilities available, or will you be away from such amenities? Sleeping in a tent or under a tarp? 1 night? 2? 3? If you're just going to be boozing and eating smores, you don't really need to worry too much about under-preparing. Your biggest concern will be running out of hooch.

Here are a few things that always served me well as a wilderness expedition instructor:

- Wool/polypro/synthetic clothing. Avoid cotton as much as possible (this goes for everything from t-shirts, to socks, to sweaters, to kufis). Even if you're just going on a day-hike, cotton is a nuisance. It soaks up sweat and moisture unmercifully, and is really poor at keeping you warm. Wool and especially polypropylene wick moisture away from you body, keeping you warm and ventilated.

-Headlamp. Flashlights, for the most part, are for suckers. Why use a whole hand to light your way, when your stupid head will do it on the cheap? Having two hands free will allow you to get drunk with greater efficiency, and facilitate the easy capture of furry woodland creatures.

-Tarp. Not such a big deal if you have a shelter like a car to retreat to, but always a nice precaution.

Sunblock- Essential. Especially if you're going to be at an elevated campsite. I spent a week in the Sierras earlier this Summer, and a friend of mine got a sunburn that completely incapacitated him. 2nd degree burns and what have you. Yikes!

Sunglasses/hat/bandana- The sun is a real sonuvabitch.

...blah, blah, blah.

have fun!

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    I just remembered that I usually forget coffee or tea for the mornin'

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    the MOST blazin fire

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    If you're in an area with lots of mosquitos, avoid wearing anything with a strong fragrance.

If you're worried about the hike there, don't pack a bunch of stupid shit you don't need.

The following are the essentials that are often talked about
    Map/compass
    Flashlight
    Extra Water: if you're hiking and spending the entire day doing shit, you will get dehydrated. You're only going to make your situation worse by drinking alcohol or soft drinks. Remember, if you're thirsty, that means you're already dehydrated.
    Extra Food
    Extra Clothes
    Sunglasses
    First Aid Kit
    Pocket Knife
    Waterproof matches/firestarter
    Insect repellent (i go with as much deet as possible)
    Sunscreen
    Sunglasses... but only wear them at night

Another one that I never leave without is large trash bags. They are really versatile and can help reduce your misery if you get rained on. Always separate your clothing into clean and dirty bags and make sure you clean shit stays clean and dry. If you don't have any waterproof bags, just use a trash bag. Trash bags can be used for makeshift ponchos and shelters. I also throw in a couple extra for when I get back to my car. If it rains and your stuff is all wet, you can save yourself a messy car by throwing your gear in trash bags.

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    Someone already mentioned a sleeping pad. This is really important. If the ground is say, 60 degrees and the only thing you have between the ground and yourself is a sleeping bag, you're going to be cold. I don't know what the night time temperature in your area is, but I highly recommend a stalking cap for sleeping in anything below 60-70 degrees.

Pee before you go to bed. This will keep you from having to get out of your tent at night (a pain in the ass) and will keep you warmer (your body won't have to keep that extra bit of liquid warm)

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts

BACON.

Head over to REI for equipment.

I would mos def get the thermapad, the ground is cold and bumpy and having it will help with sleep.

waterproof matches.

an emergency blanket just in case.

and remember if the area you are in has bears, get those airtight plastic containers to store food and make sure to hang them shits in trees at least 100 ft away from your campground. at least thats what i hear.

most importantly, bring a good attitude, shit'll be rough but camping is a lot of fun. good luck.

• rocco2nrrocco2nr 530 Posts
    preparing for car camping in california in the summer?

don't even bother with the tent.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    a saw, axes are too much work and you will probably need more wood.

toilet paper.

put your sox and undies in a zip lock and bring extra zip locks.

string.

hand sanitizer (and basic first iad kit while youre at it).

AND A BOOK ON ASTRONOMY OR AT LEAST MAP OF THE SKY.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I bought all this expensive hi-end camping equipment a year ago to go out camping on this remote island on the coast of Guinea close to Guinea Bissao... a local friend who's doing sea turtle research for some foundation told me about it. Supposedly there's 20 miles of uninterrupted coconut tree lined beach and absolutely no infrastructure, only one small village that still practices animistic religion. We'd have to take a fishing boat for a 4-5 hour trip from the closest coastal settlement. I've been too scared/worried to go... but if I don't manage to pull myself together and do this before we move away from here next year I'm probably going to kick my ass about this for the rest of my life.

• one small village that still practices animistic religion.

thats great!!

I'm probably going to kick my ass about this for the rest of my life.
    yes you will. get your ass out there...you will have an unforgettable experience. i wish i had that opportunity.

