studio talk

2»

Comments

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
    And of course IF you REALLY WANT TO DO IT BIG than there is no substitute for the transformer magic of a FFFFFFFAirchildddddd.

$30,000 dollars

yeah that just happened.

That's a bad boy...They had one of those at a studio I interned at...submix the drums through that bitch for pure lovelyness!!!! Whoa-weee!!!!

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts

With that said, do any of you use the MPD controller? I'm talking about the new one that looks exactly like a MPC 2000.
    got the mpd24. didn't like the pads too much at the beginning. now i don't want to miss it

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    And of course IF you REALLY WANT TO DO IT BIG than there is no substitute for the transformer magic of a FFFFFFFAirchildddddd.

$30,000 dollars

mmmmmm. fairchild

• LuminLumin 807 Posts

ballers holler.

Dayum. I would like that. And I can offer...let's see...check my account balance...wrote some checks yesterday...gotta make a credit card payment...carry the one....

$100. And a hearty "thank you."

Deal?

Nice console dude!

Are those adams monitors?

Yeah. the good ones (I hear that in an event to make more affordable models they have lowered some of the design/tech specs found in their core products). I highly recommend these though, they expose everything, both good and bad.

The monitors behind it were used at Lucas Films for editing (i got them when George donated them to charity and my boy was working at the non-profit; biggest hookup of all time - you can only guess what films these monitors have played)

As far as a two buss compressor, I highly recommend a Neve 33609, second to that a n Alan Smart C2. If you really want to do it right though, a 2254E probably can't be beat for that app:

$30,000 dollars

yeah that just happened.

i dont do much compression on my mixes. i probably should look into gettin one. by the way, you ever used a fairchild before? i was in a studio that had one but didnt end up hearing the magic it does.

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    Lu, was it the right model? because fairchild made a grip of shit, some stuff you can get for practically nothing. In my experience these aren't really about the compression but mroe so just running the signal through them to get all of the harmonic distortion imparted by the Xfrmrs.

Lu, was it the right model? because fairchild made a grip of shit, some stuff you can get for practically nothing. In my experience these aren't really about the compression but mroe so just running the signal through them to get all of the harmonic distortion imparted by the Xfrmrs.

kinda like this...just run your signal through it (zeroed out) and the gritty phat harmonic distortion!!!

P.S. Fuck plug-ins

kinda like this...just run your signal through it (zeroed out) and the gritty phat harmonic distortion!!!

P.S. Fuck plug-ins

Yeah, those are pretty good (Someone once told me that alot of Mecca and The Soul brother stuff was done with Tube-Tech outboard gear).

The PE-1c is as close as you can get to a newly manufactured Pultec methinks.

Anyone fucking with Chandler out there? I always see the line at Namm and AES but the build quality (plastic chicken head knobs) seems so shoddy for what they are claiming to be inside. Any thoughts?

• LuminLumin 807 Posts

im almost positive it was. the studio was outfitted crazily. i didnt ask any questions as to what was what since i wasnt there for my own work.

havent got down with the chandlers. everyone ive talked to that uses them digs them. they are supposed to be the truth. those joints are too expensive for me.

damn yall keep showin gear that i want. tube tech? cmon now, yes please.

I didn't start using compressing on mixes until the very last album I mixed (for Kat, the keyboardist of Crown City). We strapped a 33609 across the stereo buss and all of a sudden the mix sounded like a "record" instead of a downmix. I don't know how to really explain it, I just know there's no turning back now.

I just got a CraneSong Hedd, it's still in the box till I finish scoring this movie but after that it's on. I'll give a report at that time.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    I really want a space echo... Or better yet an echoplex. Maybe I shoulda held off on buying this iPhone....

Blasphemy

I really want a space echo... Or better yet an echoplex. Maybe I shoulda held off on buying this iPhone....

Blasphemy

Yes, hold off on the IPhone, the first generation is bound to have bugs...I'd wait about 6 months...Plus the price will hopefully come down by then...

• TabneticTabnetic 206 Posts

P.S. Fuck plug-ins

Anyone fucking with Chandler out there? I always see the line at Namm and AES but the build quality (plastic chicken head knobs) seems so shoddy for what they are claiming to be inside. Any thoughts?

tube tech is tight, but too much bank for a MONO compressor.

as far as chandlers go, i have worked on the TG-2 preamp and it's one of the best pre's i've heard. ignore the wack knobs. i'd stay away from germanium stuff. i only listened to it at Dale Pro (not a good environment) but it is too colored to be versatile...at my budget/skill level i need to buy swiss army knives and not scalpels.

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    was thinking of posting a new thread but figured I would get all the studio rats to look at this if I kept this thred alive...

Im looking to upgrade my signal path for the sake of digitizing/ archiving my collection....as well as a better listening experience.

My plan is to upgrade my cart, then phono preamp, then either customize one of my 1200's or buy something else, then upgrade my interface.

right now its m44-7>technics 1200>rane empath>yamaha i88x>apple macbook.

anyone got a nice mid-level priced cart to recommend? Ive heard I should check out Dynavector and Benz. I am cool with spending up to 300 or 350 for this cart. It would probobly get upgraded again in a few years. you know how it goes. a piece at a time.

Also I have read some about the new DSD recorders by Korg. On gearslutz someone mentioned that you could record into that and do away with a premium interface if your looking to do something like what im doing. I think those korg DSD recorders are priced pretty reasonable for being able to record at 40 times the resolution of a cd. plus greater frequency responce then tape? surely this is too good to be true.

can someone set me straight here?