NBA Playoffs Batches!!!!

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I don't think there should be any backlash over the trophy. It's a regular season award. Nobody can take Dirk's performance over the course of the season away from him.

An interesting idea that was posed on ESPN was Dirk possibly turning down the award or refusing to accept it. That would be wild.

We can talk about whether Dirk is - in reality - the league's *MOST VALUABLE PLAYER* but as far as the award goes I don't think it's fair to take that away at this point.

• GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
    Dog, give us a day to analyze the series. Who in their right mind is going to be bringing up Dirk again in a few days?

We'll have the attendant backlash when they give him his trophy but after that i don't think you'll have anything to worry about, mmmmkay?

What is the timeline for that? Usually it's been awarded by this point in the playoffs, right?

It occurred to me that maybe it was being held back when the possibility that Dirk's team would make a first-round exit emerged as very real. Is it still possible it goes to someone else, or are the votes in and have just yet to be announced?

Despite being a committed Mavs-hater, I have to admit I feel a little bad for Dirk and Avery today.

Yeah. It does seem late to not know for sure yet. Maybe they're doing some backroom chicanery to spare the Big German the further embarassment. I wish they would.

You never know. I think Dirk's gonna win w/ something like 60-65% of the vote, but you can't count out the silent Nash majority.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I don't think there should be any backlash over the trophy. It's a regular season award. Nobody can take Dirk's performance over the course of the season away from him.

An interesting idea that was posed on ESPN was Dirk possibly turning down the award or refusing to accept it. That would be wild.

We can talk about whether Dirk is - in reality - the league's *MOST VALUABLE PLAYER* but as far as the award goes I don't think it's fair to take that away at this point.

No, but sports fandom often diverges from fairness.

I give you a lot of credit for coming into this thread and actually saying something.

Thank you. I sighed for about 1 minute straight as I plopped into my computer chair after smoking a "fuck this sucks" cigarette after the game last night. You guys have been pretty fair to me though in the aftermath so appreciation on that.

I think the series illustrated just how invaluable Dirk is - when he doesn't show up, the Mavs are little better than the rest of the NBA's middle-rung franchises.

He needed to step up, and he didn't - that makes him less great, not less valuable. Btw I am the president of the "Dirk Nowitski: Good, Not Great" club.

Btw I am the president of the "Dirk Nowitski: Good, Not Great" club.

That's cool.

Here's two more Good, not Greats:

Steve Nash
    Tracy McGrady

When Steve Nash emerges from his conference or even finally beats the fucking Spurs in a playoff series, maybe he can elevate.

Nash plays w/ way better teammates than Dirk does. I think we all see now, it's not even close.

Y're right on again, Paychecks, this series CLEARLY illustrates that the Mavs are thin on real high-level talent behind Dirk and Josh. I love JET but damn he frustrates. And surely y'all see the rollercoaster that is Jerry Stackhouse. "Stack...NO...NO...YES!!!!!!!" "STack...NO..just, NO".

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Dog, give us a day to analyze the series. Who in their right mind is going to be bringing up Dirk again in a few days?

We'll have the attendant backlash when they give him his trophy but after that i don't think you'll have anything to worry about, mmmmkay?

Oh, I wasn't saying right quit Dirk-riding right away, and not that I'm pointing any fingers, it's just that the tendency of some posters to still be talking about certain players after their relevance this season has disappeared in a flamboyant fashion is a bit annoying. So far, I haven't seen you fly off the handle or post 37 pictures of *somebody* dunking for no reason in the thread-- you're handling the loss well so far.

But what do I know? I'm obviously a non-baller and make weak chest passes.

NOT HATEFUL:

Does anyone watch that series and go, "Damn, Baron Davis, you sure have kinda frittered away a career"?

Dude has always been a sick baller but the production hasn't been there consistently.

Btw I am the president of the "Dirk Nowitski: Good, Not Great" club.

That's cool.

Here's two more Good, not Greats:

Steve Nash
    Tracy McGrady

When Steve Nash emerges from his conference or even finally beats the fucking Spurs in a playoff series, maybe he can elevate.

Nash plays w/ way better teammates than Dirk does. I think we all see now, it's not even close.