• edith, i discovered camping late in life...but it has had a significant impact on my spirit and soul. cant recommend it enough. breakself, mint and gravlhead pretty much hit it on the head.

my recommendations:

pack as light as possible!!!
    maybe bring a lil alcohol,
    but herbs are much more portable (like said), essential in my book

accomadtions:
    tent
    tarp
    bed roll/mat
    sleeping bag
    dont bring a pillow.fold up clothes instead.if its nice, sleep outside.mats are crucual, but look for a nice bed of pine needles or dry area and you might not need it and youll sleep heavenly. the tarp goes under the tent (important)

food:
    dont bring a stove
    maybe bring a small pot to boil water
    have snack food...trail mix/fruit/whatev...dry & light
    add water foods: oatmeal, chili mix, hummus mix
    crackers/cheddar/tabasco/a good salami
    sharp knife(i find a swiss army is all you need)
    2 spoons
    water (everyone should be carrying a bunch)

fire:
    of course,make sure you are allowed. surround with rocks and keep it in control.
    matches/lighter
    dryer lint is the greatest fire starter
    make a "teepee" with big twigs and stick some thin kindling/balled paper inside.
    then either stack bigger sticks around teepee or
    build a lincoln log structure around your initial teepee
    cook over embers, not flame

miscellaneous:
    hat/sunscreen (sun can be a problem)
    bug stuff (natural stuff, like burts works well for me)
    towel (absolutely essential)
    camera
    map
    long pants (generally preferable to shorts)
    flash light (breakselfs head lamp will make you look like a herb)
    condoms

not necesary:
    radio,compass,weapon,soap (maybe a little natural soap you can use in a stream)

GET EXCITED!!! a one hour hike is a piece of cake, you'll be fine. you will not be bored.report back!

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

• tirefiretirefire 203 Posts

fire:
    of course,make sure you are allowed. surround with rocks and keep it in control.

This list is great, but I just want to address one of my camping pet peeves. Unless you're at an established camp site with a real fire ring, don't even think about starting a fire. Like bough beds and pissing into streams, it's one of those things that is just no longer acceptable. Get yourself a little sterno or gas backpacking stove if you're going to be in the backwoods.

• fair enough.
    especially out west

whats a bough bed?

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Each summer we go to Indian islands in the Adirondacks which is amazing. Its little islands most with just one camp site on it, and you have to rent a canoe and paddle for about 2 hours to get to them, very remote.

We bring big canvas tarps and build a Russian Banya (little sauna hut) by the shore's edge. Heating the rocks all day and then in the evening drink shots of vodka, beat each other with fresh birch branches, eat pickles and salmon, and jumping in the lake.

Its the best thing in the world.

• My redneck ass could quite possibly be the most experienced strutter on this topic, I camp at least a day or two out of the week during the summer months and frequent the great outdoors througout the entire year...I am usually a bear essentials type of guy, but other that food, I usually bring these items and that's about it...

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    you should bring a pair of flipflops (aka site shoes). After long days of hiking in heavy boots, you are going to want to take them off at the end of the day and still be able to walk around the site.

• tirefiretirefire 203 Posts
    fair enough.
    especially out west

whats a bough bed?

Back in the old days, people used to dig an impression into the ground, then cut branches off of pine trees to fill it in. It's how boy scouts used to make their beds.

• Water, water and more water. I can't stress that enough...especially if you are going hiking...dress in layers...weather is/can be so unpredictable. Hiking or trail shoes. Compass or map of the area. And above all, tell someone where and when you are going.

• you should bring a pair of flipflops (aka site shoes). After long days of hiking in heavy boots, you are going to want to take them off at the end of the day and still be able to walk around the site.

go barefoot

• anyone remember the story of the two philly area friends who went camping in the arizona desert, ran out of water, got disoriented, got crazy. one asked the other to kill him, so that they wouldnt die miesrably. ends up they were half a mile from the parking lot.
    the killed kid' family believed the killer and didnt press charges, but arizona did.

have fun Edith!

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    long days of hiking

when does the relaxing and drinking and having fun come in?

edith, i discovered camping late in life...but it has had a significant impact on my spirit and soul. cant recommend it enough. breakself, mint and gravlhead pretty much hit it on the head.

my recommendations:

pack as light as possible!!!
    maybe bring a lil alcohol,
    but herbs are much more portable (like said), essential in my book

accomadtions:
    tent
    tarp
    bed roll/mat
    sleeping bag
    dont bring a pillow.fold up clothes instead.if its nice, sleep outside.mats are crucual, but look for a nice bed of pine needles or dry area and you might not need it and youll sleep heavenly. the tarp goes under the tent (important)

food:
    dont bring a stove
    maybe bring a small pot to boil water
    have snack food...trail mix/fruit/whatev...dry & light
    add water foods: oatmeal, chili mix, hummus mix
    crackers/cheddar/tabasco/a good salami
    sharp knife(i find a swiss army is all you need)
    2 spoons
    water (everyone should be carrying a bunch)

fire:
    matches/lighter
    dryer lint is the greatest fire starter
    make a "teepee" with big twigs and stick some thin kindling/balled paper inside.
    then either stack bigger sticks around teepee or
    build a lincoln log structure around your initial teepee
    cook over embers, not flame

miscellaneous:
    hat/sunscreen (sun can be a problem)
    bug stuff (natural stuff, like burts works well for me)
    towel (absolutely essential)
    camera
    map
    long pants (generally preferable to shorts)
    flash light (breakselfs head lamp will make you look like a herb)
    condoms

not necesary:
    radio,compass,weapon,soap (maybe a little natural soap you can use in a stream)

GET EXCITED!!! a one hour hike is a piece of cake, you'll be fine. you will not be bored.report back!

DAAAAAMN!! i think this will be the first and only time i've printed a soulstrut thread. thanks for all the tips everyone. also this thread made me remember my folding chair, flashlight and multi-tool. i totally would have forgot those! we're going to go grocery shopping when we get closer to big sur. gonna leave soon.

i'm excited!

also the last time i was in Big Sur (didn't camp), i almost got spat on by this donnie darko llama

click here if you wanna get spooked

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    what do i need?

I didn't read the whole thread, but just in case, bring:

Mosquitos suck.