House music from '97 to '07: what's good?

13»

Comments

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Theo played most recently at Sonotheque

yes, this was the shit
    Unfortuantely I missed this show. Ugh.

Anyone else heard about their tour at all??(Three Chairs) I can't find it anywhere. Maybe they are done, but I could use that show again in my life.

Here's a few good shows I am looking forward to at Smartbar:

Friday, May 18
    TITTSWORTH
    AYRES
    ZEBO
    Tickets: $10 (free before 11pm)
    21 & over
    Doors: 10pm / Show: 10pm

Friday, July 20
    First Ever Chicago Appearance...
    CLAUDE VONSTROKE
    FRANKIE VEGA
    Tickets: $10 (free before 11pm)
    21 & over
    Doors: 10pm / Show: 10pm

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    most of the big names in the NY garage scene have been mad stagnant for the last 10 years. Blaze, MAW, Frankie Feliciano, Kerri Chandler, etc, have all put out the same songs over and over again. Throw some boom claps, a rhodes, jazz guitar, flute, mix and bam another song.

The most interesting stuff has been produced by folks veering away from that formula. People like Matthew Herbert, Moodyman, Daft Punk, etc.....

here are some personal favs of mine in the last 10 yrs.

ian pooley - coracao tambor (needs rmx)
    matthew herbert - bodily functions/scales
    swell session - music in her eyes
    4 hero - starchasers (maw rmx)
    moloko - sing it back (herbert dub)
    iz & diz - mouth (brad peep's rmx for friends)
    pepe bradock - burnin
    recloose - dust
    abstract truth - we had a thing
    victor davies - brother (bougie soliterre rmx)
    tom & joyce - vai minha trizteza (Mr. Bob s mix)

ps: Cassius, for all you mowax fan boys, used to be known as La Funk Mob.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    most of the big names in the NY garage scene have been mad stagnant for the last 10 years. Blaze, MAW, Frankie Feliciano, Kerri Chandler, etc, have all put out the same songs over and over again. Throw some boom claps, a rhodes, jazz guitar, flute, mix and bam another song.

The most interesting stuff has been produced by folks veering away from that formula. People like Matthew Herbert, Moodyman, Daft Punk, etc.....

here are some personal favs of mine in the last 10 yrs.

swell session - music in her eyes
    iz & diz - mouth (brad peep's rmx for friends)
    pepe bradock - burnin
    recloose - dust

ps: Cassius, for all you mowax fan boys, used to be known as La Funk Mob.

What's still funny to me is that most of these tunes are from the 90s. So while we may be talking about the last 10 years, no one can really think of anything from the 2000s!

BTW Herbert's stuff was way better before he tried to get jazzy with it. If you haven't already, try to peep his older stuff that used to be more techno-ish, and less jazz-techno fusion-ish!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    What's still funny to me is that most of these tunes are from the 90s. So while we may be talking about the last 10 years, no one can really think of anything from the 2000s!
    you keep saying this, but i've mentioned a bunch of shit from the 2000s...much of my list was released post-2000

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

swell session - music in her eyes[/b]
    iz & diz - mouth (brad peep's rmx for friends)[/b]
    pepe bradock - burnin
    recloose - dust[/b]

BTW Herbert's stuff was way better before he tried to get jazzy with it. If you haven't already, try to peep his older stuff that used to be more techno-ish, and less jazz-techno fusion-ish!

artist in bold are from 2000's

also herbert is the man, I like both sides of his output (early/later phase).

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    scale is barely house any more! its like chamber pop

i like it, tho

around the house is a great herbert album, prob more along the lines of what he's talking about. in that vein there's a bunch of minimal stuff, like farben's textar

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    it's not house at all, but inspiried by his techno/house output. Point of the post is to show how stagnant "garage" house is nowadays. Nobody in that scene takes risks.

Scales is just a solid album, one of my favs from 2006.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    you keep saying this, but i've mentioned a bunch of shit from the 2000s...much of my list was released post-2000

Damn, I didn't notice you existed until just now.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    zing?