Y're right on again, Paychecks, this series CLEARLY illustrates that the Mavs are thin on real high-level talent behind Dirk and Josh. I love JET but damn he frustrates. And surely y'all see the rollercoaster that is Jerry Stackhouse. "Stack...NO...NO...YES!!!!!!!" "STack...NO..just, NO".

Very much agree on McGrady, who is a personal favorite. I guess we'll see about Nash.

I am not trying to rub it in on your team. I too believed that the Mavs were too deep for the Warriors - but a lot of the Mavs players are made relevant by having Dirk, JET, and Howard performing up to snuff. Terry is indeed streaky. I never expect much from Stackhouse but it's clear that yall do. Howard is sick.

Mavs big men remind me of the last time the Warriors were close to playoff contenders - Tyrone Hill! Chris Gatling! ugh. Those were dark times.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    Same could be said for a player like Nash-- there are certain players I think just need to be in a truly unique (a la: Nellie or D'Antoni) system to get everything firing on all cylynders. Some players w/ a lot of potential never find that, and never fully realize their capabilities (KG, Pierce, etc). It's actually a bit tragic. Imagine this system and players like this set w/ Davis in Oakland 4-5 seasons ago under Nellie, Davis would be a superstar in the L.

I guess we'll see about Nash.

To this point, he's done less Larry O'Brien trophy related than #41. AT least Dirk sniffed one, w/ his squad besting Nash's along the way.

Like you said, we'll see. We'll see the Spurs win again in two weeks is what we'll see.

Get ready for Spurs/Pistons round 2 is what I'm starting to think we've got shaping up for the Finals.

No offense to Dubs, Cavs, Rockets, Nets and Jazz fans, but Chi/Det and Phx/SA could very well represent the so-called "Finals" for the respective conferences.

I think the series illustrated just how invaluable Dirk is - when he doesn't show up, the Mavs are little better than the rest of the NBA's middle-rung franchises.

He needed to step up, and he didn't - that makes him less great, not less valuable. Btw I am the president of the "Dirk Nowitski: Good, Not Great" club.

Well, maybe, but you also have to consider the fact that he's been there as a major factor all season and rather suddenly didn't show up; a lot of players' value is exaggerated when their absence is sudden. Remember how valuable Joe Johnson suddenly appeared by virtue of his absence in the '05 playoffs? But then when he got ass-hurt and departed for Atlanta over the summer, the Suns retooled, found other ways to get what Johnson had been providing them and had a great '06 season. In other words, had Dirk spent the season sporadically injured and only occasionally available, the Mavs probably would have actually looked a lot better in this series. And shouldn't the ability to show up to play every game when you're not suffering from a crippling injury be a factor in "value"?

But I agree with you that if somebody felt he was the regular season MVP before the playoffs then what happened there shouldn't change that fact.

NOT HATEFUL:

Does anyone watch that series and go, "Damn, Baron Davis, you sure have kinda frittered away a career"?

Dude has always been a sick baller but the production hasn't been there consistently.

The dude is perpetually injured, though, and it's not like it totally came out of nowhere--at the beginning of the '04-'05 (I think) season, which may have been the last time he was truly healthy, people were talking about him as a possible MVP candidate.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    NOT HATEFUL:

The dude is perpetually injured, though, and it's not like it totally came out of nowhere--at the beginning of the '04-'05 (I think) season, which may have been the last time he was truly healthy, people were talking about him as a possible MVP candidate.

Davis cant play a full season.

So let me share this with you guys.

I'm in a pretty bad place today, but I'm dealing. It's just sports, y'know. But then our division president at the homebuilding company for which I work sends this email out to our whole division, about 200 people:

Austin Team,

They say time flies when your having fun and, believe it or not, mid-year is already just around the corner. This is also (my company's) 50th Birthday, so lets have some fun with a Parking Lot Party Challenge and close out Q2 with a bang! Yes, I can see it now, me and a few other lucky participants working the BBQ pit, while the rest of you enjoy live music and celebrate the big win. Hopefully, Brian Davis will be over the Maverick's total collapse by then and will be able to join us. Sorry Brian, I couldn't help myself.

