Comments

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    All this shit is Disco / R&B, dogs.

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts

Everyone seems to have a different definition for this genre .

BECAUSE THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS MODERN SOUL!!!!

homework motherfuckers, shit is called doing homework. not just getting high, you gotta do homework. knowledge is power.

yeah, the term "modern soul" gets mangled on soulstrut, big deal, that doesn't mean the scene which named this style never happended. shit is real. collections exist. records which were once common are now fucking peace. why? because the mythical modern soul scene was playing them in the 80's when that sound actually was "modern" soul. captain crunch.

Tom,

I think ol' EdPowers was just doing a little of the kidding. Dude blasts modern soul mixes in the SUV while I pack bowls in the passenger seat. If this was 1982 best beleive J****l would be rocking the suit n' curl

its all good, just fucking around anyhow myself..... and listening to some killer modern soul. time to get back to the edit chambers.

post some more scans!!!! i can't from this computer.

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    all this shit is AM radio dogs

• thanks for the links dude..i will chek m out soon.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    post some more scans!!!!

here is some stuff I picked up yesterday...the only real essential in my opinion is the O'Bryan

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Why isn't it modern soul?
    late 70's/ early 80's soul LP with all the contemporary sounds of the day and not too much of that 4 on the floor disco syncopated beat.
    Everyone seems to have a different definition for this genre but I've made mine known several times. basically if its good late 70's early 80's soul music with some serious R&B vibes to it as opposed to disco I consider it modern soul.

The delineation you're makin' is fairly arbritrary and is pretty suspect - the prevalent sound at the time period you're quoting would've been subject to some heavy cross pollination b/w the so-called soul and disco genres - from lookin' @ DJ sets from the likes of Tom Moulton, the categories you've spelt out are of the obsessive-from-the-outside-lookin'-in-i-don't-dance-and-am-only-a-collector-or-dealer-only penchant... Some of the albums and songs called soul from that era had serious disco overtones regardless of the beat syncopation...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    the categories you've spelt out are of the obsessive-from-the-outside-lookin'-in-i-don't-dance-and-am-only-a-collector-or-dealer-only penchant...

umm I'm not sure about Marvin Gaye's Midnight Love Or Michael Jackson's off the wall being collector or dealer type LP's, but if it makes you feel like your opinion is more important than others I won't argue.

good job

by the way instead of trying to figure me as a dealer or collector hows about you try to look at me as a genuine fan of music?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

The delineation you're makin' is fairly arbritrary and is pretty suspect

Why are you nit picking it? just post some titles you like.Guzzo check for the One Way lps the Howard Johnson lp with "So Fine" and Central Line lp with "Walking Into Sunshine" that's just what i can think of right now.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

The delineation you're makin' is fairly arbritrary and is pretty suspect

Why are you nit picking it? just post some titles you like.Guzzo check for the Central Line lp with "Walking Into Sunshine"

haha, just picked that up 3 days ago... can't help but sing "youre jingling baby" while listening to that track

Classic for sure

D Train - You're the one for me" =

As well most Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis produced albums

Evelyn Champagne King - "Get Loose" [/b] album,ok i know that some/most of this stuff is more like the dance hits of the era but i would like to think of it as "Modern Soul"

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    the categories you've spelt out are of the obsessive-from-the-outside-lookin'-in-i-don't-dance-and-am-only-a-collector-or-dealer-only penchant...

umm I'm not sure about Marvin Gaye's Midnight Love Or Michael Jackson's off the wall being collector or dealer type LP's, but if it makes you feel like your opinion is more important than others I won't argue.

good job

by the way instead of trying to figure me as a dealer or collector hows about you try to look at me as a genuine fan of music?

Hey, I wasn't slammin' you or anyone in particular - just that I do recall some CBS 12" singles sporting a DISCO mix for tracks from 'Midnight Love' is all... And if you're designating it as Soul - gets bogged down in semantic sophistry... As for bein' a genuine fan of music, it's all good - but to keep breakin' it down category-wise just seems futile and pointless at times - I figure rollin' w/ Nick Mancuso's Loft policy of just good music regardless of genre works...

Ohio Breakdown -
    Kleeer 'Intimate Connection'
    Steve Arrington 'Feel So Real'

But I'd throw in the Pagans, Rocket from the Tombs, MC Chill, etc. to reflect the good music clause (for OH in this case)...

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

Why are you nit picking it? just post some titles you like.Guzzo check for the One Way lps the Howard Johnson lp with "So Fine" and Central Line lp with "Walking Into Sunshine" that's just what i can think of right now.

