House music from '97 to '07: what's good?

Comments

• to name a few of my favorite soulful house artists:
    julius papp
    vikter duplaix
    lil louis vega
    anything on naked music (i.e. lisa shaw)
    quentin harris
    larry heard
    kenny dope
    of course mark farina (though i like his mixes better than tracks he actually produces)

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Regular ass Club music
    =

house

its got the beat, thats all it needs
    i guess he's also classified as 'garage'

I disagree. You mean to tell me the club music that guidos play in their jeep is that same as Body & Soul stuff.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Regular ass Club music
    =

house

I disagree. You mean to tell me the club music that guidos play in their jeep is that same as Body & Soul stuff.
    no. but i don't think todd edwards is the club music that guidos play in their jeeps.
    i mean yeah you got megatrance clubs or whatever but house is still a big enough tent to represent the 'standard' for dance clubs pretty much across the world. it covers everything from roy davis jr. 'gabriel' to deep dish remixing stevie nicks to german minimal but its still 'house,' its still the same beat and its still the common denominator for clubland.

my impression (possibly warped by living in chicago but i get the impression that its this way in much of the rest of the world too) is that the default non-rap club-dance genre is house music to this day

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    Most of the producers mentioned here, put out their best records pre-97.

• absoul85absoul85 64 Posts
    the Respect is Burning mixes are nice... Besides the obvious A Night at the Playboy Mansion, especially Vol. 1 and the one DJ Deep did are worth checking out. Although I'm not really op un their new stuff, Cassius' debut album 1999 is a personal fav of mine... the Foxy Brown flip on it is

Etienne de Crecy's Tempovision is a must too.

French house was/is the shit

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    Armand Van Heldon was huge right around 1997-'98 with his "Professional Widow" Tori Armos remix that tore up the clubs, or in my case rave parties in Chicago as I was "too young to party" legally. I know he had a few more big remixes and helped spawn the bastard "speed garage" subgenre.

Actually it was Todd Edwards from New Jersey that really helped spawn Speed Garage with a few tracks he did at the right time. Armand did that shit after the Speed Garage scene was already growing. I guess he did it early enough for people to think he may have helped spawn it though. He did help give it some attention. Who cares though, Speed Garage is the worst crap ever.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    Another dude who deserves mention = Todd Edwards
    His Full On comp is so neccessary

My copy has cue burn. This got played alongside many an Ashley Beedle/Black Sciene Orchestra record.

This is definitely before 1997.

Todd did some great choppy sample arrangements especially with his remixes, and never got much recognition did he?

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    Moodymann! So many of his tracks, but there are some that stick out like: JAN, Shades Of Jae, Tribute To The Soul We Lost, Forevernevermore, Black Mahogani, In Loving Memory and The Thief That Stole My Sad Days. Some of these 12"es can be a little hard to find though, but the albums on Peacefrog shouldn't be that hard to find.

Also Theo Parrish stuff like Summertime Is Here and Falling Up and Andr??s' self titled debut album.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

This is definitely before 1997.
    yeah yr right on that, my bad.
    he kept up that sound tho - shit he's done since then is very 1 trick, but what a trick it is.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Todd Edwards probably got the most recognition for the vocals he did on Daft Punk's Discovery. "Face to Face" is teh jam.

Todd did some great choppy sample arrangements especially with his remixes, and never got much recognition did he?

Not really, but then again, his tracks do seem to get a little samey after a while, a lot of them follow the exact same formula.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    However, Armand Van Helden and Daft Punk, do not[/b] fall under house music.
    ok KRS

haha! Ok, ok. Under my definition.

I would be interested in hearing your definition.

:5pager:!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Todd Edwards probably got the most recognition for the vocals he did on Daft Punk's Discovery. "Face to Face" is teh jam.
    vox are romanthony (another dude who could prob be mentioned here!) but Todd had co-production credit - you can hear his sound in there for sure

whats that one-off photek house song w/ robert owens called?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Regular ass Club music
    =

house

Yeah, thats house music. I think some of you are getting confused with the difference between the term "Dance Music" and "House Music". They are not the same thing.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    Moodymann! So many of his tracks, but there are some that stick out like: JAN, Shades Of Jae, Tribute To The Soul We Lost, Forevernevermore, Black Mahogani, In Loving Memory and The Thief That Stole My Sad Days. Some of these 12"es can be a little hard to find though, but the albums on Peacefrog shouldn't be that hard to find.

Also Theo Parrish stuff like Summertime Is Here and Falling Up and Andr??s' self titled debut album.

