People sharing your album: how to react?

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Danno really has any say about what is posted in that forum.
    that was in this very forum. not real headz

OK, my mistake... but I still don't really see a valid connection.
    do you really not? i'm sure if danno's comp was posted on this forum or another strutter's music was, shit would be taken down.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

do you really not? i'm sure if danno's comp was posted on this forum or another strutter's music was, shit would be taken down.

of course it would. but this is not even Dan's site... he is just moderating on a voluntary basis. So what if he didn't delete Bjork MP3's. How does that make him some huge hypocrite?

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

of course it would. but this is not even Dan's site... he is a just moderating on a voluntary basis. So what if he didn't delete Bjork MP3's. How does that make him some huge hypocrite?

How the hell is he going to complain about his music being traded when AS A MODERATOR he allows and may even participate in it on this site?

c'mon the connection is not that hard to make.

g***ges is killin it. whut up yo!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

dor - I really think we might see the end of play de as we know it in 5 yrs time.

You think it will be that long? To be totally honest. I'm not sure play de would still be around if it wasn't for the fact that E's family owns the building. I couldn't imagine what the rent would be there a month. 10-12 grand a month???

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

of course it would. but this is not even Dan's site... he is just moderating on a voluntary basis. So what if he didn't delete Bjork MP3's. How does that make him some huge hypocrite?
    im just saying that if you're taking such a heavy stance against downloading, you might want to respect the rights of other artists, especially if you are in a position to do something about it. i don't see what him being a "voluntary" moderator has to do with anything.

of course it would. but this is not even Dan's site... he is a just moderating on a voluntary basis. So what if he didn't delete Bjork MP3's. How does that make him some huge hypocrite?

How the hell is he going to complain about his music being traded when AS A MODERATOR he allows and may even participate in it on this site?

I see how it conveniently ties in for you guys, but it's a stretch to say the least. I would liken it to saying "you don't have the right to be upset that your house was robbed because you don't make it a habit to tackle fleeing bank robbers while walking home from work".

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

I see how it conveniently ties in for you guys, but it's a stretch to say the least. I would liken it to saying "you don't have the right to be upset that your house was robbed because you don't make it a habit to tackle fleeing bank robbers while walking home from work".

But in this analogy, you're a cop.

just sayin.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

as if that analogy aint a stretch? regardless of whether he is a voluntary moderator or not, he has a job to moderate the forum.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    no man he's a police volunteer so he can just do whatever he wants

just sayin.

I disagree. He's more like an old guy who volunteers to do security at a museum for free. Like I said, this isn't Dan's website. It's not his job to police everything that goes on here... and you guys would be all over him if he tried.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I disagree. He's more like an old guy who volunteers to do security at a museum for free. Like I said, this isn't Dan's website. It's not his job to police everything that goes on here... and you guys would be all over him if he tried.
    regardless if he's a volunteer or not, he still has responsibility. if he does not want that responsibility, he can relinquish his position like all people can. i am not complaining about any of the moderating on this forum because i think it's fine but complaining about illegal downloading while very much of it goes on in a forum that you moderate (and therefore have responsiblity over) is pretty lame.

did someone flash the bat signal for you to post in this thread or something?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

just sayin.

How bout we call him a retired cop with one leg.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    How about the massive difference between posting
    a single track from a forthcoming album on a message
    board to be listened to and discussed, and posting
    an entire CD on a blog to be downloaded with the
    express idea of then not needing to purchase said CD?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    I have not time or patience to read this ridiculously long thread, but to address this last part here regarding the Bjork MP3: sharing of that file could potentially INCREASE her album's sales but I do not understand how it could decrease her album sales. Very much similar to if some blogger were to post a track or two from the Cuban comp it could increase sales but almost certainly not decrease them.

edit: SoulonIce beat me to it

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    How about the massive difference between posting
    a single track from a forthcoming album on a message
    board to be listened to and discussed, and posting
    an entire CD on a blog to be downloaded with the
    express idea of then not needing to purchase said CD?
    you know that there is much more than single tracks being shared here

regardless if he's a volunteer or not, he still has responsibility. if he does not want that responsibility, he can relinquish his position like all people can. i am not complaining about any of the moderating on this forum because i think it's fine but complaining about illegal downloading while very much of it goes on in a forum that you moderate (and therefore have responsiblity over) is pretty lame.

did someone flash the bat signal for you to post in this thread or something?

This is where we're disagreeing I guess. I don't think he has any responsibility to do anything here. He is a non-paid moderator. I'm sure he does not even follow every post here.

How bout we call him a retired cop with one leg.

haha!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

what's so fucking profound in creating a comp???

license all the music...which means reconnecting with the artists and whatever contracts they previously had, remastering the music, compiling liner notes, and sorting through tons of records to bring people the best of the best. When you buy a compilation, you are essentially paying for someone's knowlege that they have spent years accumulating, as well as their hard work in packaging it in an accessible and organized way for you

Again - it's one's take on the "best of the best" I love how people act like because they feel compelled to condense a time frame to a handful of songs that action by proxy makes it a profound statement. And what's Danno bitching about??? That people are stealing "HIS MUSIC." Fuck that sense of entitlement bullshit.