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

pepe bradock - burnin
    recloose - dust[/b]

I think you mean "titles" in bold are from 2000s. All those dudes definately made music in the 90s.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    zing?

Even I'm kept wondering if that was a zing or not.

It made me giggle while I typed it, but it was sort of true.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

pepe bradock - burnin
    recloose - dust[/b]

I think you mean "titles" in bold are from 2000s. All those dudes definately made music in the 90s.

now you're just arguing on semantics.

those records all came out post 2000, check discogs. Now if you were to rephrase your question as "new artists in our current decade".....

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Anyone heard Score yet from Herbert. I highly suggest it. Very beautiful.

and that abstract truth is taking me baaaaaaack! haha! I should drop that one again and see what happens.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

pepe bradock - burnin
    recloose - dust[/b]

those records all came out post 2000, check discogs. Now if you were to rephrase your question as "new artists in our current decade".....

I just like to argue.

Continue...

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

I just like to argue.

Continue...

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    These are definitely good...

Swag
    Ananda Project
    P'Taah (more on the broken beat / jazz tip)

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Lots of good leads--thanks! Now I've got some listening to do.

The thing about house stuff from this period is that every record looks equal parts dope and wack, and there's just so much more of it to sort through. From a digger's perspective, it's way easier to stick to the 80s through early 90s, because you almost can't go wrong with a few trusted labels, artists, an intriguing song title, etc. Once you delve into the later stuff, I feel like all bets are off. I can sort of guess what style of house a record might be by looking at it, but there's no way I can no it's gonna be dope without listening to it.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

The thing about house stuff from this period is that every record looks equal parts dope and wack, and there's just so much more of it to sort through. From a digger's perspective, it's way easier to stick to the 80s through early 90s, because you almost can't go wrong with a few trusted labels, artists, an intriguing song title, etc. Once you delve into the later stuff, I feel like all bets are off. I can sort of guess what style of house a record might be by looking at it, but there's no way I can no it's gonna be dope without listening to it.

this has definitely been my experience as well, with a few exceptions (i.e. kompakt circa '02-03 is pretty pure)

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

this has definitely been my experience as well, with a few exceptions (i.e. kompakt circa '02-03 is pretty pure)

That's because it was House Music's heyday.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    I've got tons of great post heyday House music, which is the hardest stuff to find.

I used to work at a distributor, selling this shit to shops all across the country, and also workled at a sotre and at a label, and DJ'd House Music from the early 90s up until recently. Since I listened to so much of it all day long, I only copped the really choice cuts.

If anyone (dealers or rich kids?) wants to but it ALL from me, hit me on the PMs. I've got tons of great stuff from the NYC sounds, to Detroit stuff, to Chicago stuff, all the way to the more minimal sounds across the pond from labels like Ladomat, Kompakt, etc. I would only sell this shit as an entire collection, no cherry picking!

• FunkoffFunkoff 65 Posts
    huge cosign on Moodymann, his whitelabel remix of Kem's "With Or Without You" from 2006 is fantastic
    for quality deep check also Osunlade (esp Osunlade pres Offering mix) and Yoruba Records releases

my personal favs:

Herb Martin "Soul Drums" (Ibadan 2004) - 9 minute percussional workout over loop taken from Amp Fiddler record
    Trackheads "Our Music" beautiful deep
    Wahoo "Make Them Shake It" hip-house at its best
    Three Kings - "Shake Dat Booty"- more hip-house
    Mr V "Lets Get Jazzy" // "Jus Dance" more hip-house
    Jesse Rose & Sinden "Me Mobile" click-house with Vybz Kartel accapella thrown on top
    Switch "A Bit Patchy" broken-house remix of Apache

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

That's because it was House Music's heyday.
    you forgot to dismiss all other house as not being real house music

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Lindstrom & Prins Thomas
    Black Science Orchestra
    Lawnchair Generals

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Roy Ayers - Our Time Is Coming (Jazzanova - The Guestlist Remix)

CHUNEEEEEEEE