Many of those best Moodyman tracks are pre-97 too. The latest tracks of his that did anything for me was pre-2000 for sure. Then he did some shitty jazzy almost NY sounding house. I like his earlier records that had more of a raw edge.

Some of that Andre stuff was cool too. BTW isn't Andre a hip-hop producer? Like the kid from PUTS or something like that?

vox are romanthony (another dude who could prob be mentioned here!) but Todd had co-production credit - you can hear his sound in there for sure

The vocals are by Todd Edwards actually, Romanthony did the vocals on One More Time and Too Long. By the way, Romanthony's album R.Hide In Plain Site is pretty good.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

The vocals are by Todd Edwards actually, Romanthony did the vocals on One More Time and Too Long. By the way, Romanthony's album R.Hide In Plain Site is pretty good.
    for real?

anyone else kind of shocked that "Face to Face" was sung by the bro pictured here?

Many of those best Moodyman tracks are pre-97 too. The latest tracks of his that did anything for me was pre-2000 for sure. Then he did some shitty jazzy almost NY sounding house. I like his earlier records that had more of a raw edge.

Some of that Andre stuff was cool too. BTW isn't Andre a hip-hop producer? Like the kid from PUTS or something like that?

Andr??s is DJ Dez, Slum Village tour dj and sometimes hiphop producer. Agree with you on the Moodymann comment, but he still has some really good post-97 stuff imo.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Honestly in my opinion I think "house" music has become sort of a trendy type of music lately. I have lost interest lately because so many tracks sound the same. I have not been too impressed to say the least. Especially when I get request from some funny looking coked out people. That shit drives me nuts, but thats just how it is everywhere, I presume. Maybe it is just my location, but I have also played in Chicago and I still feel the same way.And I agree there is a big difference between house music and dance music for sure.

To me, a good dj is a versatile dj. I get bored quickly with almost all the "house dj's" I hear.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Has anyone had the priviledge to go to a Three Chairs Show? Now thats house music imho.

Has anyone had the priviledge to go to a Three Chairs Show? Now thats house music imho.

I wish! I have seen Moodymann dj at 2 small parties and even got to chat a little with him, very nice guy and a great dj! Also saw him do a Mahogani Records showcase last year, but that was kinda weird, still had fun though.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts

They are House music for sure.

When there is a 3 Chairs show, is it just them DJ'ing or do they somehow perform the tracks live?

BTW I've seen Theo DJ before and he rocked the shit.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    SInce many people are just mentioning good 90s house even if it is pre-97 then I'll add on.

No one here mentioned Round 1, Round Two, Round Three and Round 4 did they?

Some of the best post-80s House Records ever made!!!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i saw theo parrish this past fall, shit was pretty great

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    It's a shame that we don't see any Mood II Swing output anymore. I believe John Ciafone moved out to LA to be a sound Engineer in the film industry.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts

When there is a 3 Chairs show, is it just them DJ'ing or do they somehow perform the tracks live?

They are just dj'ing, yes. Moodyman and Theo never drop their own ish. Props for that. Moodyman mostly plays some raer disco cuts and house. Don't expect him to blend it too well. It's all about the selection, for sure. Rick Wilhite was really nice and came up to talk to me. Very genuine.

Theo is the shit. When I saw him at Smartbar in Chicago it was dope. Very inspirational. Dude was wearing a black pilgrim t-shirt.

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    OK back to House music made in the 2000s.

It's nice to see Abe Duque getting recognition, especially as he has been doing this shit for well over a decade!

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Most artists mentionned above are "dance" or "leftfield" producers that release albums.

Logical progression = house dj gets bored with the tracky shit and gets all versatile & eclectic... yet I still like that straight jacking shit.

Here are some G-Swing joints from a couple o' years ago that still rock the disco-theque. No time for beardstroking.

http://download.yousendit.com/3194A71F6CD9F5C4
    http://download.yousendit.com/515270384CC1D372
    http://download.yousendit.com/2E6547BD06CA7B70
    http://download.yousendit.com/07B4E03A10CA0933

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

They are just dj'ing, yes. Moodyman and Theo never drop their own ish. Props for that. Moodyman mostly plays some raer disco cuts and house. Don't expect him to blend it too well. It's all about the selection, for sure. Rick Wilhite was really nice and came up to talk to me. Very genuine.

Theo is the shit. When I saw him at Smartbar in Chicago it was dope. Very inspirational. Dude was wearing a black pilgrim t-shirt.

I don't really go out all that much, but I fucking comb the calander for any Three Chairs events at Smart Bar. I want to say Moodyman or maybe Theo played most recently at Sonotheque which I missed, but not again!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Theo played most recently at Sonotheque

yes, this was the shit