these go to 11...essential metal LPs

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited June 2005 in Music Talk
1.Slayer "Reign in Blood"the greatest metal LP of all time, hands down, I dont think this LP can be improved upon..simply the best one ever.2.Judas Priest "Sad Wings of Destiny"the first 100% pure metal masterpiece, metal by design3.Iron Maiden "Killers"tough to call on the best maiden LP ever, but this one has it all...one of the best ever, thats for sure4.Motorhead "overkill"lemmy's finest moment and you cant have a metal list without him...killer fucking LP5..Black Sabbath "master of reality"see other thread...6.Metallica "Mater of Puppets"later day sins ignored, this LP lit a fire under a lot of folks asses...RIP Cliff7.Scorpions "Fly to the Rainbow"an over-looked metal masterpiece...Uli Jon Roth should get more props, he invented metal shredding, but he had more taste and grit than a thousand Yngwies8.AC/DC "let there be rock"the world's greatest rock band records one of the greatest metal LPs, this is heavy yo.9.Celtic Frost "Morbid Tales"one of the heaviest LPs ever, responsible for damn near every scandinavian black metal band, they re-wrote the book10.Black Sabbath "Mob Rules" see other thread11.Melvins "eggnog"overlooked and genius...great record

Comments

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

RESPECT

• Great list. I like the inclusion of the Melvins. Buzzo has some nice guitar chops.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

The only Melvins album I (will ever need to) own.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts

• And speaking of The Melvins and such....

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

Picked this up alittle while back..

This is not the greatest album ...but the first two song are heaters

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

Anyone heard this...It's not traditional metal but damn it's good

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    And speaking of The Melvins and such....

COSIGN

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

Anyone heard this...It's not traditional metal but damn it's good

I got an advance promo for their new LP due out next month and it is great

I left this one out...put it at a tie with "Let there be rock", the world's second best rock band record a metal masterpiece

cosign on the Sleep..dont forget High on Fire, or Al Cisnero's new band OM...

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

• This is not the greatest album ...but the first two song are heaters

What about, "Take No Prisoners" and "Five Magics"?

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

This is not the greatest album ...but the first two song are heaters

What about, "Take No Prisoners" and "Five Magics"?

The whole album is good but those first two songs just get me pumped

• nickjnickj 53 Posts

Shit sandwich.

• Incase you didnt know, maybe you forgot, or would like to remember...

Mercyful Fate "The Oath" mp3

KISS THE FUCKING GOAT!!!!!!!

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts

propaganda....

• PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
    These are METAL (not hard rock...two different things):

-- Accept: Metal Heart
    -- Black Sabbath: first six, maybe Heaven and Hell and Mob Tules
    -- Megadeth: Peace Sells (they went weak and corny after this thrash masterpiece)
    -- Celtic Frost: To Mega Therion (the sound of continental plates shifting, creams their other LPs)
    -- Death: Scream Bloody Gore (good death metal)
    -- Exodus: Bonded by Blood (poser-killing techno-thrash)
    -- Slayer: first four
    -- Hellhammer: Apocalyptic Raids (insane)
    -- Iron Maiden: first five, Dickinson entered vibrato hell after
    -- Judas Priest: everything up to Defenders of the Faith
    -- Mercyful Fate: first two
    -- Metal Church: 1st LP had some cool shit
    -- Metallica: everything w/ Cliff
    -- Mot??rhead: everything w/ Fast Eddie
    -- Ozzy: first two
    -- Saint Vitus: Hallow's Victim: some heavy shit on here
    -- Tad: Salt Lick (probably grunge really but tastes like metal)
    -- UFO: Strangers in the Night (classic live, not 100% but solid)
    -- Voivod: Dimension Hatross

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Er*c, Er*c, ER*C!!!

DUDE!

Get it together man!!!

And when anyone is ready to have their face ripped off Carolina-style, how about this one by our local legends who used to blast RUN-DMC's RAISING HELL at earth-shattering volumes in their tour van prior to recording this classic:

These are METAL (not hard rock...two different things):

yeah, I am fully aware of the difference between hard rock and metal, hence my caveat on the ac/dc and van halen LPs...rock bands that happened to record a couple of GREAT metal albums...but yeah they were hard rock bands...black sabbath was a hard rock band, not a metal band..a point that some people have a hard time swallowing, Black Sabbath was not a heavy metal band...

Er*c, Er*c, ER*C!!!

DUDE!

Get it together man!!!

And when anyone is ready to have their face ripped off Carolina-style, how about this one by our local legends who used to blast RUN-DMC's RAISING HELL at earth-shattering volumes in their tour van prior to recording this classic:

true...true! I had a hard time leaving them off the top 11, that LP is awesome, one of my favorites for sure...by the way I got doubles of it(not of the white vinyl though, the double is none more black)

C.O.C. yes!!!!!! my first hardcore/club show was C.O.C. and St. Vitus

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts

• PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
    Sabbath's first was proto-metal, super-heavy evil blues w/ a period psychy fragrance, but by Paranoid there were metal.

Sabbath's first was proto-metal, super-heavy evil blues w/ a period psychy fragrance, but by Paranoid there were metal.

I respectfully disagree...they were still on some hippy steez lyric-wise even up until "Master" and "Sabbath Bloody.."...hard rock.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    seriously. I have heard only 2 of the albums listed, and have never even heard of most of the others.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

A couple of other jawns you may consider thrash...
    Plus early Suicidal and some other earlier Anthrax

AC/DC.. worlds greatest rock band? How do ya figure?

cause it has all the elements...simple, three chord songs, loud, rockin' as a mother fucker, memorable songs/anthems, been doin it the same way for over 30 years...they are a denim jacket in musical form...and the most important aspect of a killer rock band...you feel better after you hear/see them than before you have.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Forced Entry! Mount Lake Terrace, WA Holla! Saw these guys live more times than I can remember and drank A LOT of beer with these dudes. Good people.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

Forced Entry! Mount Lake Terrace, WA Holla! Saw these guys live more times than I can remember and drank A LOT of beer with these dudes. Good people.
    Really I heard they were a bunch of dicks...... Joke