GenePontecorvo = Brian Davis

I'm in a pretty bad place today, but I'm dealing. It's just sports, y'know. But then our division president at the homebuilding company for which I work sends this email out to our whole division, about 200 people:

Austin Team,

They say time flies when your having fun and, believe it or not, mid-year is already just around the corner. This is also (my company's) 50th Birthday, so lets have some fun with a Parking Lot Party Challenge and close out Q2 with a bang! Yes, I can see it now, me and a few other lucky participants working the BBQ pit, while the rest of you enjoy live music and celebrate the big win. Hopefully, Brian Davis will be over the Maverick's total collapse by then and will be able to join us. Sorry Brian, I couldn't help myself.

At least the e-mail didn't contain the word "ass-hurt" anywhere.

damn son.

Austin Team,

At least the e-mail didn't contain the word "ass-hurt" anywhere.

Yes. At least.

That's Spurs fan for ya. Fuckers.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts

That's Spurs fan for ya.

One thing we can agree on. How can the Spurs even have fans?

Parking Lot Party Challenge

elaborate pleez....

elaborate pleez brah....

elaborate pleez....

Yeah, they just throw a BBQ w/ a band and beer every now and then to reward the peeps. They're throwing down the gauntlet of a work-related goal that needs to be met to reap the reward of a "Parking Lot Party". I work w/ country fools.

elaborate pleez....

Yeah, they just throw a BBQ w/ a band and beer every now and then to reward the peeps. They're throwing down the gauntlet of a work-related goal that needs to be met to reap the reward of a "Parking Lot Party". I work w/ country fools.

What kind of music? And do u have blappable co-workers?

elaborate pleez....

What kind of music? And do u have blappable co-workers?

Oh yeah. There's always 10-15 blappables at any time in my company. Mostly on the Sales staff. And they like to drink. I'm married though so y'know.....

You guys would hate the music. Bar/cover band shit.

50% chance you'll end up at a strip club w/ female co-workers on a night like this. It has its positives.

Back to Basketball. GP.

What REALISTIC changes would u like to see in the offseason?

Back to Basketball. GP.

Too early to tell. I'd have to read up on available FAs or players that teams are willing to deal.

The first thing I thought of last night: "Trade for KG" That would cost Josh at least though, I'd imagine.

Who's gonna wanna trade for JET? OR Damps?

Tops on the wish-list would be a player that can score on the low block and real perimeter defenders. Buck and George were supposed to be that but when they were needed most they didn't deliver.

Back to Basketball. GP.

Too early to tell. I'd have to read up on available FAs or players that teams are willing to deal.

The first thing I thought of last night: "Trade for KG" That would cost Josh at least though, I'd imagine.

Who's gonna wanna trade for JET? OR Damps?

Tops on the wish-list would be a player that can score on the low block and real perimeter defenders. Buck and George were supposed to be that but when they were needed most they didn't deliver.

If your got a Scoring/Defending PF, u could move Nowitzski to Center play a Okur type of role, since he's not really an inside banger.

Kidd back in Dallas?

Jermaine O'Neal next to Nowitzski? HHmmmmmmm?

Dood. Dirk at the 5 is an abomination. Please....no.

He's fine at the 4. Against 28 other teams that don't start a combo swingman at the 4, he's Goldie. You start matching him up on 3s and you got problems.

Jermaine O'Neal would be an absolutely perfect fit. Didn't y'all originally draft Dampier...maybe we can work something out!

Dood. Dirk at the 5 is an abomination. Please....no.

He's fine at the 4. Against 28 other teams that don't start a combo swingman at the 4, he's Goldie. You start matching him up on 3s and you got problems.

Jermaine O'Neal would be an absolutely perfect fit. Didn't y'all originally draft Dampier...maybe we can work something out!

Yeah I used to rock Dampier on NBA LIVE. They programmed his ass like he was gonna be next level but all he really did was level off.

Jermaine wont play 5 so

Dirk .....Roaming 5
    O'Neal .... Shooting/Scoring/Blocking/Postup 4
    Howard - 3

You back court is on u.

Harris showed some nuts. But who does he share the backcourt w/? A BIg shooting Guard ala Grant Hill/Morris Peterson/Desmond Mason?