GET WELL SOON DREWNICE!

2»

Comments

• Wait, I thought sweetness--and not pectorals--was your weakness?

Glad to hear you're okay, homie. Scary shit! Like my fellow Texan FadedGlory, I only bench with dumb bells 'cause I'm afraid of that same scenario. Take it easy and heal up fast!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Damn, that's what AP looks like?

I always heard he looked like John Malkovich

Drew, glad to hear it's not as bad as it could have been,
    and I know all about those 10 hour ER sessions, no fun at all.

I say switch to Nautilus, man - like Daytona 500!

• MEDICATE WITH MUSIC!!!!

and let me get up with your painkillers....

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts

Hope you rehab well!!! Feel better Drewn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ME0QRHtCTk

"Call the police!"

Damn..when I was a kid, I saw not too far away a girl who snapped both her upper and lower arm in two places from playing an odd version of dodgeball and tripping near the corner of a red brick garden wall. Ever since, I've had sympathy for that kind of stuff. Must be really painful

• Options
    Thanks for the best wishes, my peoples.

Here's the story:

I was bench-pressing at the gym on Wednesday night at my 5 rep max, without a spotter. I brought the weight down to my chest on the last rep of my 5 X 5 set, but couldn't get the bar back up. I was able to swing the right side of the bar onto one of the emergency hooks, but my left arm gave out under the weight. Then I have a vivid memory of the barbell coming down on my grill and arm while calling out for some assistance. Someone ran over to help rack the bar, then I looked over at my left arm in one of those "yeah, that does not look right" moments.

Gym (im)personnel came to check me out and help me get my stuff, but the solo cab ride with no cash and the driver's busted credit card machine (WTF, the jovial security guard couldn't let me hold a few bucks?!) to the ER was just the beginning of my 7:30 p.m. to 5 a.m. wait and diagnosis of a fractured humorous. (Strut Related: Where was that 30 minute ER guarantee ad when I needed it?) They gave me two Percocets, and I guess they worked, because I was able to walk the ~10 blocks home.

Anyway, I'm in an elbow-to-shoulder cast until Monday, when if everything is going as planned, I'll be switched to something less restrictive. The good news is that I shouldn't need surgery and will probably be back to form in about 6 weeks.

I should have been smarter, but my injury could have been worse.

Be careful out there in the world, fam!

Get well soon, hope you feel better.

Did you have collars on the bar? Never use them things when you're benching, this way if you ever get stuck all you gotta do is drop one side and the weights slide off, then the other side collapses from the leftover weight.

A similar injury happened to a friend of mine, he was benching with too much weight, strained on his last rep and tore a pectoral muscle.

• Damn, dude. Hope things get better; you definitely have me rethinking my gym safety...oof.
    Here's to a speedy recovery.