Comments

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    RASCIST BULLSHIT IS THIS MOVIE....

Yoda, is that you?

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    IMO, Sin City was much better done and had a more cohesive storyline all around. and although the special EFX were really impressive in 300, I think Brave Heart still takes the cake on realism and action footage.

also, i think it's really amusing how this movie was so 'coincidentally' released with the current climate in the middle east and Iran.

and as far as anyone saying this movie was historically accurate.... well, that is very far from the truth. they might as well made the persians bust out into ninja suits and fight with "Axis of Evil" ninja stars.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts

also, i think it's really amusing how this movie was so 'coincidentally' released with the current climate in the middle east and Iran.

The "current climate" in the middle east has been the same for the last 4 years. Take your tin-foil hat off.

• More like 30.

The "current climate" in the middle east has been the same for the last 4 years. Take your tin-foil hat off.

LOL. thanks for the tip.

of course the overall conflict is nothing new, however, the escalation with Iran and its current mass media attention is.

ps.

KILL ALL THE SAVAGE, MYSTICAL, MENAGE A TROIS HAVING, NON-FREEDOM LOVING PERSIANS!

• Man.......the strut REALLY get's worked up over movie reviews. Yes I know that's a straight-up late pass statement, but it never ceases to amaze me.

As for my viewpoint:
    It's obviously an all out action movie shot in a painting-esque CGI style. If you expect much more from it, you probably won't leave with a smile.

• Yes they WERE tranz-sectuals in Xerxes tent. I'm a credit watcher and they actually listed them in the cast as 'trans-sexual 1' and 'trans-sexual 2' there were a couple of other freaky cast listings for the tent scene as well.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    RASCIST BULLSHIT IS THIS MOVIE....

Yoda, is that you?

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

and as far as anyone saying this movie was historically accurate.... well, that is very far from the truth. they might as well made the persians bust out into ninja suits and fight with "Axis of Evil" ninja stars.

Oh man! I'd pay money to see that! It sounds sweet! Hell, I'd fly down to Montreal so Haz and I could watch it at the dollar cinema and yell "New Florida" really really (really) loud while sipping our mango drinks and eating tamarind candy.

Might be the best thread I've seen in awhile.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2357029&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Funny shit...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Not that I have any vested interest in this, but read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_thermopylae

Then holleur back. The movie was in the ballpark, a lot more so than something like "Braveheart" even. Costumes, weaponry, uniforms, characters were added for drama, big deal.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I loved the merciless killing and the jingoism, but I could've done without the hideously deformed people.

• "Braveheart" was so far removed from history that it's not even funny, as the tour guide in Edinburgh made abundantly clear.

"That's what happens when you let an Aussie direct a movie about Scots in Ireland."

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Is everyone forgetting this based pretty much shot for shot on A COMIC BOOK?

Do you expect Thor to bring you historical accuracy? Just saying.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

Thank you... Anyone looking for amazing writing from a comic book... even a Frank Miller comic/graphic novel needs to really get back to reality.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Seriously. Every knows that Thor was really left-handed. Sheesh!

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Caught this on IMAX Friday night. I enjoyed it a lot. Fuck historical accuracy. I wanted a brutal action movie about 300 dudes taking on thousands, and I got it. IMAX was a nice way to see it for sure.

I guess maybe I'm jaded but I just expect utter garbage from every movie Hollywood puts out... that way I'm happy if anything is even mediocre. I don't go see movies in the theatre much, but I'm glad I went for this film.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I wanted a brutal action movie about 300 dudes taking on thousands

Millions. Or at least, "one million." I mean, 300 vs. 3000? Whatevs. You need 3000:1 odds to make that shit worth watching. Jyeaaaaaahhhhhh!

I guess maybe I'm jaded but I just expect utter garbage from every movie Hollywood puts out... that way I'm happy if anything is even mediocre. I don't go see movies in the theatre much, but I'm glad I went for this film.

