these go to 11...essential metal LPs

Comments

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    AC/DC.. worlds greatest rock band? How do ya figure?

I dunno if I'd personally agree with Hook_Up that AC/DC was THE greatest rock band of all time, but I'd have a hard time arguing against it, and definitely put them in the Top 10. The reasons seem rather obvious to me. Aren't they obvious to everybody else on the planet?

And what the fuck are post-pinnacle Megadeth and Anthrax albums doing here? Uh, hello - PEACE SELLS BUT WHO'S BUYING and... well... Anthrax didn't really put out any classic metal albums but AMONG THE LIVING can get an honorable mention if you've never heard RIDE THE LIGHTNING I suppose.

And is Kinski even metal? Quote from Kinski member Chris Martin:

" I think it's safe to say that none of us are influenced by metal at all -- or know anything about it...We're not even sure what Iron Maiden sounds like."

I mean, not to be condescending, but what the hell is wrong with you people?

seriously. I have heard only 2 of the albums listed, and have never even heard of most of the others.

THEN THIS THREAD IS FOR YOU!

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

Anyone heard this...It's not traditional metal but damn it's good
    Thats why I made this statement however I wouldn't call the Melvins traditonal Metal either but it's heavy so it is relevant

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    AC/DC...they are a denim jacket in musical form.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    There are SO many, but here are a few more....

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

The only Melvins album I (will ever need to) own.

All Melvins albums are great, but you cannot deny your first. I think I'm going to cry now.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

And what the fuck are post-pinnacle Megadeth and Anthrax albums doing here? Uh, hello - PEACE SELLS BUT WHO'S BUYING and...

It's all opinion... I think "Peace sells" isn't that good I would rather listen to the first Megadeath than that rec

(cough)

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Venom...yes...yes...yes.

yeah, Kinski isnt metal, but that new LP that is going to come out next month, definitley has some metal moments, but yeah not a metal band...they are takin' the piss a bit by sayin' "we dont know what iron maiden sounds like"..chalk one up in the "pretentious" collumn for them sayin dumb shit like that.

• (cough)

Hell yes, my man!!!!

howsabout?

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    You must hear local Chicago Sludge Metal BURIED AT SEA. They fucking destroy shit.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    You must hear local Chicago Sludge Metal BURIED AT SEA. They fucking destroy shit.
    Do they got any recs ...I'm more into thrash and the sludge type of ish than traditional metal.

I saw them a couple months ago, I truthfully gotta say , if you like that style check out YETI on life is abuse records, they really destroy shit...in fact I asked one of the guys in Buried if they liked Yeti(it was obvious to me me they were biting Yeti's style), and the Buried dude was a big Yeti fan. Buried could be good, but the keyboard/pedal/sampler dude needs to step his game up, kinda amatuerish IMO.

the latest Yeti record

the first one with founding member Doug Ferguson(who passed away a couple years ago) is awesome also...but I couldnt find a pic of it.

• SexyBNyceSexyBNyce 371 Posts

The Dirty Rotten LP is a hardcore record if you ask me.

The Dirty Rotten LP is a hardcore record if you ask me.
    and probably one of the best hardcore records of all time at that

• You must hear local Chicago Sludge Metal BURIED AT SEA. They fucking destroy shit.

This The Same Buried At Sea?

I saw them a couple months ago, I truthfully gotta say , if you like that style check out YETI on life is abuse records, they really destroy shit...in fact I asked one of the guys in Buried if they liked Yeti(it was obvious to me me they were biting Yeti's style), and the Buried dude was a big Yeti fan. Buried could be good, but the keyboard/pedal/sampler dude needs to step his game up, kinda amatuerish IMO.

Sounds like The_Hook_Up "don't want no burial at sea."

I get razzed by my buddy's who are black metal fanatics about this, but this is my favorite black metal rekkid...

guitar player is a riff master

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    maybe some of these are not 'heavy metal' in the traditional sense, but I dont care the sound good drunk in a mosh pit:

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    any of you St Vitus guys into THE OBSESSED ???

a personal favorite is PENTAGRAM

back in the 90s a lot of metal friends were way into CROWBAR

Sounds like The_Hook_Up "don't want no burial at sea."

whatever happened to Scott Reagers? I like him a lot better than Wino...but seems like dude fell of the face of the earth, maybe he was buried at sea...(slaps knees and chuckles)

• THE OBSESSED ???
    PENTAGRAM

Cosign!!!!

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts

Not being heavy into this shit, I can't say in the way of The Hook Up's opinion bout B.A.S., and I've never seen em live, but the first LP they released is fucking hard and dope to these ears. Hook Up, you ever heard "Behold! The Living Corpse"? Thats my brothers old band, they fuckin ruled too.

What was up with these dudes coming out with a song about Marvel Comics' Wolverine?

Howsabout

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I'm sayin'....

I'm sayin'....

CURSE THE GODS!!!!!!!!!!!!

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    co-sing on Iron Maiden's Killers LP. Their original line-up always use to get overlooked and that is my fav from that time.

I think the 1st Slayer and 1st Metallica LPs should be on the list as well. Those were just mind blowing when they came out. No one had heard anything like that and really changed the whole scene. The funny thing was, people in the Bay Area loved Metallica and local act Exodus and would talk hella shit about Slayer because they wore spandex and had make-up on the back cover of their debut. Really though, now looking back, Slayer was the better band, but it was fun talking shit about them. Everyone eventually became friends and made nice.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Metallica "Mater of Puppets"

later day sins ignored, this LP lit a fire under a lot of folks asses...RIP Cliff

Although placing "Reign In Blood" at #1 immediately validated your approach to this thread, and cuts you slack on other choices, it is a serious mistake to choose "Master" as the essential Metallica LP.

Just as "Reign In Blood" has it over the almost equally sick "South of Heaven," "Master of Puppets" must take a back seat to this bad boy:

co-sign on Chaos A.D., Bathory...

For Iron Maiden I gotta go with:

Cause they are a live band beyond all else.

Can I add:

and

and one of my absolute favorites of all time:

And an honorable mention for this EP, not for the cheesy rap-rock title track, but for the blazing cover of "Sabbath Bloody Sabbath":

• Unfuckwithable!!!

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

howsabout?

West Contra Costa stand the fuck up! These were high school friends of mine. Roadied for them in 10th grade.