studio talk

LuminLumin 807 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
i haven't seen a studio thread in a minute. (im not talkin about studio apartments either)anything new gone into the studio lately?anything you lookin at that you want to put in?personally im needing a patchbay and also wanting to add a mid to high end preamp. still debating on what to scoop. the neve portico keeps callin me, but i havent had the chance to hear one in action yet.anyone using one now?

Comments

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    Putting the Neve console up for sale. Anyone interested please PM for details and photos.

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
    Haven't used the Portico, but I've been watching some API lunchboxes on EBAY lately, nice warm sound at a good price!

As far as patchbays, Switchcraft is really good quality at a resonable price...

Full console, or sidecart? Been wanting a Neve sidecart for sub-mixing...

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    on a on a budget tip, i just got the blue sky media desk 2.1 monitors in this week and shits nice so far. old monitors were too big for my room and these are perfect. now i just need to work on some stuff....

http://abluesky.com/asp/catalogue/products.asp?linkid=20&prodcode=00012

5116 24 Channel with XFRMR mods, 8 Buss, etc.
    Not as big as a big dog, was known as the Baby V but is the flagship of that line.
    EQs kick the shit out of my 550A loaded lunchbox.

• TabneticTabnetic 206 Posts
    i haven't seen a studio thread in a minute. (im not talkin about studio apartments either)

anything new gone into the studio lately?
    anything you lookin at that you want to put in?

personally im needing a patchbay and also wanting to add a mid to high end preamp. still debating on what to scoop. the neve portico keeps callin me, but i havent had the chance to hear one in action yet.
    anyone using one now?

i've used the portico (though i don't own one). the noise floor is exceptional, and it sounds quite "big" for lack of a better word. i don't know if you are familiar with the "silk" setting, but it definitely makes this preamp have more character. chances are you aren't looking for a "transparent" preamp...so its a solid choice. personally, i rock the great river me-1nv and john hardy m-1

the great river is amazing on vox and di-ed guitars. the hardy sounds nice on reamped drum machine type stuff. a bit more solid in the low range than the great river.

if you want a good side-by-side comparison before investing check out

the listening sessions

as for what i'm looking to get...i'm building my console desk, grabbing a soundtracs topaz, 003 Rack for Pro tools, and maybe a more punchy set of monitors than my ns-10s. then i'll be broke for awhile...

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    picked this up last week and Im really loving the feel and the sound quality. My first knob mixer. Had the vestax line fader mixer before this. I like the option of the cross fader when Im playing reggae or funk etc. and the eq's are perfect.

i'm building my console desk, grabbing a soundtracs topaz

Those consoles are really cool for the price...

ballers holler.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

ballers holler.

Dayum. I would like that. And I can offer...let's see...check my account balance...wrote some checks yesterday...gotta make a credit card payment...carry the one....

$100. And a hearty "thank you."

Deal?

Dayum. I would like that. And I can offer...let's see...check my account balance...wrote some checks yesterday...gotta make a credit card payment...carry the one....

Deal?

Yeah, give me your wants list and let's see if we can work out a trade...that sumbith is sexy!!!

• cascas 1,484 Posts

ballers holler.

i would rig it so that i could use the microphone on the console to make announcements through the house.

"now. dj a*na, bring me a drink. dj a*nna, bring me a drink. that is all."

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Guys,

I plan on getting an "official" home recording studio setup out in New Jerz. I plan to use "Logic" as my software platform (and I'll get a computer expressly to run it on, so don't include a computer in cost estimates below), and I will be using an ASR-10 and Korg Triton Extreme to make music. Including any audio mixers I would need, audio filters/effects boards, studio monitors, microphone (and simple soundproofing setup), playback speakers (optional, I guess), mastering capability (is this included in "Logic" software) and other recommend stuff I'm leaving out, how much would such a setup cost? Thanks for any assistance you guys can provide.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    you can master within logic but as far as i know, you will want to buy separate plug-ins for that. i can't help you out with that estimate stuff though

do you know logic already? everyone i know who uses it solely now swears by this one tutorial dvd that i'll try to dig up the name for later if you want.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I don't really have a studio but I just got this.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    the porticos are beyond sublime
    they look like nothing but cottdamm they sound HUUUUGE
    we a/b[ed]them at a studio I work at against avalons/1042s and og api's plus the SSL and we were blown away
    the next week i came in and they had bought a rack of em
    the thing with the porties is that they reflect the sum of Rupert's career,which sure ain't too shabby
    edible pure "Silky"cream sound with all of that extra top end that no one can ear

Stacks ;i would avoid buying Logic at all costs
    it does everything but is not intuitive or fun at all
    they make you pay for any upgrade even if its small
    it takes 2-3-4 steps to do anything while most programs you can arrive there at once without cracking the manual
    so be prepared for major RTFM steez if you do buy it
    also MAC owns logic and MAC ain't as cool as they used to be on many levels

i like nuendo and or slow tools slaved to the midi sequencer of your choice

as for mastering
    on the cheap-wavelab/peak should do you fine
    or pro tools with a bunch of waves plugins
    if you got the cake for some hardware an alesis masterlink is a nice box[albeit limited][great for archiving] but i don't know if they still make them
    nothing competes with "real"mastering though [knobs and hardware tweaked by a full time pro]

Deal?

Yeah, give me your wants list and let's see if we can work out a trade...that sumbith is sexy!!!

hehehe. records.

Unless its that sergio mendes joint (WHICH I HIGHLY DOUBT) then a Trade for gear perhaps:

4 1073s
    4 1084s
    2 550As
    2 560s
    1 LA2A
    1 1172

something like that.

