13»

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I thought we were only aloud to start self-congratulatory threads when our post count reaches a multiple of 1000.

GTFOHWTBS about your piddling 300 posts.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Ok, I just saw the movie and if you tell me it was written by K. Eng I'll believe you.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Saw the flick lastnight at the IMAX.

While not the best movie I've seen this year, it was one of the best comic adaptations I've ever seen.

Could someone go into the racist aspects of the film for me?

Homophobic, homoerotic & transexuals Oh My... Quick, somebody grab Toto and lets go see the wizard.

A hint or a touch of this in a film and this is what you bring out of it? Cause, yeah... That shit didn't exist back then. Did it ruin the film for you?

Edit:

Movie to Comic comparison.
    http://www.zyped.com/media.php?file=300.jpg

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Nathan Lee in the Voice:
    On first glance, the terms couldn't be clearer: macho white guys vs. effeminate Orientals. Yet aside from the fact that Spartans come across as pinched, pinheaded gym bunnies, it's their flesh the movie worships. Not since Beau Travail has a phalanx of meatheads received such insistent ogling. As for the threat to peace, freedom, and democracy, that filthy Persian orgy looks way more fun than sitting around watching Spartans mope while their angry children slap each other around. At once homophobic and homoerotic, 300 is finally, and hilariously, just hysterical.

Also, I've never seen so many un-hairy greeks in my life. Those dudes must have been waxing for days.

Nathan Lee in the Voice:
    On first glance, the terms couldn't be clearer: macho white guys vs. effeminate Orientals. Yet aside from the fact that Spartans come across as pinched, pinheaded gym bunnies, it's their flesh the movie worships. Not since Beau Travail has a phalanx of meatheads received such insistent ogling. As for the threat to peace, freedom, and democracy, that filthy Persian orgy looks way more fun than sitting around watching Spartans mope while their angry children slap each other around. At once homophobic and homoerotic, 300 is finally, and hilariously, just hysterical.

Also, I've never seen so many un-hairy greeks in my life. Those dudes must have been waxing for days.

Dude,

This is a Hollywood flick adapted from a comic book, which is based on a battle from 480 BC. Involving a small group of Greeks entirely devoted to fighting (Shit, they even killed any of their babies that seemed weak at birth).

The fact that they were defending from an invasion made up of a hundred nations ruled by the Persians doesn't make it racist.

Damn, you ever been to Greece? There are plenty of statues of non-chizzled overly hairy dudes around.

Stop looking for a representation of today in a Hollywood movie about a tale from over 2 thousand years ago. Better yet, buy a plane ticket and go check it out yourself.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    how the hell did you get that i'm looking for historical realism based on my posts?

Just the fact that what you've posted above seems like most of the problems you (And the quotes you've posted) have with the film, has something to do with what in reality is truth. You pull out "racist, homophobic and homoerotic" supposed tones in the film, which I don't understand why.

It's like your saying. "It sucked. These clowns are always going around fighting almost naked with their obsessively worked up bodies messing with non-whites for no damn reason." Look at one of my examples... I've never seen so many non-hairy greek guy's!

But then you said

why on earth anyone would prefer living in sparta to persia is beyond me - i've gotta give it up to the hunchback for 'getting it.'

This movie is about a bunch of dudebros getting real hot and bothered by dying for a lost cause. Good times!!!

Which should have told me you shouldn't have seen the movie in the first place. Your time would have been better served watching something on TBS perhaps.

PS-It wasn't a lost cause. The Greeks ended up winning the war. With a big portion of reason being this last stand these particular Spartans took.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    now you're giving me historical realism as an argument!

Sorry dude i don't think its that complicated. I dont' know how you can see that many six packs in two hours and not say that this is as much a study of greek history as it is the masculine ideal, and the homoerotic undertones are not exactly cleverly hidden.

now you're giving me historical realism as an argument!

Sorry dude i don't think its that complicated. I dont' know how you can see that many six packs in two hours and not say that this is as much a study of greek history as it is the masculine ideal, and the homoerotic undertones are not exactly cleverly hidden.

Uh huh, when I went to Greece and saw hundreds of ancient statues of dudes with six packs in a matter of minutes I should have questioned the cleverly hidden undertones much closely.

Whether or not, there is truth in what your saying. I still don't see your problem with a Hollywood film using it. Or why it's a joke. Did they misrepresent what we know of Spartan history in some way?

Would you have enjoyed the film more perhaps if the director would have thrown in a fat clothed spartan here and there?

Man, I'd hate for you to read into the part of history where Spartan men and women exercise naked. Or ripped dudes wrestle each other almost naked (And in some cases were).

In any case. I still don't understand what you meant when you said "i've gotta give it up to the hunchback for 'getting it."

What did the hunchback get?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i like this part of the village voice's review:
    Delicacies of dismemberment aside, 300 is notable for its outrageous sexual confusion. Here stands the Spartan king Leonidas (Gerard Butler) and his 299 buddies in nothing but leather man-panties and oiled torsos, clutching a variety of phalluses they seek to thrust in the bodies of their foes by trapping them in a small, rectum-like mountain passage called the "gates of hell(o!)" Yonder rises the Persian menace, led by the slinky, mascara'd Xerxes. When he's not flaring his nostrils at Leonidas and demanding he kneel down before his, uh, majesty, this flamboyantly pierced crypto-transsexual lounges on chinchilla throw pillows amidst a rump-shaking orgy of disfigured lesbians.

Both of you sound asshurt.

But bonus points for proper use of the word Oriental.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    saying something is hysterical sounds asshurt?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Someone asked if the abs were real: