Apocolypse Now v. Full Metal Jacket

Comments

• Apocalypse Now for sure.

Lance all i want back is the board, that's a good surf board...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

What are some of your other favorite 'Nam movies?

DEER HUNTER.

The thing which really stayed with me about this movie - and I didn't really get it until the third or fourth viewing - was how it seemed to be not so much about Vietnam as about notions of what it means to be American. Obviously, I'm not American, so I'm making a lot of assumptions here, but then again, in a way, neither are Michael, Nick and Steven. The hour or so at the beginning (which a lot of people seem to think is unnecessary) tells you volumes about the way they see themselves as patriotic Americans whilst still staying close to their Russian Orthodox roots, which are obviously hugely important to them as a community. The way they're portrayed as soldiers is noticeably different to the way in which US soldiers had been portrayed on screen prior to then. The exchange in the military hospital where the doctor asks Walken's character if his surname is a Russian name, and he says, no, it's an American name...man, fuck the Russian roulette sequence - that's the key moment in the film for me. No wonder he stays in Vietnam. The closing scene, where they all sit round singing "God Bless America", completely stripping away all the pride and patriotic fervour you'd normally associate with the song, and treating it like a lament, is absolutely heartbreaking. Great film.

save "Dr Strangleove" and "Clockwork Orange".

I believe you forgot about a little slice of brilliance called 2001.

And if you're going to talk about war movies generally...

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    Apocalypse was the first Epic/Big Budget Vietnam Movie that did not paint a pretty picture of Amoreikka's killing spree,That which resulted in a holocaust with 2 million dead north vietnamese people,countless cancers/birth defects[from agent orange],50,000 dead us troops and 5000,000 wounded.

It was made without the approval of the pentagon,and was released 3 years after the fall of saigon.A fairly current rendering of the chaos and US violence going on over there according to some of the old timers i knew that were there.
    To me it set a standard in for vietnam movies and was a major benchmark in his career [which he has yet to surpass]

another famous coppala quote referencing the production of that movie-

"We had access to too much money, too much equipment, and little by little we went insane."

FMJ was good but not as epic or dynamic or psychadelic/unreal/unfactual as apocalypse

what about
    Platoon
    Born on the fourth of july??

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    watch Tigerland if you haven't seen it. it stars colin farrell but the movie is actually really good.

And Colin Farrell is actually really good in it.

Have you tried watching this a second time? Pretty bad. I liked it at first too, but watch it again. Embarrassing dialogue, like a 16 year old wrote it. Check the scene when Colin and a buddy are sitting on a wall or some shit at night talking. Hilarious.

co-sign. that movie was pretty weak. I can see how it had that refreshing, low-budget feel. but it doesn't hold up.

S>Tigerland/S> should never be mentioned any where near these films.

Amoreikka's killing spree,That which resulted in a holocaust

dude get out of here please. there's grown people in here discussing important films.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

dude get out of here please. there's grown people in here discussing important films.

truth hurts don't it "grown man"
    2 million dead-the war in vietnam
    I used the word "holocaust"
    it was
    get over yourself

it was
    get over yourself

you are a douchebag who has time and again on this board revealed

1. your blind hatred for America, and
    2. your proclivities toward absurd hyperbole.

either shut up on topics like this or get off the board altogether.

you add nothing to these discussions.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Phone Booth

Embarrassingly bad. Nothing personal against you Doc, just some suspect calls today, IMHO...

Yeah the obvious HUGE fuck-up in the film being that there ARE NO FUCKING PHONEBOOTHS IN NYC.

Besides the boring, slow moving plot, and the fact that I kinda hated every character, the way NYC is depicted in that movie is a joke, its like some "back in the day New York" disneyland ride, so fucking fake....

Sorry, you guys were talking about war movies, carry on....

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    I've got the Apocalypse Now Soundtrack 2LP and it has vocal snippets all laced through it... blazing downtempo fodder for dayzzzz

I'd have to say that I like Apocalypse Now more than Full Metal Jacket. There's something about the whole film - a certain mystique or eerie-ness - that is more all encompassing than Pyle's creepiness/insanity in Full Metal Jacket. I really like the surrealism that just seeps through Apocalypse Now. Everything seems like a dream.

I've got the Apocalypse Now Soundtrack 2LP and it has vocal snippets all laced through it... blazing downtempo fodder for dayzzzz

I'd have to say that I like Apocalypse Now more than Full Metal Jacket. There's something about the whole film - a certain mystique or eerie-ness - that is more all encompassing than Pyle's creepiness/insanity in Full Metal Jacket. I really like the surrealism that just seeps through Apocalypse Now. Everything seems like a dream.

One of my boys used to have this on the o.g. vinyl. I haven't heard it in years and I didn't even know it was that widely available anymore (although, considering the Dead connection, it shouldn't have been a surprise that it is), but I remember it being a pretty interesting listen after a smoke.

Incidentally, has anyone ever seen the 5-1/2 hour bootleg/workprint version?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Apocalypse Now

• Neither of these films is as good as Miklos Jancso's "The Red and the White".

My favorite war film is Vincent Minnelli's "Some Came Running" starring Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin and a very very young -and beautiful- Shirley Maclaine.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Did any of you used to watch Tour of Duty?

