People sharing your album: how to react?

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    ut it's interesting he doesn't have shit to say when it comes to Bjork (which is still up on a site he's supposed to regulate). why is that?

"Get familiar!" It's a recurring theme on this board. Not answering people's questions.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    What makes certain content accessible and others untouchable? It's an extremely slippery slope. As with most things in life, "people only see what they're prepared to see" (ralph waldo emerson). We'll draw up reasoning to fit our particular position in life. Some more deluded than others......

I have thousands of records, on top of that thousands of cd's. Does that mean anything? Can I use that as a badge of honour to defend my actions? I have no qualms owning up to illegal dl'ing, some with the latest pre-releases too. It is an ethical dilemma, a personal decision that I dare not cast any stones upon. It's equivalent to so called "victimless crimes" like littering. We all know there are victims beneath the surface, people choose to ignore due to a matter of convenience. We are all guilty of it.

I've bought cd's post mp3 dl, conversely, it has also turned me off on some. Personally speaking, it enables me to enjoy music to a greater extent than before. Not an across the board thumbs up though, as I miss the anticipation of a snippet tape/release date. Overall the +'s outweight the -'s.

I haven't bought Danno's cd yet, but I've also bought him lunch. So maybe I'm off the hook? hah!

dor - I really think we might see the end of play de as we know it in 5 yrs time.

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    "Get familiar!" It's a recurring theme on this board. Not answering people's questions.

it was rhetorical! And Kobe betta make it rain if he doesn't want to face the Suns in the first round

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Maybe the day will come where the computer provides all the free medical, legal and educational needs of the society via a program that can be copied for free and Lawyers, Doctors and Teachers will no longer be able to make $$$ in the current, soon to be outdated, business model we've been living within.

I look forward to that day.

Free EVERYDAMNTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After all, we're entitled to it as humans.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Danno's argument is legit. It's fucked up.

of course it's fucked up, but it's interesting he doesn't have shit to say when it comes to Bjork (which is still up on a site he's supposed to regulate). why is that? I mean you're not even creating anything - you just had the dough to roll to Cuba and buy some records. How does that give you the right to get all uppity?

And license all the music...which means reconnecting with the artists and whatever contracts they previously had, remastering the music, compiling liner notes, and sorting through tons of records to bring people the best of the best. When you buy a compilation, you are essentially paying for someone's knowlege that they have spent years accumulating, as well as their hard work in packaging it in an accessible and organized way for you.

Blogging makes similar information/content available for free, but it is almost never of comparable quality and depth.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Blogging makes similar information/content available for free, but it is almost never of comparable quality and depth.

blogging = the voice of a generation that doesn't deserve one.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

srs. i cannot believe the amount of self-importance and entitlement the internet has given kids these days

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

That would look great on a T-Shirt!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

make one for yourself, then I'll make a thread about you stealing my "intellectual property".

360 degrees for blue cheese.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

I mean you're not even creating anything - you just had the dough to roll to Cuba and buy some records. How does that give you the right to get all uppity?

Damn, this is some straight up ignorant shit right here.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

make one for yourself, then I'll make a thread about you stealing my "intellectual property".

t-shirts with cute phrases = the voice of a generation that doesn't deserve one

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    take that shit to neighborhoodie dot com

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

I mean you're not even creating anything - you just had the dough to roll to Cuba and buy some records. How does that give you the right to get all uppity?

Wrong homie, G***ges has been in the biz for a long time. He speaks the truth.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

i'm still not sure why so many people attach such a negative stigma to a very malleable medium.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Hahaha!

Seriously, that quote about the onanosphere is great.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

i'm still not sure why so many people attach such a negative stigma to a very malleable medium.
    because for every blog with worthwhile content there are at least a thousand others that are complete garbage?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    because for every blog with worthwhile content there are at least a thousand others that are complete garbage?

The same could be said about records.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

The same could be said about records.
    and people :-O

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Me neither. Yes, there are a lot of really bad blogs out there. I suggest you not make it a practice to read them. But there are a lot of areas of specialized interest--and not so specialized interest, like rap music--where much of the best writing is taking place on blogs.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Me neither. Yes, there are a lot of really bad blogs out there. I suggest you not make it a practice to read them. But there are a lot of areas of specialized interest--and not so specialized interest, like rap music--where much of the best writing is taking place on blogs.

Not to mention--why are dudes griping about this on a message board?

If you really want to take it there, I better receive all future complaints written with a quill and ink and delivered by carrier pigeon.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Not to mention--why are dudes griping about this on a message board?

If you really want to take it there, I better receive all future complaints written with a quill and ink and delivered by carrier pigeon.

This message has been brought to you by the Think Before You Post Blog Society of All Points North Of Texas (TBYPBSAPNOT)

what's so fucking profound in creating a comp??? Am I missing some heady nuance of acting like an authority on music you could never create? I'm not saying it's not time consuming or even an impassioned statement for your love of what's been created, but please expound rather than proffer a one sentence diss. to me, it always feels like revisionist history.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

what's so fucking profound in creating a comp???

license all the music...which means reconnecting with the artists and whatever contracts they previously had, remastering the music, compiling liner notes, and sorting through tons of records to bring people the best of the best. When you buy a compilation, you are essentially paying for someone's knowlege that they have spent years accumulating, as well as their hard work in packaging it in an accessible and organized way for you

license all the music...which means reconnecting with the artists and whatever contracts they previously had, remastering the music, compiling liner notes, and sorting through tons of records to bring people the best of the best. When you buy a compilation, you are essentially paying for someone's knowlege that they have spent years accumulating, as well as their hard work in packaging it in an accessible and organized way for you

Again - it's one's take on the "best of the best" I love how people act like because they feel compelled to condense a time frame to a handful of songs that action by proxy makes it a profound statement. And what's Danno bitching about??? That people are stealing "HIS MUSIC." Fuck that sense of entitlement bullshit.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

it was rhetorical! And Kobe betta make it rain if he doesn't want to face the Suns in the first round

Word.....All the smart people in LA DO NOT want to see the Suns in the 1st round.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Danno's argument is legit. It's fucked up.

of course it's fucked up, but it's interesting he doesn't have shit to say when it comes to Bjork (which is still up on a site he's supposed to regulate).

You keep bringing this up and in all fairness I don't think (as a mod in this forum) Danno really has any say about what is posted (in that forum).

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Again - it's one's take on the "best of the best" I love how people act like because they feel compelled to condense a time frame to a handful of songs that action by proxy makes it a profound statement. And what's Danno bitching about??? That people are stealing "HIS MUSIC." Fuck that sense of entitlement bullshit.

G**rges (whats up!) - for what it's worth, I think he's concerned about people stealing "his product", which he has invested money and time (which = money) into making. Licensing, production, etc cost money... not "his music". that's all.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    Danno really has any say about what is posted in that forum.
    that was in this very forum. not real headz http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=crates&Number=849021&page=0&fpart=1

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Danno really has any say about what is posted in that forum.
    that was in this very forum. not real headz

OK, my mistake... but I still don't really see a valid connection.