AIR CONDITIONING: HOT OR NOT

2»

Comments

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts

the problem is not the AC ...the problem is folks when they don't know how to use it...like entering in a place where the temperature is - 10 degree compared from the outside temperature...

that KILLS YOU

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    I can't believe this is even a question. I have one friend who, like me, is Jewish, and doesn't like AC because he "doesn't like the way it makes him feel." I might be biased as being a heeb - it's basically essential in all our houses but really - It's fucking cold air. What's not to like? It makes hot rooms cold. It makes it so you don't sweat. Are you all brain dead?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

I've also heard you can get these fans to pull cool air out of the basement and another push the hot air out through the attic.

My sister's boyfriend grew up without a/c and his house had an "attic fan" of which you speak. He says basically its a huge fan in the attic that sucks in air through the house and out of the top. You keep all the windows in your house open and it simulates a breeze coming in.

Yeah, I grew up in a house with one of those as well. It does work pretty well, or at least well enough for me. In later years, I did have a window a/c, but I didn't use it all that much and eventually just stopped hauling it up and installing it in the summer altogether.

These days, my apartment can get kind of hot (second floor, west-facing windows, and when I have the computer/turntables/mixer/monitors/SP1200 all on at once, that's a lot of heat getting kicked out), but nothing I can't handle. I have no particular need for a/c. I don't even use it in my car.

Spoken like a true East Bay dude.

I've never had A/C in any house I've lived in, and have never felt I needed it. When I visit people in other places (read SoCal) it always feels strange, such a waste of energy. Even when I lived in San Diego we didn't have A/C. I'm sure if I lived somewhere hotter or muggier things would be much different though. For East Coast peoples though: can't you use a dehumidifier to just reduce some of the humidity?

• The real problem[/b] with air conditioning is that its increasing usage requires yet more electricity to power it. That demand increases generation activity in the short term and over the long term will bring forward additional investment in baseload generation that will - until environmentally friendly technologies become available - lock in yet more power station belching out tons and tons of CO2 for 30 - 40 years which in turn will accentuate the climate change problem so many strutters and others appear to be concerned about.

That said, I know that in some places baseload already utilises environmentally friendly technologies like wind and solar - California springs to mind. Just sayin, and no I don't have it.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i would give up the internet for ac if i had to

• Strider79itStrider79it 1,176 Posts
    The real problem[/b] with air conditioning is that its increasing usage requires yet more electricity to power it. That demand increases generation activity in the short term and over the long term will bring forward additional investment in baseload generation that will - until environmentally friendly technologies become available - lock in yet more power station belching out tons and tons of CO2 for 30 - 40 years which in turn will accentuate the climate change problem so many strutters and others appear to be concerned about.

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    I lived in Paris for two months during the summer of '05. I really enjoyed being without AC. Your body just gets used to it after a while.
    I'm living in Missouri now and it can get pretty humid so I just set it at 78 or so. I'm living by myself and I don't want to waste energy/money cooling a house for just one person.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    I lived in Paris for two months during the summer of '05. I really enjoyed being without AC. Your body just gets used to it after a while.
    I'm living in Missouri now and it can get pretty humid so I just set it at 78 or so. I'm living by myself and I don't want to waste energy/money cooling a house for just one person.

Why don't you start a fire while you're at it?

• shhheeeit. AC all day! Fuck South Carolina heat and humidy without it. Yall MUST BE CRAZY!

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    In Germany AC is not necessary at all.
    However, in Islamabad it currently has at least 35 degrees celsius all day and heavy humidity due to the monsoon season. AC is and useful to keep the mosquitos out as well.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I can't believe this is even a question. I have one friend who, like me, is Jewish, and doesn't like AC because he "doesn't like the way it makes him feel." I might be biased as being a heeb - it's basically essential in all our houses but really - It's fucking cold air. What's not to like? It makes hot rooms cold. It makes it so you don't sweat. Are you all brain dead?

THANK YOU.

