nah-nah-nah-nah-nuh-nuh-nuh BATMAN!!

Comments

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    And another thing. Where was Talia? She is crucial to the Ra's Al Ghul story.

At least we saw Gorden's kids so we may get a decent Batgirl around the 3 one.

He'll have to be the Commish by then. I saw the kids but i missed the daughters hair color. Was it red?

It was so fast I'm not sure. I made a mental note to check for it on a second viewing.

At least we saw Gorden's kids so we may get a decent Batgirl around the 3 one.

They need never bring Batgirl OR Robin into this group of films, thank you.

I would agree, that's just too much. Plus the moves would have to get up to Rocky sequal numbers to introduce that many people.

Damn good flick. Hatie Holmes was annoying as fuck. Did anyone else think gary oldman wasn't that good as the commish? But the dude from 28 days who played the Scarecrow was awesome. And I wasn't a fan of the fight sequences and chase sequences. I thought they went on far too long. But a damn good flick.

Wow I would disagree with that. I thought Gary did a good job. After all it's a while before Gorden is the comish. He's just a god cop in a city that's so dirty he'll get killed if he tries to be a hero. I think he showed that he felt powerless but teaming with Batman is what gives him hope.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    Damn good flick. Hatie Holmes was annoying as fuck. Did anyone else think gary oldman wasn't that good as the commish? But the dude from 28 days who played the Scarecrow was awesome. And I wasn't a fan of the fight sequences and chase sequences. I thought they went on far too long. But a damn good flick.

Wow I would disagree with that. I thought Gary did a good job. After all it's a while before Gorden is the comish. He's just a god cop in a city that's so dirty he'll get killed if he tries to be a hero. I think he showed that he felt powerless but teaming with Batman is what gives him hope.

You're right about his character, maybe Oldman was miscast?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

You're right about his character, maybe Oldman was miscast?
    No he wasnt, he just didnt have a whole lot a dialogue. His quiet style was fine.
    After Freeman,Caine,and Bale, somebody has to play the back.

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
    . Remember when Burton had the Joker kill the Waynes in the first movie?

I was wondering the same thing. Why would they change it...and if this isn't how it was in the comics why was the first one made that way?

I feel like I saw a different movie from you guys cause I give this one a "Serious" THUMBS DOWN! It was awfull! I felt all the characters sucked big time.

AND THIS...

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts

Fianlly, when did people start clapping at the end of movies? I've noticed this over the past few years and it's always at "nerd" movies like this. Happened last night. I mean I was happy, but I didn't feel the need to clap. Maybe if your at a screening with the actors/director etc.....

Remember doing it when I saw the first LOTR-movie. It was worth it, but of course, that??s for an entirely different thread.

- J

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

saying I haven't seen this new movie yet but I can't believe they're leaving her out

and yeah that batmobile is making me cry
    I hope they really pimp it out if they make another one

. Remember when Burton had the Joker kill the Waynes in the first movie?

I was wondering the same thing. Why would they change it...and if this isn't how it was in the comics why was the first one made that way?

It's just "artistic license". It's just a movie trick really. Have the good guy getting his but kicked, then durring the fight bad guy admits to killing the hero's family/friends, then suddenly good guy gets a second wind and fights back. Contrived? Yes! Just like all the James Bond villians that tell Bond their entire plot and then leave him in a room alone with a machine that's supose to kill him. JUST SHOOT THE BASTARD!

AND THIS...

Once again just a short cut for the movies. It moved things along quicker to have all of Batman's gear just wating for him in a research lab that he owned. Other wise they would have had 2 hours of him "pimping his ride" and making a rubber mold suit. They do show him making some of the stuff himself, but it's just another way movies cut corners. I kinda of expect this stuff when I go to a movie based on a book/comic etc.

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    I still say good movie!!! And will be next to my Shaw Brothers Collection... It will be lame if they don't get the same people... And no boy wonder! Also Henri Ducard Liam Nelson trained him not the ghoul... Ducard even said you where my greatest student... And can Morgan Freeman get some love!

Also Henri Ducard Liam Nelson trained him not the ghoul... Ducard even said you where my greatest student...

That got confusing. I was thinking that Ducard was Ra all along, But your impression is that he just took on Ra's identity as a front? I wasn't sure either way, but they way your saying I think is the right interpretation. Ra was the old guy Bruce fought and killed and then Bruce saved Ducard thinking maybe he would get over it and realize killing was wrong. Bruce even says as much in the party scene, but I still wasn't sure.

