The Beastie Boys new look...

PonyPony 2,283 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
Couldn't find the previous thread about thier new record so...

I can hang with this for the summertime.

Comments

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    isnt the new album entirely instrumental? i kinda like that.

• GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts

When is that comin out?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Couldn't find the previous thread about thier new record so...

I can hang with this for the summertime.

This sounds like they've just discovered the Beta Band or something. It's OK, but if people start raving about their "innovative and daring new direction", then it'll be time to break out the graemlin.

• Tune is ok. Im pretty optimistic about the new album. Hopefully itll wash away the stil lingering aftertaste of that turd of an lp they dropped last time out.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    But I already have a copy of this...

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

is this the first instrumental joint they've done since the one with the perrey/kingsley rip off cover?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    But I already have a copy of this...a least the first half anyways

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    blah blah blah
    seriously ...more million aire white boy funkless in 07
    please
    and no thanx
    the big news is yauch is producing the next bad brains project which i hope he doesnt ruin

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

the big news is yauch is producing the next bad brains project which I hope hr doesn't ruin

In all seriousness though, Bad Brains need to release some real hardcore joints again, they are way overdue for a decent 'comeback' release.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    If the rest of the album is in a similar style then i already like it more than their last release.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    wack

• I really want to like this stuff, but it sounds "okay" at best. Their instrumental stuff has always relied mainly on Money Mark while the rest of them just kind tag along and fill up space. Mike D is a good drummer, but Ad-rock is about as good of a guitarist as I am and I'm hella average.

Plus this album cover is atrocious.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Y'all are haters. This is hot shit, their voices were going the way of Run DMC anyhoo so they damn well better do an instrumental record. Sure other groups have a similar sound, but good music is good music.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    I've had the album for the last couple of weeks. There are a few tracks that are very dope. Overall it's pretty solid IMO.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    So far it sounds a lot like this dudes stuff...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

File under "downtempo".

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    that tune in the video is

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    no disrespect but this sounds like a bunch of average musicians jamming in a garage...its not bad but i think this is proably more fun to play than to listen to.

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    i dunno im digging it. Im into poets of rhythm, el Michaels and the jamband type shit so i can roll with this.

• I want to like it, but it's pretty boring. I couldn't make it all the way through the clip.

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    File under "downtempo".

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    that tune in the video is

tired with no balls? fa sho.

• blah blah blah
    seriously ...more million aire white boy funkless in 07
    please
    and no thanx
    the big news is yauch is producing the next bad brains project which i hope he doesnt ruin

uhh... that new brains thing is

somebody upped it a couple weeks ago on the boundless board, and it was one of those things that i deleted after listening to...

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    I enjoy this more than their whole previous lp put together.

That said, this:

no disrespect but this sounds like a bunch of average musicians jamming in a garage...its not bad but i think this is proably more fun to play than to listen to.
    ...certainly applies.

The guitar noodling in the first half of the song kills it for me. I'm feeling the drums and bass. The second half is better, but the progression kinda drags a bit. I was sorta bored of it before it ended.

I'm definitely interested in this side of the Beastie Boys. ( )
    I just hope the album isn't all soooo "jam-y".

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Plus this album cover is atrocious.

You are trippin' that cover is killing it!
    That clip was decent, kill the jammy jammerson and make it a bit tighter and
    you'd have a much better song.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    the B part does have some sauce though. good melody. the A part with the gtr noodling is tepider. overall 100x better than their last effort, but still has that 'stoned jamming in a garage' thing that cant compare to the far superior El Michaels styles.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    As a true fan I have to say that shit sucked balls. Lots of balls, lots of very average balls. Honestly none of them has any kind of chops. Mike D was a joke on the skins.

What's weird is how good they were on the Check Your Head tour. Shit was tighter than hell.

• A new bad brains?