I mean nothing wrong with being "environmentally friendly" and all that other politically-correct ecology shit, but let me ask you anti-AC'ers a question:

When it's nine below zero outside in the winter, do you turn off the heat and stand around shivering??

I mean, really - I can see little gestures like just turning on a fan on days when it's not so humid, just to cut down on the AC bill. But if I wanted to sweat or freeze, I'd go outside. Indoors - different story! GOT to have some kind of heating/cooling system, and it's not always just as easy as opening a window. Mother Nature doesn't always get down like that, you know?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Didn't something like around 15,000 die in France from the heat wave a couple of years before that?

I think it's alright for people to have AC. I mean Fuck, 15,000 people...

The only time AC pisses me off is when I see businesses with it cranked and the front doors open.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

the problem is not the AC ...the problem is folks when they don't know how to use it...like entering in a place where the temperature is - 10 degree compared from the outside temperature...

that KILLS YOU

since when is comfort objective? So if it is, say, a hundred degrees outside, it should only be 90 in your house? fuck that. I suppose dehumidifiers are bad also? If it is 80 percent humidity, it shouldnt be less humid in your dwelling?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Its funny, all these "I dont need AC" from folks in the fucking bay area, and San Diego...no shit you dont need it..it doesnt get hot and humid for damn near A HUNDRED DAYS OUT OF YOUR YEAR like it does in the south. I wouldnt need it either on the coast of California...sheeeet.

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    The real problem[/b] with air conditioning is that its increasing usage requires yet more electricity to power it. That demand increases generation activity in the short term and over the long term will bring forward additional investment in baseload generation that will - until environmentally friendly technologies become available - lock in yet more power station belching out tons and tons of CO2 for 30 - 40 years which in turn will accentuate the climate change problem so many strutters and others appear to be concerned about.

That said, I know that in some places baseload already utilises environmentally friendly technologies like wind and solar - California springs to mind. Just sayin, and no I don't have it.

considering the blackout in NYC a few years back, and the repeated power outages in various boroughs (I'm looking at you Queens) since then, I'm surprised more NYC folks are not using their A/C

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    The woman who keeps our son does not have air conditioner. It kind of blew my mind because Richmond VA is hot as fuck. She said she moves to different parts of the house during the day, uses an array of special shades and curtains, and has many ceiling fans. It always feels good in there when we go pick up the lil man around 5:30--arguably the hottest time of day. I think her house is cca 1900. Those houses were pre AC and tend to keep cool vs shits built after 1970.

I've also heard you can get these fans to pull cool air out of the basement and another push the hot air out through the attic.

I wanted to get one for the house until I realized they are for use with houses where the assumption is that you won't use your attic as any kind of living area. They require a fair amount of space to do their job. I am all for air conditioners on a room by room for old houses like mine, and lots of open windows and fans where AC is not absolutely needed. Bedroom AC on a timer is the best thing ever if you are trying to get any rest in DC summertime.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

My sister's boyfriend grew up without a/c and his house had an "attic fan" of which you speak. He says basically its a huge fan in the attic that sucks in air through the house and out of the top. You keep all the windows in your house open and it simulates a breeze coming in.

Yeah, I grew up in a house with one of those as well. It does work pretty well, or at least well enough for me. In later years, I did have a window a/c, but I didn't use it all that much and eventually just stopped hauling it up and installing it in the summer altogether.

These days, my apartment can get kind of hot (second floor, west-facing windows, and when I have the computer/turntables/mixer/monitors/SP1200 all on at once, that's a lot of heat getting kicked out), but nothing I can't handle. I have no particular need for a/c. I don't even use it in my car.

Spoken like a true East Bay dude.

Hey, it's always nicer in Oakland.

Well, the house with the big ol' attic fan was in Connecticut (gross humid summers). I also had no a/c when I was in North Carolina (stank nasty humid summers) which kinda sucked, but I made do. But when my stepbrother graduated from Rice, I went to the ceremony--Houston in the dead of summer. Horrible look from a heat/humidity standpoint. I was definitely thanking the a/c gods then.