Also Henri Ducard Liam Nelson trained him not the ghoul... Ducard even said you where my greatest student...

That got confusing. I was thinking that Ducard was Ra all along, But your impression is that he just took on Ra's identity as a front? I wasn't sure either way, but they way your saying I think is the right interpretation. Ra was the old guy Bruce fought and killed and then Bruce saved Ducard thinking maybe he would get over it and realize killing was wrong. Bruce even says as much in the party scene, but I still wasn't sure.

Ducard is Ra's Al Ghul. The old man was just a front(figurehead). At the party Ducard had someone else fufilling the role. Kinda like a Ronald Macdonald. Ducard ran the show.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I love the fact Batmon is posting in the Batman thread, seriously. I'm not jokering around. ZING!

• Saw it last night and enjoyed it. It definitely more than held my interest. The hallucinations were awesome. Some criticisms, though -

Fight scenes were very hard to follow, too much editing, made me long for the fight scenes in "Old Boy" which were done in one take with one camera shot

Whenever Batman would talk while he was wearing the suit, his voice and the way he moved his lips reminded me of Pee-Wee Herman!

Saw it last night and enjoyed it. It definitely more than held my interest. The hallucinations were awesome. Some criticisms, though -

Fight scenes were very hard to follow, too much editing, made me long for the fight scenes in "Old Boy" which were done in one take with one camera shot

Whenever Batman would talk while he was wearing the suit, his voice and the way he moved his lips reminded me of Pee-Wee Herman!

"Paging MR.Herman,come in Mr. Herman"

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I just saw it yesterday and there was so much hype that I wound up being let down. Good movie, but didn't quite live up to the hype. If I hadn't heard anything about it I would have loved it. HJ liked it a lot.

I was reading about Kung Fu movie and Hong Kong cinema and shit somwhere, and somebody had said that the directer pulls in too close usually when they don't have skilled martial artists fighting. That way you can't really tell that they don't know what they are doing. I definitely hated the fights. If you're gonna have a fight scene, then do it right, otherwise just forget it. They shoulda had Sammo Hung choreograph the fights. That would have been perfect. Then Yuen Wo Ping for all the flying around shit. Don't leave that stuff to white folks.

Also, most of the training on the mountain was sword training, and when does batman ever use a sword? The ninja stuff makes sense because he is a ninja type guy. He should have been learning shaolin kungfu or some shit because he is a hand to hand type guy.

Batmobile = lame.

I think if this movie was combined with the Tim Burton movie it would have been perfect. I liked Burton's vision of Gotham City as a gothic type place. And his batmobile was better too. And the score. I was really bummed that they didn't keep the batman theme from burton's versions. That was a GREAT theme.

Thank god there is no robin. robin is the worst.

scarecrow was dope. Gordon actually looked like the comic book gordon this time, so I liked that.

I'll definitely rent it when it comes out.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Oh, and Katie Holmes looks mildly retarded to me. Like a bizarre puppy dog or something. I dont get the attraction at all.

Also, most of the training on the mountain was sword training, and when does batman ever use a sword? The ninja stuff makes sense because he is a ninja type guy. He should have been learning shaolin kungfu or some shit because he is a hand to hand type guy.

In the comics, Batman is proficient at many weapons. He has fought Ra's Al Ghul on many occasions w/ a sword. I've seen him fence, and use many other cultural weaponry. Remember in the first movie, Bruce had a hall of statues w/ warriors from a variety of cultures. His training is a myriad of many cultures which this movie touched on briefly. The scene where he first hit the temple and Ducard names all the styles Bruce tries to employ while attacking him is an example.

• PSellersPSellers 157 Posts
    I saw this film today. First off I must state I'm not the biggest Batman fan sure I like Batman but don't know loads about him, saw the films ages ago used to watch the cartoons, read a few comics books etc but never too deep.

I thought the film was good but I certainly had some niggles with it.

I found the pacing for me to be really off I just found the film quite disjointed the way it played out sometimes (the only way I can describe it) for me was like watching a 2 hour trailer its hard to explain but I never felt deep with in it.

The film also for me didn't really have a major standout part it was always building towards something and then kinda went flat.

Maybe I'm getting lame but comic book movies have not really been tickling my fancy that much, Sin City was cool enough incredible style but other than that I couldn't really see the attraction, don't get me wrong again though I liked it.

I must say I thought Bale was excellent, as soon as he donned the cape he was Batman and was almost possesed, quite insane.

In general I liked the vision for Batman and enjoyed the take on him, Batman wasn't just a gimmick like he has been in other iterations.

