batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited June 2007 in Strut Central
VS.

Comments

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts

No competition. One is a nineties classic, the other is a sporadically enjoyable album that i suspect wouldn't hold up too well if i revisited it today.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    One is a nineties classic

Exactly.

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts

No competition. One is a nineties classic, the other is a sporadically enjoyable album that i suspect wouldn't hold up too well if i revisited it today.

I recently dug the DR Octagon LP out and it has not aged well at all !

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I have never heard Doomsday, but I'm still gonna go with it over the unlistenable embarassment that is the Dr. Octagon album.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I have never heard Doomsday

You might actually enjoy it.

I have never heard Doomsday

You might actually enjoy it.

I made a mental note to check it when you posted about it awhile back, but it hasn't exactly been at the top of my list of priorities.

I did buy those Fondle 'Em 12"s when he first re-emerged about ten years ago, but let them go long ago.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    the doom/sade song is my joint forever

same with 'girl let me touch you'

the doom/sade song is my joint forever

I cant seem to put this album down. And all the Fantastic 4 samples really touch my heart....

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    One is a Lollapalooza[/b] classic

seriously this thread is the worst look ever.

long after the bong smoke has cleared, you've had your Lallapalooza tribal band tattoos removed, and we've all had a good laugh over the infantile "project" that was Dr. Octagon....

....MF Doom's verses on Doomsday will still be very, very relevant. Dude's legacy is secure, even after questionable outings such as Dangerdoom. He's one of the nicest MCs ever, and Doomsday has the added bonus of great production.

this thread is like (candy) apples and oranges.

no contest.

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts

some good moments....
    VS.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

Yeahhh! You're listening to the sounds, from the Boogie Down Bronx!
    Kooool Keith!! Performing with Mean Jean, Cordio the Grand Wizard
    The Ill Brothers, at the T-Connection

Bust them flavors, more rap styles than Life Savors
    Damage kids with suits with champagne and fake alligators
    I'm for the repercussion, my style is bumrushin
    MC's get back, that black brother sound wack
    A bust a new style, grease your hair with NuNile
    Do wrecks flex the Bronx fronters that step up next
    New jacks can't rap, stomp your feet and make your hands clap
    The kid is booboo, your screw up on the mic is doodoo
    That's word to Mom Duke, you wack you get the boot
    It's Casanova, Bronx Kid all over
    Swift to shift top MC out to shoot the gift
    Morisena Projects, my neighbors took your Rolex
    You get action, talkin loud walkin up in Jackson
    My little cousin Bronx crew's about to move on you

Yeahhh! Patterson Projects is in the house!
    Webster's in the house! The Non is in the house!
    Melrose is in the house! Jackson, is in the house!
    Yeah!

I come real deal rap style back like Holyfield
    Check em at the door, and watch crews with steel
    With the L Brothers, we hittin freaks undercovers
    to the left side, you on the back door
    I got a OJ ready, with pink whitewalls
    Ah yes yes y'all, and you don't stop the body rock
    Cockblock my friends, you count tens in your Benz
    Rappers know they toy, I blast your rhyme skill
    kid yo, step up like Elroy
    You know the steelo, from New York to Puerto Rico
    You'll tell me bro... yeah, I'm Kool Keith chief
    You been out two weeks
    Don't try to ill, cause you're plastic no frill

Yeahhh! Next week at the P-A-L!!
    Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five!
    Battling Kool Herc and the Herculoids
    Afrika Bambaata and the Mighty Zulu Nation, Soulsonic and Cosmic
    Be there! Two dollars before ten!
    With special guests, the Cold, Crush, Brothers!

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts

some good moments....
    VS.

• (oh, I believe I forgot to mention I never even heard Doomsday)

DR Octagon lp when it first came out + Mushrooms = entertainment

(oh, I believe I forgot to mention I never even heard Doomsday)

^^^^ crackalack, not to dis you personally, but this is the problem with this thread.

Dr. Oct partisans = those whose memories of this album are generally drug-influenced b/w non-rap fans who had found an "experimental" album they could fuck with. BONUS: their girl "sorta liked it." And it follows that most of y'alll never really checked Doomsday or else gave it only a cursory listen.

seriously how many of you riding for Octagon have really listened to Doomsday more than once?

^^^^ crackalack, not to dis you personally, but this is the problem with this thread.

Dr. Oct partisans = those whose memories of this album are generally drug-influenced b/w non-rap fans who had found an "experimental" album they could fuck with. BONUS: their girl "sorta liked it." And it follows that most of y'alll never really checked Doomsday or else gave it only a cursory listen.

seriously how many of you riding for Octagon have really listened to Doomsday more than once?

Me. I know Doomsday off by heart and love most of it but i would part with it before the Dr Octagon LP. I don't know why people are fronting on the old Automator / Kool Keith / Q Bert collabo.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    I've never listened to Doomsday, although I never got into the whole M.F. Doom solo MC/producer thing. I pretty much didn't check back after Black Bastards. Is Doomsday really any different from the 10 or so albums MF Doom released in the following 4-5 years? Cuz I heard some of those by default and wasn't really moved by any of them.

Oh, I did buy that Viktor Vaughn album on a whim when it came out, it was alright, I think I might have already sold it...

I won't ride for Dr. Octagon really either though, it seemed like more of a joke than anything else, but produced like it was serious. Does that make sense? It was cool when I was 16. The collaboration was exciting at the time...

I don't know why people are fronting on the old Automator / Kool Keith / Q Bert collabo.

I don't think anyone is fronting on the "collabo." The pro-Dr. Oct faction is confusing a cool idea with a tepid finished product. While the pro-Doom faction is merely recognizing what is clearly the better album of the two.

and then there's a bunch of folls in here who never heard Doomsday but remember being high and listening to "Blue Flowers" while rubbing the side of their face against a blacklit felt poster of Smurfs emblazoned with the clever phrase "I Get High with a Little Help from my Friends."

Me. And there really isnt that much to compare except it was a re-invention/re-emergance for both MCs.

The sci-fi/comic cook themes are there as well. Both are Backpacker.

Doomsday has a DYI feel and Octagon is pretty polished.

Kool Keith > MF in terms of lyrics on the albums.

BONUS: their girl "sorta liked it."

Damn, dude, where do you meet these women?

Phish concerts?

• bass_feverbass_fever 974 Posts
    [quote

I have listened to both albums hundreds of times and still think Dr. Octagon is by far better...That being said, I am a huge KMD/MF Doom fan, but for me Dr. Octagon has way better beats (Automator mufukaz)and scratches (q-bert mufukaz)!!!
    And I can never get sick of Kool Keith either...Dr. Octagon = winner!!!!

What singles came off Doomsday?

and

Is there an official Instamental version or will the Metal fingers herbals feature the dubs?

BONUS: their girl "sorta liked it."

Damn, dude, where do you meet these women?

Phish concerts?

^^^^^ my point exactly.

I have heard clips off of Doomsday, and honestly..I didnt find any I heard of it that great. Dr Octagon was funny. I cant help it dumb fucks that dont know dick about rap happen to thing it was funny too. I guess yall feel the same with Sex Styles(which is my fav Keith album). Although I did lose count after Dr. Dooom.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

i'm still waiting for part two to this. wasn't feeling everything that came after this album.

• Kool Keith > MF in terms of lyrics on the albums.

Rootless, you gonna let this shit stand?

Dudes. Doomsday

• And another thing..I never really care for any other MF Doom output..or KMD too much. Sue me.