Afrique soul makaoosa OG check

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Exactly.

The very fact that this thread about an OG check on this record is as long as it is, is testament to the fact that:

1. We all love these kinds of little dude moments, for one reason or another
    2. long explanations are obviously necessary for more tha a few people, and about a variety of things
    3. Even then, people prolong the process by asking why long answers are necessary, themseles adding to the lengthening of answers
    4. Asking why it's necessary to offer a lengthy explanation while at the same time validating stupid/irrelevant questions is... i dunno, but my temple begins to throb when I think about it for too long

And yes, this was also necessary.

Not taking drastic action when some little dude inquires as to the OGness of their sleeveless Afrique LP would open the door to all manner of foolishness:

"Is this Roberta Flack LP a reissue?"

"How can I identify original paper inner sleeves?"

"Was this Jimmy McGriff terd first issued on Capitol or Groove Merchant?"

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    Damn! nobodys got this?

:secretlyhopingsomeonewillmakeanoffer:

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Exactly.

The very fact that this thread about an OG check on this record is as long as it is, is testament to the fact that:

1. We all love these kinds of little dude moments, for one reason or another
    2. long explanations are obviously necessary for more tha a few people, and about a variety of things
    3. Even then, people prolong the process by asking why long answers are necessary, themseles adding to the lengthening of answers
    4. Asking why it's necessary to offer a lengthy explanation while at the same time validating stupid/irrelevant questions is... i dunno, but my temple begins to throb when I think about it for too long

And yes, this was also necessary.

Not taking drastic action when some little dude inquires as to the OGness of their sleeveless Afrique LP would open the door to all manner of foolishness:

"Is this Roberta Flack LP a reissue?"

"How can I identify original paper inner sleeves?"

I liked that opening "Not taking drastic action". Comedy.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    You had me at "How can I identify original paper inner sleeves?"

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i think
    soul makaoosa
    might be the dutch issue. good luck.

• i got some major hate goin towards that record

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    What a bunch of assholes!
    Just a bunch of sharks circling, waiting for that smell of blood.
    Ah there it is, someone with a semi-stupid post, attack attack!

What a bunch of assholes!
    Just a bunch of sharks circling, waiting for that smell of blood.
    Ah there it is, someone with a semi-stupid post, attack attack!

You're next.

and lol at

semi-stupid

even you couldn't resist.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    CPeetz is going to start a thread about a $15 electronic experimental record titled "SUPER RARE PRIVATE MOOG FREAKOUT! ANYONE KNOW THIS?" He will neglect to mention that the record is for sale on his auction.

Afrique Soul Makossa reissue is easy to spot, if you have the cover. The cover is fold-over and glossy on the reissue; paste on and matted on the original.

Without the cover, the records are ABSOLUTELY IDENTICAL.

Some things that might help you distinguish it's OG-ness:

- On reissues, they write "reissue" in the runout groove. If it doesn't say "reissue" there, it's probably original.

- You know about the smell test, but do you know about the taste test? Lick the vinyl, and discover the truth.

- On most reissues, they use really crappy mastering, sometimes off the vinyl itself. If the breaks ain't banging, it's probably the reissue.

Hopefully that helps man. These guys are clowns, and probably don't even have the record to know.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    morning jon!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    The MASTER of the og taste test. Known for once licking an entire box of Mike Vague's northern records to determine originality. What it do?

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    The MASTER of the og taste test. Known for once licking an entire box of Mike Vague's northern records to determine originality. What it do?

its old timers like me who can still taste a raer record. smellin for raer is so '06.

i just bought records off this old man who was here last night admitting his wife here at the hospital. he was cool enough to bring me a cup of joe and a crate of records. curtis, ojays, james LPs, etc. pretty good for a 430a dig while sitting on my ass at the job reading posts from the youngins'!

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Is this an OG press or the reissue? MRL-394-A-S and MRL-394-B-S in the run off. Thanks.

I was wondering how a thread with this title could go two pages...Now I know. I happen to have the original and reissue. You have the original. Have a nice day

• Is this an OG press or the reissue? MRL-394-A-S and MRL-394-B-S in the run off. Thanks.