Overall I had heard so many good things about this film that I was bound to be a bit underwhelmed but yeah by no means a bad film. I would like to see it again and maybe do a little more homework on Batman and then I might like it even more and for some reason I want to like it more.

• I found the pacing for me to be really off I just found the film quite disjointed the way it played out sometimes (the only way I can describe it) for me was like watching a 2 hour trailer its hard to explain but I never felt deep with in it.

I felt the exact same way, I even said to the person I was watching it with how it was like a really long trailer.

The scenes were all too quick, they just cut to the most important line like it would in a trailer, they never gave it a chance to breathe and build, like they were trying to cram too much into the movie.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Saw it last night on an IMAX screen and oooowwwwweeeee - was it ever good!
    I'm not a Batman fan - the only movie I've seen is the very first one and I didn't read the comics or anything like that - I just went as a movie fan.
    I loved the pacing - for an action movie based on a comic, I thought the pacing made sense. I loved that the battle scenes were totally confusing and blurry - isn't fighting like that? It was a beautiful film for sure - the look was simultaneously slick and raw. A weak love storyline can ruin a good action film, so I'm glad that didn't get in the way. The Scarecrow - wicked! And Christian Bale was perfect with his square jaw and trembling mouth and rippling forearms, I mean, uhhh yea - good acting. The kid who played young Bruce Wayne was good, too. I think I might see it again.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    And Christian Bale was perfect with his square jaw and trembling mouth and rippling forearms, I mean, uhhh yea - good acting.

haha! i really don't know he went from looking ribcagey iggy pop-like to massive. i think he is the best batman so far - and yeah, i like that scratchy voice he uses when he's batman. it sounds like some kind of dodgy gangster dude from the 1940s

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    And Christian Bale was perfect with his square jaw and trembling mouth and rippling forearms, I mean, uhhh yea - good acting.

haha! i really don't know he went from looking ribcagey iggy pop-like to massive. i think he is the best batman so far - and yeah, i like that scratchy voice he uses when he's batman. it sounds like some kind of dodgy gangster dude from the 1940s

Bale is probably one of the few actors which i respect, even when he was a kid he was the most non annoying child actor i had seen in empire of the sun

did any of you see the machinist, his last role before batman?

• I thought this thread was about:

Bale is probably one of the few actors which i respect, even when he was a kid he was the most non annoying child actor i had seen in empire of the sun

Yea - it was great.

SPOILER

I especially liked how the weird and saccharine exchanges he had with the waitress made sense once you realize it's all in his head and it's his fairytale version of a romance. Until then, it was so out of place, like a different person directed those sequences.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

yeah, i saw it. that's what i meant when he i said he was all iggy pop ribcagey. it was alright. i liked him in american psycho the best.

Oh yea - interesting litte fact about C Bale is that he's Gloria Steinem's stepson.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

SPOILER

I especially liked how the weird and saccharine exchanges he had with the waitress made sense once you realize it's all in his head and it's his fairytale version of a romance. Until then, it was so out of place, like a different person directed those sequences.

actually i think the waitress represented his mom, cause i think somewhere else in the movie there is a photo of bale and his mom that is almost identical to the one he takes with her at the amusement park, i have to watch it again, i have not seen it since it was in the theaters, i will prob buy the dvd, cause i think brad anderson is one of the best directors around right now, and i am stoked he is doing a remake of romero's the crazies

the writer of the machinist was the same guy that wrote the remakes of texas chainsaw massacre and the amityville horror, it is quite amazing that someone who wrote those wrote something actually interesting

SPOILER

actually i think the waitress represented his mom, cause i think somewhere else in the movie there is a photo of bale and his mom that is almost identical to the one he takes with her at the amusement park

that sounds familiar - i only saw it once at the theatre as well. it would make sense given all the allusions to the subconcious, repression, virgin/whore female figures/love interests, and other psychology 101 stuff that I don't know too much about but recognize superficially.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Oh, and Katie Holmes looks mildly retarded to me. Like a bizarre puppy dog or something. I dont get the attraction at all.

Cosign. Also, I saw one critic point out how Holmes is supposed to be playing this tough-ass attorney with the DA, but you have a hard time believing she's anything more than an intern.

I agree with the criticisms of the fight scenes as well--they seemed too cluttered, and you just had to assume that Batman was whoopin' ass because you couldn't actually follow what was going on.

But the movie was solid overall. I kinda liked how it conveyed the sense that Batman wasn't some fully-formed epiphany of Bruce's but merely a notion, which meant he was more or less making it up as he went along.