How do you record your mixes?

saulgravysaulgravy 112 Posts
edited May 2007 in Strut Central
i'm trying to record a live mix from my turntables to goldwave. seems ok so far.. what does everyone use to make mix cds? anyone still use cassettes?

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    This is a good question. I am getting ready to make a lot more mixes and burn them to CD. I'm thinking Audacity would be ok to do it with. Does anyone have experiences recording mixes to audacity and if so, are there any settings and things I should be aware of?

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I've been using Cool Edit for about 5 years for recording mixes. I just got an MBox so now I'm on Pro Tools. For straight live recording, I record straight into Microwave using the Rane TTM 57 mixer.

• cd recorder like a tascam CDRW 700 or 900 is another option, just track mark after the fact. very stable, never gets digi clips.

• anyone seen or mess with this:

korg mr-1

• DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts
    What gear do you currently have? Having a decent soundcard is half the battle imo.

In the past I've gone from the mixer straight into pro tools, then done a little bit of subtle mastering using plug-ins like waves or ozone. I don't have access to a pro tools rig now though

You can just as easily use something like cubase or adobe audition. People say good things about audacity too, but personally i've never used it.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    Pro Tools M Box. I'm digging it.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    This is a good question. I am getting ready to make a lot more mixes and burn them to CD. I'm thinking Audacity would be ok to do it with. Does anyone have experiences recording mixes to audacity and if so, are there any settings and things I should be aware of?
    I use Audacity, it's ok. Just plug it all in, check the levels & go for it. The effects are real helpful to use when you are mastering, compression, amplification etc. Just watch out if you go to save the audacity file for a entire mix because those files are huge & the first time I tried it crashed my laptop & I lost the entire thing. I usually try to record & edit it all in one session then export it straight away as an mp3 or wav file & then just don't bother saving the audacity file because you can always re-import the wav into audacity again later if needed.

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    i have a soundblaster xfi with the panel that has rca ins ..works nice..
    recordin the sound using sony acid 5.0

• soulbrono1soulbrono1 205 Posts
    what about you folks using final scratch or Microwave? do you use the same computer running the program to record the mix? doesn't seem possible, unless you have a really high end machine or the program lets you do it somehow.

• records to the dps, then dps to the cd burner which has a limiter on it so the sound doesnt clip/distort.then i make copies using my computer.kind of old school way of doin things but its the only way i know how, although im about to start messing with cooledit thanks to peacefulrotation

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    what about you folks using final scratch or Microwave? do you use the same computer running the program to record the mix? doesn't seem possible, unless you have a really high end machine or the program lets you do it somehow.

using a Rane 57 you can record your set live as an AIF in Se[/b]rato using the computer you're playing on. some nights in the club I'll record for 3-4 hours with no problems. but if I'm using Cool Edit or Pro Tools, I use a different computer for the recording.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

for home, ive used wiretap (mac related) and then s.erato on the same machine. wiretap is doesnt hogg much cpu, so it works real smooth. i wouldnt do it in the clurb though.

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts

+

+

+

+

+

+

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts

for home, ive used wiretap (mac related) and then s.erato on the same machine. wiretap is doesnt hogg much cpu, so it works real smooth. i wouldnt do it in the clurb though.

Is it really easy to use ?....

• SyminSymin 999 Posts

All the way live, y'all!!
    this method looks great, but im concerned with that plug not working in my socket.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    [quote

Step up your spelling game son!

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    You dont even want to know whats written on the back of those letter-tags

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

Is it really easy to use ?....

mad easy. and really robust. ive been using it to record lectures while i use my comp in class. real helpful.

wiretap has an automated record funtion too that will open a file (ie a real audio stream file) and will record, save with a name you want (and date), and put it in a spot of your choosing. its what i usta do before podcasting got pervasive. its not hard to find a serial, but it only costs $15.

only qualm is that its peak meter isn't very big.. but it does have an "overload" light so thats cool.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

All the way live, y'all!!
    this method looks great, but im concerned with that plug not working in my socket.

• All the way live, y'all!!

10/10

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I need help with this very subject!

I recently moved all my equipment so that I could hook up my tables to my PC for recordation. Now granted, I don't have the greatest setup as I'm using home speakers (2 15" Cerwin Vegas) and running everything through my onboard soundcard.

After a couple days (I am not tech savvy) I finally figured out how to get everything working properly as far as recording and playback (via Cubase). It works just fine when I record straight through (such as a live mix), but I run into a major problem when trying to multitrack. When I'm mixing along with whatever I've already recorded, the mix is like half a note off, yet sounds perfect when I'm actually recording it. Effin' strange! Why is that?! Does Cubase have a "make it sound like a trainwreck" button I forgot to turn off? Please help!!!

Herm

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

I recently moved all my equipment so that I could hook up my tables to my PC for recordation. Now granted, I don't have the greatest setup as I'm using home speakers (2 15" Cerwin Vegas) and running everything through my onboard soundcard.

After a couple days (I am not tech savvy) I finally figured out how to get everything working properly as far as recording and playback (via Cubase). It works just fine when I record straight through (such as a live mix), but I run into a major problem when trying to multitrack. When I'm mixing along with whatever I've already recorded, the mix is like half a note off, yet sounds perfect when I'm actually recording it. Effin' strange! Why is that?! Does Cubase have a "make it sound like a trainwreck" button I forgot to turn off? Please help!!!

Herm
    Could be that your computer doesn't have enough juice to playback & record at the same time.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

Herm
    Could be that your computer doesn't have enough juice to playback & record at the same time.

Is there a temporary fix to this? Like can I close things down to up the speed/memory for Cubase?

Herm

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Right now I use this...

The legacy Digi 001.

I'm waiting on this....

The Digi 003 for pro tools.

You can record automation from this thing. Dub mixing attempt here I come. It's also midi assignable to other programs and hardware. I cant wait.

I saved $900 by trading in my 001. I only paid $700 for it so that's kinda like some profit.

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    I'm glad someone started this post as I was thinking of asking the same questions. In the past I've just used soundforge or audacity to record.
    My question is, I want to separate the tracks when I'm done. Should I cut them up in audacity then export them one at a time to wav or export the whole mix then use some sort of wav splitter to separate the tracks then burn to CD?
    any ideas?

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    Is there a temporary fix to this? Like can I close things down to up the speed/memory for Cubase?

Herm
    Theres a few tips for reducing latency here... http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=331631
    Its for adobe audition but i guess some of its still applicable.
    Sounds like you probably need more memory & maybe a new cpu but im no expert.