This just repeats Jinx's same point and seriously, I don't get how people who are passionate about art in one area (music) are so willing to throw up their hands and settle for shit they KNOW is mediocre in another (cinema). I don't mean to pick on you personally but that attitude is hella depressing and it actually ends up REWARDING mediocrity because your $10 just went to help make this film a $70,000,000 opening weekend grosser, hence next year: "301: The Sequel" will no doubt make its way to theaters. (Also, you can almost bet that "Shrek 4" will "lampoon" it too).

Just peep this and follow what I'm saying:

I guess maybe I'm jaded but I just expect utter garbage from every restaurant I go to... that way I'm happy if anything is even mediocre.

I guess maybe I'm jaded but I just expect utter garbage from every book I read... that way I'm happy if anything is even mediocre.

I guess maybe I'm jaded but I just expect utter garbage from every album I listen to... that way I'm happy if anything is even mediocre.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

This just repeats Jinx's same point and seriously, I don't get how people who are passionate about art in one area (music) are so willing to throw up their hands and settle for shit they KNOW is mediocre in another (cinema). I don't mean to pick on you personally but that attitude is hella depressing and it actually ends up REWARDING mediocrity because your $10 just went to help make this film a $70,000,000 opening weekend grosser, hence next year: "301: The Sequel" will no doubt make its way to theaters. (Also, you can almost bet that "Shrek 4" will "lampoon" it too).

I guess maybe I'm jaded but I just expect utter garbage from every restaurant I go to... that way I'm happy if anything is even mediocre.

I guess maybe I'm jaded but I just expect utter garbage from every book I read... that way I'm happy if anything is even mediocre.

I guess maybe I'm jaded but I just expect utter garbage from every album I listen to... that way I'm happy if anything is even mediocre.

im passionate about music. im not passionate about todays music and have been complaining about it since i left gavin in 99. dude how many times have you heard me bitch about todays music?

i also have not settled for mediocrity in movies. i dont PAY for movies and i dont support todays hollywood. if i dont get a pass or sneak in the back i wait til its on tv/cable. okay yes i paid for pans labyrinth and children of men but it was a double feature and worth it. babel and the queen were free.

i think you are confused with your "maybe im jaded" examples as well...

what ive settled on is that media today is crap and bullshit. id be hard pressed to believe anything else after my years in the industry...

anyway ive just worked my 3rd double shift in 5 days and im not writing that clear... hopefully you get what im saying.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts

• im passionate about music. im not passionate about todays music and have been complaining about it since i left gavin in 99. dude how many times have you heard me bitch about todays music?

that's a fair point, but...

what ive settled on is that media today is crap and bullshit. id be hard pressed to believe anything else after my years in the industry...

you obviously should have quit BEFORE you got jaded. I only worked in the 'industry' for about 4 years and couldn't stand it even after that short amount of time. The industry makes no illusions about what it does: make money

Not that I have any vested interest in this, but read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_thermopylae

Then holleur back. The movie was in the ballpark, a lot more so than something like "Braveheart" even. Costumes, weaponry, uniforms, characters were added for drama, big deal.

yeah, historically speaking, you're right. 300 had a more accurate depiction of what hapenned in the general sense i.e. how, when and where. but to me, braveheart brought out that feeling in making you feel like you're actually in the scene experiencing what it really felt like to experience war. don't get me wrong here though, i'm not saying nothing like brave heart was the best action movie ever, though one of my boys will think differently, Jmac where you at? it's just that i'm tired of seeing movies that try to make war seem so effing glamorous. war fucking sucks and that's that. aint no fun in it. though, i'm sure there are others who would disagree with that sentiment as well. it's alright, i aint mad.

but whatev, sure we can scan over the little hints of subtle radical party rhetoric, and even not let simple quotes from the movie like, "Freedom isn't Free" get to us and make us twitch. it's just an action movie. innocent as that.

really though, i aint mad.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Hi, I haven't really followed this thread and don't intend to watch 300, but I kind of want to see what that doud with swords for hands in the preview does.

im passionate about music. im not passionate about todays music and have been complaining about it since i left gavin in 99. dude how many times have you heard me bitch about todays music?

you obviously should have quit BEFORE you got jaded. I only worked in the 'industry' for about 4 years and couldn't stand it even after that short amount of time. The industry makes no illusions about what it does: make money

but see i worked every indie project from 93 till 99. that was why i stayed. i knew what the industry was/is... was. i ran the games that everyone did and enjoyed myself immensely. i will say those were the best years of my life so far.