'Cause I'd just as well throw Junior's 'Mama Used to Say' in the mix along w/ somethin' off a Johnny Clarke disc... Music period, but if you insist -

Atlantic Starr 'Yours Forever' ('Touch a Four Leaf Clover'/etc.)
    Aurra 'Send Your Love'
    Carl Anderson remake of Wonder's 'Buttercup'
    Change 'Change of Heart' (which pretty much aped Jam + Lewis)

Patrice Rushen - "Straight from the Heart" does it meet with your approval PEK.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    Patrice Rushen - "Straight from the Heart" does it meet with your approval PEK.

Mag - it's (good from my vantage point) music - I ain't the one makin' distinctions so you're gonna have to ask some authority as to whether or not it falls under the auspices of 'Modern Soul'

Maybe Tashan's 'Read My Mind' qualifies? Mag? Guzzo? The audience sits rapt waiting for the verdict...

'Cause the Tashan dates from '86, which would fall outside of Guzzo's parameters of early '80s - when I spoke to Jason Palma (Movement Collective/Straight No Chaser chart submission/Play De Record co-owner/radio DJ/personality/etc.), he offhandedly referred to it as 'modern soul'... So where it does it begin and end? And what happens in the instance of the Tashan as it falls outside of the boundaries specified - it could/can get kinda silly at the end...

• cheebahazecheebahaze 235 Posts

Maybe Tashan's 'Read My Mind' qualifies? Mag? Guzzo? The audience sits rapt waiting for the verdict...
    I'm not familiar with it.

"I cant forget about you" is a cool song but i'm not feeling this album really.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts

I'm not familiar with it.

If I can get a soundclip up from either the original 12" (in storage) or the compilation CD out of the UK, I'll throw it your way - would've been around at roughly the same time as Oran Jones 'The Rain' and the Black Flames...

For now - http://www.lifeandsoulpromotions.co.uk/tashan.htm

It might be because it was Def Jam related that i'm drawing a blank,i didn't take the r&b coming from there serious.Even though the ORAN JUICE song was fun at the time.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I certainly learned a "new" definition of Modern Soul when I came to Soul Strut, mainly a blanket term for boogie/R&B/soulful disco, etc, whereas I had always heard it used before to mean mid-to-late 70's and even 80's records that maintained a stylistic tie to earlier "soul" singing...ugh, whatever, here's some albums in the SoulStrutModernSoul?? genre, a couple cause they "essential" a couple cause they dope:

[

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    ooops, forgot this one:

"When You Wake Up Tomorrow" is the shit.

mainly a blanket term for boogie/R&B/soulful disco, etc,

That's what i was applying term to also.There's some soulful cuts to be found on those albums as well.

• just got a digicam..pics didn't work before hope they do now

• lefunkmoblefunkmob 28 Posts

I want this(without donating two kidneys)

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    just got a digicam..pics didn't work before hope they do now

Finally - somebody got Sam Dees into this thread!

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    sorry adam for disrespecting your views of modern soul yesterday. if what you believe to be the modern soul sound is what you wrote in one of your posts then so be it. i will let myself agree to disagree with you and to now and forever never again speak about modern soul with you. im glad you enjoy the sound and that should be good enough for me. if we are ever to sit down and just play modern soul records and you pull out a mj record then let the record spin ill rock with you kid.

overall good music is good music to those who can appreciate it...

• GamleOleGamleOle 508 Posts
    I also have to mention this Swedish-only lp by Eddie Hinton. "I'll come runing (back to you)" is an okay blue-eyed modern soul tune from '86. I think this was his first lp. He previously played with Wilson Pickett, Solomon Burke, Staple Singers, Herbie Mann etc. It's the one in the left bottom corner. Niteflyte next to it, is cool too. Linda williams' also nice but that been up before.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    sorry adam for disrespecting your views of modern soul yesterday. if what you believe to be the modern soul sound is what you wrote in one of your posts then so be it. i will let myself agree to disagree with you and to now and forever never again speak about modern soul with you. im glad you enjoy the sound and that should be good enough for me. if we are ever to sit down and just play modern soul records and you pull out a mj record then let the record spin ill rock with you kid.

overall good music is good music to those who can appreciate it...

we needs to go toe-to-toe on that Gospel tip...Next time your in town your coming through and bringing that ALpablahblah Alto LP so I can make a burn and I'm rocking your skull with god-melters