it's back (kendricks chair related)

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    OH SHIT WHERE'S COSMO!

• No Reserve this time.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    awesome! it was "buy it now" for a G for a while after the last auction then it just disappeared. Somebody on here needs to get this thing. I got $5 on it!

• what did it sell for the first time around?? peace, stein. . .

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    now that I have a job I am seriously tempted.

someone talk me out of it.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    dude - that's cosmo's.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    dude - that's cosmo's.

Yeah, for real.

And we all promise to exercise restraint the next time somebody lists a chad-chair, so it's all good.

please school me: is cos the seller here? is he re-selling it? or has he yet to buy it? and if so why was it off the block for a while? fill me in on the Kendricks chair saga; I can't find that old thread on it.

No, I think Cosmo just really wanted to have it. It never sold the first time around as an auction, then it was a "buy it now" for $1000, and now it's back as an auction. I didn't look close enough, do you still get a clean copy of the album with it??

please school me: is cos the seller here? is he re-selling it? or has he yet to buy it? and if so why was it off the block for a while? fill me in on the Kendricks chair saga; I can't find that old thread on it.

Is there some sort of stipend associated with schooling you? It's starting to involve a real investment of time.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I am seriously tempted.

Is there some sort of stipend associated with schooling you? It's starting to involve a real investment of time.

well clearly you know exactly what's up with the Kendricks chair.

PS I think you owe the entire board a stipend for putting up with your cranky ass.

consider making a paypal donation to raj.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

PS I think you owe the entire board a stipend for putting up with your cranky ass.

The back and forth between you two lately has been comedy.

I can see buying that chair being vetoed by many a wife.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts

I can see buying that chair being vetoed by many a wife.

not me! I think it would look lovely in the living room.

(In all seriousness, I think he thinks I'm someone else.)

But I'm happy to let the little confusion ride; shit is comedy to me.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

(In all seriousness, I think he thinks I'm someone else.)

But I'm happy to let the little confusion ride; shit is comedy to me.

OHHHHHhhhhhhhh, are you having that Faux Rillz?!

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    No, I think Cosmo just really wanted to have it.
    Oof.

In brief:

A few years ago, when soulstrut was starting to become more populous and more diffuse, Cosmo started storming the board and taking over threads with posts of a really personal, really emotional, and really galvanizing nature. A lot of folks were energized by that and took his lead, posting all kinds of crazy, heartfelt, and crazy heartfelt shit. For a long moment there was a palpable feeling of real community, a feeling that since has only been duplicated within the context of rallying behind a material cause (the equally wonderful and restorative Mingering Mike and Heat Rock Auction episodes). That first long moment was unique, though, because it was pretty much purely abstract--no records, no money, no prestige, no nothing--and wasn't really driven by anything more than getting caught up in the mania and the collective sense of what we all wanted soulstrut to be. That was then, though, and the very fact that it now sounds so lofty and so corny--"what we all wanted soulstrut to be"--says a lot.

Anyway, Cosmo's catalyst--his (and, subsequently, our) touchstone for the whole movement--was Eddie Kendricks's People...Hold On. So because of that, I think there's this sense, at least among those here who know what the fuck is up, that if anybody on this board gets that chair, it should be him.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I want James to write invent my bio.

Oof.

In brief:

A few years ago, when soulstrut was starting to become more populous and more diffuse, Cosmo started storming the board and taking over threads with posts of a really personal, really emotional, and really galvanizing nature. A lot of folks were energized by that and took his lead, posting all kinds of crazy, heartfelt, and crazy heartfelt shit. For a long moment there was a palpable feeling of real community, a feeling that since has only been duplicated within the context of rallying behind a material cause (the equally wonderful and restorative Mingering Mike and Heat Rock Auction episodes). That first long moment was unique, though, because it was pretty much purely abstract--no records, no money, no prestige, no nothing--and wasn't really driven by anything more than getting caught up in the mania and the collective sense of what we all wanted soulstrut to be. That was then, though, and the very fact that it now sounds so lofty and so corny--"what we all wanted soulstrut to be"--says a lot.

Anyway, Cosmo's catalyst--his (and, subsequently, our) touchstone for the whole movement--was Eddie Kendricks's People...Hold On. So because of that, I think there's this sense, at least among those here who know what the fuck is up, that if anybody on this board gets that chair, it should be him.

Oof.

In brief:

Well there you have it. I just knew he wasn't the one selling it, that's all I was getting at. Sorry, I am not fully in tune with all of the history of this forum, I just remember the last thread about this and his expresisons toward this piece. I should know better, every other thing about this place seems to have some secret back story that you had to be posting here in 2001 to know about, so, thanks for clearing it up. Either way, I still got $5 on it, for Cosmo, or for whoever. Soulstrut somehow just needs to buy that thing.

And I wanna know what happened to the spear.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Oof.

In brief:

Boom.

I miss those days.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    I miss those days.

Take those days and plant them. Grow something. When it sprouts, cut it down and put it in the chipper, use the chaff to grill something hot. Or, build your own PEOPLE... HOLD ON chair.

That is to say, I miss those days as well, in a crazy heartfelt way, and like Salome Bey, I'm singing songs from to Dude. The request line is open.

I've another good one for you. We're turning cursive letters into knives.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I will put $100 towards this chair for Cosmo.

Who else is in? Who wants to be the point person bidder?

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    IMG SRC="http://thegloriousandthedubious.typepad.com/echoes.jpg" WIDTH=700>

Those days when drones buzzed by in every third post and stepping out of the frames had a metaphysical cast, when people were holding on but they didn't really know to what so they just wound up holding onto each other and there wasn't some critical mass of homophobes to insist that holding onto each other is something that can only be done when followed by a reassertion of heterosexuality (yes i'm talking about you homo), when I used to read every post in every thread so that when another person came by and needed to know what had happened in fifty words or less I could tell them, those days were wonderful days.

Those days are still with us, all around us, but they just aren't here anymore.

We've found another playground. Meet me on the slide.

http://thegloriousandthedubious.typepad.com/HelenSlide.jpg" alt="" />

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I will put $100 towards this chair for Cosmo.

Who else is in? Who wants to be the point person bidder?

Who's in here?

• I think, first things first, Cosmo needs to express the desire to buy this chair.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Oh man... Jonny hipped me to this yesterday while I was out and about at SXSW. I would love the chair. I mean, yeah I'm real flattered that you guys all think of me. But in some sense when I think of the chair I definitely think of all of us and what it means to us as a collective, in a broader sense. The chair really signifies a special time in my life, which coincided with me rediscovering that album, and getting open on Soulstrut for the first time, going though the motions so to speak, finding a voice, and the serendipity that was all those things coming together at that time. Truly a magical moment - People... Hold On!

Anyway, with that being the case, I can't allow myself to put up the cheddar for the chair at this moment. In teh grand scheme of things $800 ain't nothing, especially considering the significance of what this is and what this means to me. But you know, I'm getting married in less than 3 months and I got to be real chill about where my expenses are going at this particular moment.

But I'll continue to watch this one.

PS - Day, aren't you supposed to be on a plane, daddy?

But you know, I'm getting married in less than 3 months

I did not know that--big congratulations, my man!

• considering the significance of what this is and what this means to me. But you know, I'm getting married in less than 3 months

Is that a wedding present hint?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah dude. I'm psyched. We been together going on 8 years but you know, bout time to "make it official" haha. But shit is hectic. She graduates from law school on a Friday and we get married that Sunday.