AIR CONDITIONING: HOT OR NOT

leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
I say, "NOT". peace, 'bandit...

Comments

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    I'm AAAAALLLLLL FOR AC!!

• VeeEightVeeEight 325 Posts
    I agree. Take off your gear and eat some watermelon if your burning up.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I agree. Take off your gear and eat some watermelon if your burning up.

My boss might not appreciate that. HOT!! even.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    anti-AC heads....just out of curiosity, where do y'all live?

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    I've been without since I moved in the beginning of June, and the apt has been fine with fans except on the days its gone over 90, then its a sweatbox no matter how many fans you got. Its made me wonder how people fared without it in victorian times with all that heavy clothing. But then I realized they knew not of the concept of air conditioning so going without was quite normal.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    anti-AC heads....just out of curiosity, where do y'all live?

No AC in Virginia would be a bad look. Shit my apartment in philly had no AC and that shit was horrible. It was second story and would get so hot I couldn't wait to go to my shitty job. Now I own a house with central air and I will never go back.

• I live in SD and I'm thinking about asking the landlord for some AC. Shit gets hot in the house with no breeze coming through.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I say, "NOT".

peace, 'bandit...

Spoken like someone who's never experienced a blazingly scorching 95+ degree NC day with 80%+ humidity.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I keep the AC on pretty much during the evenings in the main room of my apartment, but I don't like it running all night in my bedroom. Seems like a waste. So, about 30 mins before turning in, I'll turn it on high and shut the door. Then I cut it off when I hit the bed. It's rare that I wake up because of the heat, unless it's the body of a shorty in there with me, yeeeuh. So this has worked out pretty well.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    The woman who keeps our son does not have air conditioner. It kind of blew my mind because Richmond VA is hot as fuck. She said she moves to different parts of the house during the day, uses an array of special shades and curtains, and has many ceiling fans. It always feels good in there when we go pick up the lil man around 5:30--arguably the hottest time of day. I think her house is cca 1900. Those houses were pre AC and tend to keep cool vs shits built after 1970.

I've also heard you can get these fans to pull cool air out of the basement and another push the hot air out through the attic.

• What possible beef could anyone have w/ CACH? Let's move into the 2000s people.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Rock it at night; can usually live without during the day.

Ain't NEVER going to bash that shit, though.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    A good friend of mine sez that he never turns on his central air because we should coexist with what nature gave us. With all due respect, I say "BULLSHIT" - if that were true, we'd all be nekkid and shittin' in the woods.

Seriously, in the summer it gets muggy, and when it's muggy I can't concentrate properly, and people's tempers are short and shot (rent Do The Right Thing). The only way I could see somebody doing without a/c is if you live in Alaska. Or if you're in the middle of a winter snowstorm. But when summer is at it's height, like right now, goddam right we need some air conditioning. Don't be gettin' on some high-and-mighty "coexist w/nature" trip.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts

I've also heard you can get these fans to pull cool air out of the basement and another push the hot air out through the attic.

My sister's boyfriend grew up without a/c and his house had an "attic fan" of which you speak. He says basically its a huge fan in the attic that sucks in air through the house and out of the top. You keep all the windows in your house open and it simulates a breeze coming in.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    [rockadelic]My 95-year-old grandmother got along
    just FINE without AC for years - and everything was
    hotter back then!! How entitled do you people think
    you are to conditioned air?? Do you think the government
    should just PROVIDE you with air conditioning??[/rockadelic]

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    AC or DIE!

And I like it collllld!

• [rockadelic]My 95-year-old grandmother got along

15 Yards for flagrancy on this one.

He lives in Texas, where AC is indeed an inalienable right.

My sister's boyfriend grew up without a/c and his house had an "attic fan" of which you speak. He says basically its a huge fan in the attic that sucks in air through the house and out of the top. You keep all the windows in your house open and it simulates a breeze coming in.

Getting the hot air out is just as important as bringing the cool air in. I can't afford an attic fan yet but I put exahust fans in the windows of our second floor and it has really made a difference this summer.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

[kala]YOU ARE ALL HOT BECUAS EOF ALL THE FACIST GROWN MEAT PRODUCTS IN YOOUR GUTs.

AIRKKKUNTIONER KILLS NATIONS!!! PUSSIES LIKE hKKRUNT NEED AC. POST BEATZ.

have you evar fuckkked a Brazilian woman in sloppy sweat?
    [I HAVE]
    [/kala]

Thats funny because my 92 year old grandmother just got a window unit for her bedroom but doesn't have AC in the house. She almost never turns the air on.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    the apartment is too small to have all the windows and shades closed. I like to open all the windows in the summer so you can hear whats going on out on the street and I live on the fifth floor so there is usually a good breeze. I'll only use the AC if its unbearably hot. I didnt have AC growing up, so I guess Im just used to it.

Rockadelic jokes aside, I actually don't have AC,
    although I wouldn't mind it ... my house is incredibly
    old and has terrible/archaic electrical wiring, and I'm
    afraid AC would cause blackouts at best, burn the place
    to the ground at worst. I spend alot of time in front of
    a fan, and my windows are always open.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    last christmas we got an electric kettle. So, now out of the 6 appliances,
    1. Refrigerator
    2. A/C
    3. Kettle
    4. Toaster Oven
    5. Blender
    6. Iron

we have learned that if you use any combination of more than three of these it blows the circuit breaker, and I have to go down five flights of stairs into the rat infested garbage (and I mean actual garbage, like old banana peels and coffegrounds, and thrown out food and shit) strewn basement in the pitch dark, with a flashlight (and a big stick) to pop the switch.

I think it's the electric kettle - those things must
    need the same amount of electricity as it takes to
    light a minor-league baseball stadium ... I had one
    for awhile in an apartment where the stove was broken,
    and anytime I tried to run it and the Foreman Grill
    at the same time, BOOM! Out go the lights!

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Toasters and Irons are notorious too...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Yeah, I grew up in a house with one of those as well. It does work pretty well, or at least well enough for me. In later years, I did have a window a/c, but I didn't use it all that much and eventually just stopped hauling it up and installing it in the summer altogether.

These days, my apartment can get kind of hot (second floor, west-facing windows, and when I have the computer/turntables/mixer/monitors/SP1200 all on at once, that's a lot of heat getting kicked out), but nothing I can't handle. I have no particular need for a/c. I don't even use it in my car.

I had to go without A/C for two weeks with a sunbrun once when I lived in Texas...fucking miserable, when the landlord said it was going to be another week or two until he got me a new unit, I went out to the Wal-Mart, bought a window unit, closed off the rest of the house and lived in one room for those two remainding weeks....sunburn + 100 degreee plus temps + high humidity=get me some fucking A/C pronto!

It is all about the humidity and night time temps though...I was in Paris for 2 weeks during the massive heat wave that killed all those folks a few years ago and being from the South it wasnt that big of a deal...yeah it was hot, but it cooled off at night so you could sleep. My apt. didnt have A/C but with fans and the windows open, not a big big deal. I think a Southern US esque heatwave in Europe would wipe out tens of thousands of folks. But I have A/C and keep it COLD in the house, nothing like a good nights sleep with it being about 67 or so and a ceiling fan in the bedroom...

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    A good friend of mine sez that he never turns on his central air because we should coexist with what nature gave us. With all due respect, I say "BULLSHIT" - if that were true, we'd all be nekkid and shittin' in the woods.

Seriously. There's a reason mankind evolves and we invent things like AC.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I say, "NOT".

peace, 'bandit...

Spoken like someone who's never experienced a blazingly scorching 115+ degree LV day with 0% humidity.

- spidey

I say, "NOT".

peace, 'bandit...

Spoken like someone who's never experienced a blazingly scorching 115+ degree LV day with 0% humidity.

- spidey

a friend of mine's dad was talkin' to a dude from out of town...it was about 90 or so here in Memphis with 70-80% humidity at the time, the out of town dude aksed "How in the fuck do you live here? it is hot as hell" my friend's dad asked him where he was from, and the dude said, "Las Vegas"...