edited April 2007 in Strut Central
send my dood some strutter love.

Comments

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Noooooooo what happened?

Hope you get well soon Drew!

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    get well

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Drew,

Best wishes, holmes!!! I hope you get better soon. We still gotta hook up down in the Chi!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    damn, get well soon drewn!

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    I must be Hercules... I'll carry some of your load right along with mine.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    For reallies?

Damn, that sucks! At least them special pASSwords will come in handy while you're laid up in bed!

I wish you a quick recovery, hoLmes!

Herm

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    get better Drew!

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts

pugs, a true menace
    sorry to see you're the latest victim
    get well soon drew

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    ouch. get well soon dude.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Hope its a quick recovery Drew.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    damn homie! Heal up.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Thanks for the best wishes, my peoples.

Here's the story:

I was bench-pressing at the gym on Wednesday night at my 5 rep max, without a spotter. I brought the weight down to my chest on the last rep of my 5 X 5 set, but couldn't get the bar back up. I was able to swing the right side of the bar onto one of the emergency hooks, but my left arm gave out under the weight. Then I have a vivid memory of the barbell coming down on my grill and arm while calling out for some assistance. Someone ran over to help rack the bar, then I looked over at my left arm in one of those "yeah, that does not look right" moments.

Gym (im)personnel came to check me out and help me get my stuff, but the solo cab ride with no cash and the driver's busted credit card machine (WTF, the jovial security guard couldn't let me hold a few bucks?!) to the ER was just the beginning of my 7:30 p.m. to 5 a.m. wait and diagnosis of a fractured humorous. (Strut Related: Where was that 30 minute ER guarantee ad when I needed it?) They gave me two Percocets, and I guess they worked, because I was able to walk the ~10 blocks home.

Anyway, I'm in an elbow-to-shoulder cast until Monday, when if everything is going as planned, I'll be switched to something less restrictive. The good news is that I shouldn't need surgery and will probably be back to form in about 6 weeks.

I should have been smarter, but my injury could have been worse.

Be careful out there in the world, fam!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Be careful out there in the world gym fam!

BIG PAWS ON A PUPPY[/b]

Seriously though, glad to hear you're doing alright.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Damn. Sorry to hear about your accident, man! Hope all goes right and you are back in fighting form ASAP!

Take care, relax, drink a forty and, well....you know the rest!

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Damn, the ER sucks. Good news is, once you are out of there the worst part is over. Get well soon.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Speedy recovery big dog. That's an intense story.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Damn, sorry to hear about that.

Glad the prognosis is for a (relatively) quick recovery, though.

• Deejay_OMDeejay_OM 695 Posts
    DREW! damn son...sorry to hear about that....serioulsy hope you get well soon...and always bring a spotter from now on...(I'm frankly a bit shocked that 27lbs did all this damage

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    After that, I will definitely stick with my little 4lb hand weights.

Here's to no surgery required - get and feel better soon A!!

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    DOG!!!! chill with the iron man competitions!!
    yo, speedy recovery homie. you gotta start listing me as an emergency contact...i'll scoop you off the gym floor in the hooptie van and get you to the hospital next time. holler if you need anything.

MEDICATE WITH MUSIC!!!!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Quick recovery man

people music III may be advanced in your downtime

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    Damn Drew!
    Stick to pushups! If it gets too heavy all you have to do is roll over!
    Hope it heals to 110% dude.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Hope you rehab well!!! Feel better Drewn.

• Damn dude, glad you're gonna be alright Drewn. Free weights are gnarls##@@ Here's to a speedy recovery.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

damn, get better soon hommie!

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Damn Drew!
    Stick to pushups!

I'm relieved that the x-ray above is not from your actual arm (unless you have what looks like a bullet embedded in your bicep from another altercation in the gymnasium).

Get well, and stay strong (but not broken(Lance)Arm-strong).

Health,
    JRoot

• Thanks for the best wishes, my peoples.

Here's the story:

I was bench-pressing at the gym on Wednesday night at my 5 rep max, without a spotter. I brought the weight down to my chest on the last rep of my 5 X 5 set, but couldn't get the bar back up. I was able to swing the right side of the bar onto one of the emergency hooks, but my left arm gave out under the weight. Then I have a vivid memory of the barbell coming down on my grill and arm while calling out for some assistance. Someone ran over to help rack the bar, then I looked over at my left arm in one of those "yeah, that does not look right" moments.

Gym (im)personnel came to check me out and help me get my stuff, but the solo cab ride with no cash and the driver's busted credit card machine (WTF, the jovial security guard couldn't let me hold a few bucks?!) to the ER was just the beginning of my 7:30 p.m. to 5 a.m. wait and diagnosis of a fractured humorous. (Strut Related: Where was that 30 minute ER guarantee ad when I needed it?) They gave me two Percocets, and I guess they worked, because I was able to walk the ~10 blocks home.

Anyway, I'm in an elbow-to-shoulder cast until Monday, when if everything is going as planned, I'll be switched to something less restrictive. The good news is that I shouldn't need surgery and will probably be back to form in about 6 weeks.

I should have been smarter, but my injury could have been worse.

Be careful out there in the world, fam!

damn, that sounds nasty .. sorry to hear it ... i always go to the gym alone and never have a spotter so i usually do presses like that one arm at a time w/ dumbbells. actually doing it that way is great for your core strength as well and helps with the asymmetrical left/right strength ... i know it's a little late and i'm not trying to school you or anything but i'm familiar with that panic feeling and it sucks, bad. hey but at least you were making progress! them 5x5's will get you swoll

• For reallies?

Damn, that sucks! At least them special pASSwords will come in handy while you're laid up in bed!

Naw, he broke his "good" arm.

seriously, Get well Drew-Ski! One of the best Strutters.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    daaaaaaag son... yeah, you gots to be careful benching with no spotter (really you should never do it, but I've been guilty of it myself so I can't talk). I've been caught like that too... luckily for me I got caught in the "down" position with the bar on my chest and was able to squirm my way out from under. Luckily your situation didn't end up as bad as it could've been... still sounds painful, though.
    Get well soon and get back to the gym soon too, my dude... don't let this little mishap stop the Gun Show from poppin' off in the future. Click-click-BANG!