In this series, I heard "What's going on" for the first time. I remember I immediately grabbed the taperecorder and tried to record from tv, but I was so excited that i just recorded some off-frequency radio noise, as the tuner was still on. That song grabbbed me literally immediately. The intro with the stones song always made me hope that there was other stuff coming on. Regarding FMJ or Apocalypse Now, I can't tell, have begun to watch both, but never managed to finish them [yeahthatjusthappened] Will do so one day, mos def.

I also like spr, the omaha beach scene is some other shit. Anyone remembers "Hamburger Hill"? The director was quoted with the words "If I wanted to be more realistic in the movie, I would have to let the actors really kill each other"

• rocco2nrrocco2nr 530 Posts
    watch Tigerland if you haven't seen it. it stars colin farrell but the movie is actually really good.

And Colin Farrell is actually really good in it.

Have you tried watching this a second time? Pretty bad. I liked it at first too, but watch it again. Embarrassing dialogue, like a 16 year old wrote it. Check the scene when Colin and a buddy are sitting on a wall or some shit at night talking. Hilarious.

I think that was kind of the point, it's completely anti-war-film-cliche. it's kind of like waiting for godot, nothing really epic happens through the whole movie.

it's just a good modern vietnam movie. i've seen apocalypse now and full metal jacket only about half a million times and they are over 20 years old. tigerland is a good take on an old topic.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

it was
    get over yourself

My god, criticism of the Vietnam war = "YOU HATE AMERICA"

Dude

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

it was
    get over yourself

Dude

indeed
    little brain-less lobotomized wind up toy dick goes back on ignore

ps-macnamara one of the cheif designers of the great north vietnemese extermination admitted in his biography that the war was "a mistake" and "wrong"
    hindsight is 20/20 "DOUCHEBAG........... BRAH"

it was
    get over yourself

Dude

jonny stay out of it dude; I'm not picking a fight with dude for no reason.

I'm the last one to ride for the Vietnam war.

but you clearly have not paid attention to this assclown's NRR posts over the few months he's been on the board.

dude exhibits some next-level ignorance. constantly.

(but hey if you want to ride for a little dude who doesn't know his ass from a hole in the wall just because I called him out, be my guest. I suspect you have no idea the type of ignorant fuck you're defending here though.)

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    quick someone get dicklessjizzblow a midol,a tampon,some chocolate and or an extra large sanitary napkin from the soulstrut vending machine in the girls room.

he is getting blood all over this motherfucker and the blood is seeping into the console and might short out the board
    o
    hurry

goes back on ignore

how does one respond to a poster he's supposedly ignoring?

serious question. see, I never took the bitch route with the ignore user function, so I don't know how it works.

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts

What are some of your other favorite 'Nam movies?

DEER HUNTER.

The thing which really stayed with me about this movie - and I didn't really get it until the third or fourth viewing - was how it seemed to be not so much about Vietnam as about notions of what it means to be American. Obviously, I'm not American, so I'm making a lot of assumptions here, but then again, in a way, neither are Michael, Nick and Steven. The hour or so at the beginning (which a lot of people seem to think is unnecessary) tells you volumes about the way they see themselves as patriotic Americans whilst still staying close to their Russian Orthodox roots, which are obviously hugely important to them as a community. The way they're portrayed as soldiers is noticeably different to the way in which US soldiers had been portrayed on screen prior to then. The exchange in the military hospital where the doctor asks Walken's character if his surname is a Russian name, and he says, no, it's an American name...man, fuck the Russian roulette sequence - that's the key moment in the film for me. No wonder he stays in Vietnam. The closing scene, where they all sit round singing "God Bless America", completely stripping away all the pride and patriotic fervour you'd normally associate with the song, and treating it like a lament, is absolutely heartbreaking. Great film.

Interesting, I will watch again tonight.
    My vote goes for

Is someone defending Vietnam? Anyone? Beuller?

I dont know whats happening here, and America has fucked up a lot of different ways over the years, and continues to do so. But, if you can't see any[/b] good in this country, then your obviously blinded by hate or ignorance, and your opinion basically means nothing me.

I like using my brain, fuck that knee jerk shit.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Actually Rootless I have met and bought records from the one Kala. I am simply a man of the people. I speak the dun language.

• I like using my brain, fuck that knee jerk shit.

Even McNamara thinks the war was a mistake. Do you REALLY like using your brain or are you just saying that?

• What are some of your other favorite 'Nam movies?

DEER HUNTER.

Interesting, I will watch again tonight.
    My vote goes for

The year this came out, my buddies and I went (paid) to see 'Richard Pryor Live on the Sunset Strip' , then snuck into the theater next door to see the 'Deer Hunter'. Quite the emotional roller coaster ride that Saturday.

Even McNamara thinks the war was a mistake. Do you REALLY like using your brain or are you just saying that?

My point was that its almost universally accepted that Vietnam was a huge fuckup. Whats your point?

• Is someone defending Vietnam? Anyone? Beuller?

I dont know whats happening here, and America has fucked up a lot of different ways over the years, and continues to do so. But, if you can't see any[/b] good in this country, then your obviously blinded by hate or ignorance, and your opinion basically means nothing me.

Speaking in general here, I have one word to say: SICKO...wait until the movie comes out, and I dont think anyone will have anything positive to say about america....

I saw it already (torrents are a hell'uv drug)...

SICKO...wait until the movie comes out, and I dont think anyone will have anything positive to say about america....

I bet you're wrong.

• SICKO...wait until the movie comes out, and I dont think anyone will have anything positive to say about america....

I bet you're wrong.

Here is the torrent, download it and see for yourself :

http://isohunt.com/torrents/?ihq=sicko