I was wondering how a thread with this title could go two pages...Now I know. I happen to have the original and reissue. You have the original. Have a nice day

Finally! A Grown Up!

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    He will neglect to mention that the record is for sale on his auction.

Uh JP....
    ???? If a record is up for auction doesn't that inherently mean it's for sale?
    Damn I'm never gonna live that down huh?
    That record is still around and it's gonna make me some money. I new somebody
    into weird shit would really want it once they saw it, and I was right.
    I know some of those Waxidermists wanted it, but wouldn't dare bid on it after they beat me up
    about it on their boring messageboard.
    Saw Jake Wizzle the other day and he was talking you up, he neglected to tell
    me you were a big meany mc meanerson...
    Oh wait that's my ride gotta go!

I know some of those Waxidermists wanted it, but wouldn't dare bid on it

Now THAT is comedy!

I know some of those Waxidermists wanted it, but wouldn't dare bid on it

Now THAT is comedy!

His failure to give it to the waxidermists how he knew they wanted it is an act of cowardice.

• I will only come correct with question regarding the originality of private and test pressings of mega-super rarities in the future. As evidenced by the shit storm this post stirred up, questions about ???common??? >$25 dollar records are not tolerable to the record elite. They must feel the need to attack solely to build them selves up by tearing others down. Their shallowness runs deep.

I will only come correct with question regarding the originality of private and test pressings of mega-super rarities in the future. As evidenced by the shit storm this post stirred up, questions about ???common??? >$25 dollar records are not tolerable to the record elite. They must feel the need to attack solely to build them selves up by tearing others down. Their shallowness runs deep.

Please advise on the outcome of the taste test.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I will only come correct with question regarding the originality of private and test pressings of mega-super rarities in the future. As evidenced by the shit storm this post stirred up, questions about ???common??? >$25 dollar records are not tolerable to the record elite. They must feel the need to attack solely to build them selves up by tearing others down. Their shallowness runs deep.

I've got my money on bitter.

• I will only come correct with question regarding the originality of private and test pressings of mega-super rarities in the future. As evidenced by the shit storm this post stirred up, questions about ???common??? >$25 dollar records are not tolerable to the record elite. They must feel the need to attack solely to build them selves up by tearing others down. Their shallowness runs deep.

No need, I found out that a divining rod will point to OG records every time without fail.

The funny thing is, I wasn't attacking you or even trying
    to "son" you in the first place, I was just trying to let
    you know a reason WHY you weren't getting the response you
    expected in less than an hour. I didn't come at you all snotty.

In fact, when I got home later last night, I felt sorta bad when I saw
    the thread had blown up into a clownfest - - until I saw the part
    about you finding the record coverless jammed into another record ... I
    mean, come on, how can you not expect a clowning after that admission?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    questions about ???common??? >$25 dollar records are not tolerable to the record elite.
    No, it's questions about common >$15 dollar records like Afrique Soul Makossa that are not tolerable.

The funny thing is, I wasn't attacking you or even trying

Look, son, I've been sitting back peeping your M.O. like a Gene Hackman in The Conversation (word to Frank Coppola), and I have concluded that you are one of those dudes that doesn't even care about music, but is instead obsessed with the value of records.

Let's get one thing straight--my man's coverless copy of Afrique is indeed worthless. And it's an execrable record. Execrable meaning bad. We all know that. But it is still crucial that he determine exactly what kind of worthless it is.

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts
    i seen a sealed copy of this the other day..

• The funny thing is, I wasn't attacking you or even trying

There is more to the story about the collection that I found the record in. I didn't think it was necessary go into the details to answer my question. It was some cat???s collection that was 75% original titles and 25% reissues. Many of the records were stuffed into other records jackets and some original and reissues were just in plain white cardboard sleeves to make it more complicated. All the others I was able to tell, except the Afrique. That???s the genesis, the rest is history and I still don't now if it???s the reissue or not.

That???s the genesis, the rest is history and I still don't now if it???s the reissue or not.

So you haven't even read this thread? Because you got an answer.

I still don't see why you care, since it is coverless
    and therefore not even worth the $15.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    This is probably the best thing on soulstrut all year so far.