Cosign on the Masterlink, pretty nice dithering buitl in an excellent way to go at 88/24. Fuck a Bounce to Disk.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    thes why are you sellin that?
    you movin up to another level of neve console? didnt you go through hell to set your studio up around that?
    i do recall seein you spent a years worth of tour ends on that

i mean id love to have a console like that in the crib, but i lack 2 important things, money to purchase one and space to hold it.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    by the way, stacks if you are workin on a pc, you might want to consider sonar. real easy to use and learn and sounds great.
    about the costs of studio equipment, how baller are you? do you want to have top of the line everything or be on the mid level end of things.
    you are going to want an interface for your computer. motu makes some nice soundcards and have a good rep. focusrite has a couple decent ones. you may want to talk to some sales cats from a company like sweetwater for some help on deciding on one. since you arent plannin on pro tools my suggestion is to stay away from the digidesigns interfaces. you can get a lot better quality for the same amount of money. expect to pay between 1200-1800 for something decent.
    monitors are a whole other beats. you cant skimp on this. i use krk v8s. they translate well. i believe you can cop them around 650 a piece. you will obviously need 2. i know a few heads on the board have these or have had these.
    2 other things you cant skimp on is preamps and mics
    1 major thing you might skimp on but will pay later on in the end is cabling. get some quality cables from the jump. quality cables can cost as much as half of your studio cost, unless you know how to build them.

im not going to make this any longer. someone else chime in.

• just got this preamp / beast. gotta put it through a variac and modify its interface into xlr's.

got a pair of these Russians to do a Lomo mod to.

• ToeFunkToeFunk 90 Posts
    I'm considering picking up a MicroMoog in a trade. Thoughts ? Obviously it's the little dude of the Moog line but I've heard some sample tones of what can be done with mad tweaking, and it sounds fresh. Not to mention synthesis looks cool as hell to mess around with.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    any moog is a good one
    even the rouge or the radio shack version of the rouge is phat

• TabneticTabnetic 206 Posts
    i'm building my console desk, grabbing a soundtracs topaz

Those consoles are really cool for the price...

yeah a friend is blessing me with it for free if i agree to rewire his TT patchbay for him and do some other studio work. works out well for both of us.

anyone have any suggestions for an outboard 2-bus compressor? i know about the SSL option but i really can't afford it. right now i just use an RNC in super nice mode at like 1.1 to 1 ratio.

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    just got a Korg pad kontrol. couldn't stand the mpc 1000's busted action anymore. going to have to go back to a 2000xl or something soon too. it's all about the pads.

but i still use those russian octava mic's. dope. still hasn't failed me yet after 5 years.

the altec's and portico sound dope too. would love to get my hands on those.

hopefully the next move is for a AKG 414 mic love though.

ps. Bias Peak Pro is the shit for mac's.

i mean id love to have a console like that in the crib, but i lack 2 important things, money to purchase one and space to hold it.

Yeah, I agree...however, for most applications, especially in the music that most strutters fancy, a console is not necessary, a few pre-amps for the front in and mix down in your DAW of choice, equipped with plug-ins and automation...Although I have always wanted to have a bunch of phatty out board gear and mix down through a pimped out analog board, to a 1/2" tape machine!!!

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    well i think in this particular day and age of recording, there are so many components and plug ins and what not that it seems that companies just have to put out meat and potatos. there really is no need to have a huge $150K console with a bunch of things you dont need on it.
    that new neve mixer thats coiming out is sorta like a sign of whats going down with consoles these days. its modular, and you only put in what you need. if you need a gang of preamps, then you can have an entire row of them. eqs? same deal. any of those portico boxes will fit in with the console.
    thats boss as i heard some west coast cats sayin

is that what you tryin to get thes? i know you aint heading the direction of mixing records in your computer

and i did get another aardvark q10. i ride for these. if someone is lookin for an interface, you can get them real cheap on ebay these days. the company isnt in business anymore, so tech support aint happenin but they sound really good and you can link up to 4 of them for a total 40 inputs. i think the going rate these days is around $200-$250 for each.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    i got one of these lately, great for adding that extra b-b-b-bump bu bump bu bu bump in the trunk especially to my horribly digitized fruity loops monstrosities.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

ballers holler.

Deal?

Nice console dude!

Are those adams monitors?

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    just got a Korg pad kontrol. couldn't stand the mpc 1000's busted action anymore. going to have to go back to a 2000xl or something soon too. it's all about the pads.
    I was never a fan of the MPC 1000 mainly because of the pads. I guess the feel of an MP is a big part of it's appeal.

With that said, do any of you use the MPD controller? I'm talking about the new one that looks exactly like a MPC 2000.

ballers holler.

Deal?

Nice console dude!

Are those adams monitors?

Yeah. the good ones (I hear that in an event to make more affordable models they have lowered some of the design/tech specs found in their core products). I highly recommend these though, they expose everything, both good and bad.

The monitors behind it were used at Lucas Films for editing (i got them when George donated them to charity and my boy was working at the non-profit; biggest hookup of all time - you can only guess what films these monitors have played)

As far as a two buss compressor, I highly recommend a Neve 33609, second to that a n Alan Smart C2. If you really want to do it right though, a 2254E probably can't be beat for that app:

And of course IF you REALLY WANT TO DO IT BIG than there is no substitute for the transformer magic of a FFFFFFFAirchildddddd.

$30,000 dollars

yeah that just happened.