...but i also got to see firsthand who got chosen to get the spotlight at labels. not the best act thats for sure. so i knew then shit was crap. jesus i worked at a local radio station where all i heard about was who was paying us to play (enter bullshit artist here) and they were on 20+ times a day and plaques on the MDs walls.

anyway... i loved that industry/work. i just dont speak highly of it.

• im passionate about music. im not passionate about todays music and have been complaining about it since i left gavin in 99. dude how many times have you heard me bitch about todays music?

but see i worked every indie project from 93 till 99. that was why i stayed. i knew what the industry was/is... was. i ran the games that everyone did and enjoyed myself immensely. i will say those were the best years of my life so far.

...but i also got to see firsthand who got chosen to get the spotlight at labels. not the best act thats for sure. so i knew then shit was crap. jesus i worked at a local radio station where all i heard about was who was paying us to play (enter bullshit artist here) and they were on 20+ times a day and plaques on the MDs walls.

yup, it really is a 'pay to play' industry. I saw similar shit at a magazine where dudes from Rawkus were leveraging all the ads they had bought to get Mos Def on the cover. Maybe this should be in the 'tips' thread?

yup, it really is a 'pay to play' industry. I saw similar shit at a magazine where dudes from Rawkus were leveraging all the ads they had bought to get Mos Def on the cover. Maybe this should be in the 'tips' thread?

hahah...

oh the stories we could share... good times good times...

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I still don't get the criticism. This is a movie based upon a comic book. This is probably one of the best adaptations out there. Ten times better than your average Fantastic Four, X-Men, whathave you.

P.S. - When they were making the movie I'm pretty sure they weren't thinking, Gee, Bush is trying to blame the mess in Iraq on Iran, so this movie is a great idea! Hell, probably most people in America don't even know Persians are Iranians!

That and anyone heading to a Hollywood flick to get a history lesson would be better served to take that money and hit up a museum.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    I wanted a brutal action movie about 300 dudes taking on thousands

Millions. Or at least, "one million." I mean, 300 vs. 3000? Whatevs. You need 3000:1 odds to make that shit worth watching. Jyeaaaaaahhhhhh!

You're nitpicking. lol

I understand your perspective. But I just don't expect every piece of art to be amazing. Especially a big gory hollywood blockbuster like this. I don't mean that I have no expectations for films or appreciation for films that are poignant and thought provoking and historically accurate and beautiful etc etc etc. I just said that I don't have much faith in a film like that coming out of the beast that is hollywood. I don't support shite movies by paying at the theatre. Hell... I don't even support good movies by going to see them. This time was a hookup through a friend with promo tickets.

I wish I could live in a world where commercial art is held up to more scrutiny, and played a more important role in society outside of its capitalistic endeavours. But I don't. I will agree that this is a sad state of affairs, but I I'm not going to hold my breath while I wait for it to change. In the meantime I'm going to enjoy watching the occasional over the top action blockbuster.

To me this type of movie is like the film equivalent of crack rap.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Holy shit this movie was fucking RIDICULOUS. I've never seen anything so unintentionally camp.

hilarious, and terrible.

racist, sure. It was also simultaneously homophobic and homoerotic.

Ideologically it made no sense...it was like a wholly earnest starship troopers

why on earth anyone would prefer living in sparta to persia is beyond me - i've gotta give it up to the hunchback for 'getting it.'

This movie is about a bunch of dudebros getting real hot and bothered by dying for a lost cause. Good times!!!