I have little doubt that Danno has invested more time and money into this project than many new 'original' works have. Perhaps you don't think this is worth anything, but the fact is music like this simply isn't available without folks willing to devote themselves to properly rereleasing it... discouraging them results in less good music on the market.

This thread is not the place to get pissy about compiler's choices, completely irrelevant to the discussion.

Almost never in Crate Digging Revealed, which is the
    only forum Danno can moderate - which is what I thought
    was being argued at this point. I'm willing to bet that
    if someone uploaded the entire Twinight comp on Numero
    in this forum, he or any other mod would delete it.
    Almost any time a hip hop album leak is posted, it's a
    link to a blog with the download and not something uploaded
    by the poster or directly linked to this site.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    "Manage your expectations" (JP)

When there are loopholes, people are going to abuse them.

"That's the way it is."

Doesn't mean it should be tolerated.

The universe is in equilibrium again.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Almost never in Crate Digging Revealed, which is the
    only forum Danno can moderate - which is what I thought
    was being argued at this point. I'm willing to bet that
    if someone uploaded the entire Twinight comp on Numero
    in this forum, he or any other mod would delete it.
    Almost any time a hip hop album leak is posted, it's a
    link to a blog with the download and not something uploaded
    by the poster or directly linked to this site.
    how is it any different if someone links to a blog or uploads something themselves? the end result is the same and a moderator can deal with both in the same manner.

Let's also get something straight here - over the course
    of 7 pages Danno has somehow become perceived as "bitching"
    and "uppity" and whatever else - yet if you go back and read
    the first post in this thread, he is wondering himself if it
    is worth it to try to stop people sharing the CD, asking both
    could he hope to stop it and really, should he, admitting it may
    ultimately spur people to buy the CD that wouldn't have otherwise.

Everyone seems to be buddies with yo-i-got-beats and not willing to
    say it, but I think it was pretty bush league to shit all over the
    effort put into making this comp as if it were nothing, as if no
    work, money, or devotion were involved. Personally I think people
    willing to spend their time trying to legally share rare & obscure
    music with the world AND get the artists paid money they would never
    get otherwise deserve RESPECT and not DERISION.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Let's also get something straight here - over the course
    of 7 pages Danno has somehow become perceived as "bitching"
    and "uppity" and whatever else - yet if you go back and read
    the first post in this thread, he is wondering himself if it
    is worth it to try to stop people sharing the CD, asking both
    could he hope to stop it and really, should he, admitting it may
    ultimately spur people to buy the CD that wouldn't have otherwise.

say it, but I think it was pretty bush league to shit all over the
    effort put into making this comp as if it were nothing, as if no
    work, money, or devotion were involved. Personally I think people
    willing to spend their time trying to legally share rare & obscure
    music with the world AND get the artists paid money they would never
    get otherwise deserve RESPECT and not DERISION.

The man speaks the truth.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    say it
    haha, as if there ain't no ryde or die shit going on for danno? i dont even know either of them but im fully capable of making posts without being influenced by others.

Personally I think people willing to spend their time trying to legally share rare & obscure music with the world AND get the artists paid money they would never get otherwise deserve RESPECT and not DERISION.
    i agree completely.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Wow... I didn't think it would get to this, but I guess as history's proven, an 18 pager can get crazy!

So I really think you guys are out of line attacking Danno with this far fetched argument. Really? Not moderating a fucking Bjork post? GTFOHWTB! Go back to his initial post... he's asking for advice on how to handle the situation, hardly complaining as he understands the situation may have some grey area for some.

Dude put a lot of work into putting out a comp... people are sharing it online... should Danno ask them to take it down? He has every right to... it's his work. Should he then be expected moderate every uploaded material on this forum. Umm, no... that's really not his responsibility.

You guys are throwing all this extra shit around as if it's really that relevant. You don't have to be a perfect angel on a subject to have an opinion or belief in it.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    i'm still not sure why so many people attach such a negative stigma to a very malleable medium.
    because for every blog with worthwhile content there are at least a thousand others that are complete garbage?

The same could be said about records.

The same could be said about _______ x 5000. Your point being...

Blogs lack the history, credibility, regulation, and restraint traditional media has. Now are traditional formats infallable? Of course not, but I certainly do trust them more.

Its inherent accessibility is at the same time its greatest strength yet weakest link. IMO, the media hype is disproportionate to its usefulness. That is why a lot of folks feel it's overrated.

Obviously you have a vested interest in defending this medium as it is your claim to fame. Nothing wrong with that, it's your interest. I'll leave the blogs to you and faux, I'll read my new yorker. NO, the two are not mutually exclusive, just my preference.

This is taking away from the original intent of the post, for that I apologize.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Obviously you have a vested interest in defending this medium as it is your claim to fame.

lol.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    Post deleted by yoigotbeats

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Obviously you have a vested interest in defending this medium as it is your claim to fame.

lol.

funny because it's true.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    :18 pager: