Rawkus vs. El-P, round 148

oripsorips 238 Posts
edited March 2007 in Strut Central
El-P (Company Flow) and Puffy?El-P's response to said photo.What's the reason for Rawkus to post this photo with that headline?

Comments

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    puffy > el-p

dude is confusing the hell at of me with his reply. if dude really has no ill feelings towards puffy then he would have let that shit slide. but dude obviously feels that his fan base will think it detracts from his artistic merits.

and seriously...he "rushed home to put this pic on his myspace page"? is dude 15 yrs old?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    puffy > el-p

dude is confusing the hell at of me with his reply. if dude really has no ill feelings towards puffy then he would have let that shit slide. but dude obviously feels that his fan base will think it detracts from his artistic merits.

and seriously...he "rushed home to put this pic on his myspace page"? is dude 15 yrs old?

He also suffers from an exaggerated sense of self-importance.

"Puffy and El-P in the same room!!??"

Somebody and nobody in the same room!!??

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    man c'mon I may not be a fan of Puffy but you best beleive I would pass that to my friends if I had a picture take with him... hell i was Geeked as hell when Pete Rock came through the shop the other day and actually bought records.

The funniest part about that picture is Dibbs next to puffy... haha. Classic.

• DJ_ZestDJ_Zest 252 Posts
    I think he was pointing out the sheer irony of one the most "independent as fuck" underground artists hanging with the most world famous hip-hop "entities" (--- John Brown reference), at least Puffy was dancin and not "smackin fire out that ass"
    El-Ps new album is pretty good too, I like it a lot more than Fantastic Damage..
    Peace
    DJ Zest

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    puffy > el-p

He also suffers from an exaggerated sense of self-importance.

"Puffy and El-P in the same room!!??"

Somebody and nobody in the same room!!??

Hey now, I don't think Puffy's soundscapes have ever been futuristic.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I was quite literally surprised to see from this post that Rawkus had a website/still existed.

Rawkus Admin Says:
    March 8th, 2007 at 3:40 pm

Look guys, Rawkus is just doing what anyone in the industry would do???put out dope music and make some money.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Rawkus dude's feeble back-peddling from an obvious attempt to clown El-P is pretty pathetic.

The funniest part about that picture is Dibbs next to puffy

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    puffy obviously >>>>>> el-p but i still like the beats on FanDam and co flow and even some El-P rapping.

Picture is way better without the stupid argument below it. El-P sounds asshurt.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    El-P obviously doesn't spend as much money on cameras as he does on gear. That pic looks taken with a disposable.

I wonder if Puff even remembers posing in the pic that "sent shockwaves through the indie rap world."

What ever happened to that Atmosphere graemlin Atmosphere?

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    I was quite literally surprised to see from this post that Rawkus had a website/still existed.

Rawkus Admin Says:
    March 8th, 2007 at 3:40 pm

Look guys, Rawkus is just doing what anyone in the industry would do???put out dope music and make some money.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Rawkus dude's feeble back-peddling from an obvious attempt to clown El-P is pretty pathetic.

damn they deleted the post..

• yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
    plus that picture could be from 95-96. Back then El-Producto wasn't mad at Flex for playing Vital Nerve so cheesing with Puff wouldn't have been the dust up is seems to have randomly caused now.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    according to el producto's corny myspace post its from a few days ago

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    eL p Is a fucking sell out!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    it is kinda funny that rawkus pulled that post already. probably some intern or some shit who posted it. i don't really care about this whole thing about el-p does have a reason to complain about this but i think ignoring it would probably send a stronger signal

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    two ass clowns in the same room at the same time, who the fuck cares??

• 1219197712191977 323 Posts
    All you geeks want to be both of those dudes.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I don't care what anyone says, the beats I've heard on the new El-P record are pretty ridiculous.
    I don't know about the rest of this mess.

Man, Dibbs is so skinny now I didn't even recognize him.

btw - I bet Rawkus is pissed from the
    "Signed to Rawkus? I'd rather be mouthfucked by nazis unconscious" line in this song

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts

I???ve never been into EL-P, apart from the Stepfather Factory tracks and a verse on a Murs album, but I decided to give this new joint a blast and well???I don???t know really???I kind of like it but I don???t know if its an emperors new clothes kind of thing and in a day or two I???m going to be wondering what the hell did I see in it.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Does anyone know if this has been leaked yet?

I always liked el-p's beats and I'd like to hear this shit. I called in sick to work and would enjoy bumpin this while I chill at home.

Maybe I should hit up that "how do I search for music in blogs" thread... lol

• sergserg 682 Posts
    it has leaked although the leaked version is a promo shouting out some dude's name in ever song. you can find it on most torrent sites.

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    it has leaked although the leaked version is a promo shouting out some dude's name in ever song. you can find it on most torrent sites.

yeah that dude is never getting a promo again is his life..

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    The beats are kinda next level and there is one song that is floating around as a colored 12" that is pretty mantronixstyle and very dope. Apart from that I am not too impressed with nine inch nail and cat power features and sonic massacres that sound like futurama on crack. But that is just me, respect to el for doing what he does...

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    to anyone who cares, here's the rawkus reply:

We thought the photo of you and Puff was cool. We posted it without comment. We immediately removed it upon request. But you had to go there... Straight attack our credibility and intentions with that slanderous rant. Keep in mind WE HAVEN'T SAID A WORD to you since 1998. Why are you salty? Be happy, you are successful and rich. Regardless of our obvious distaste for one another, we???ve admired Def Jux's success and sincerely respect your roster of artists. But you had to go there......

El-P, your recent post has drawn attention to our intentions as promoters and marketers in the Hip Hop community. Haters, like you, seem to suffer from historical amnesia. We thought it was time we directly addressed the Hiphop community and post some facts.

Our mission at Rawkus.com is to create a vibrant supportive community for hip hop, including all factions and styles. The post showing El-P and Puffy was in no way meant to discredit El-P as an artist or producer. Puffy is a mogul and his appearance with an underground artist like El-P was news worthy and interesting. However, we have a strict policy against creating bullshit beefs and reserve the right to delete comments and posts that overtly create hate instead of fostering creative debate. This post was removed once it was brought to our attention that El-P was offended by it.

For the past ten years our mission has been to help artists promote and make money---a mission we were very successful at. We have contributed HEAVY financial resources into promoting Black Star, Mos Def, Kweli, Pharoahe Monche, Big L and many other underground artists in our history of Soundbombing, Lyricist Lounge, and 100s of 12??? releases.

Our history is full of success and breakthroughs. Mos Def and Kweli have sold almost 1.5 million albums each and are both powerful stars now. While we worked together, Pharoahe Monche had two huge hits (???Simon Says??? and ???Oh No???) and sold almost 300,000 albums. We supported Common during his label
    transition by successfully promoting ???Respiration??? and ???1999.??? Big L went GOLD! The Soundbombing and Lyricist Lounge compilations sold over 1 million copies. Remember "Body Rock???, ???Definition", "Ms. Fat Booty", "Umi Says???, ???Simon Says", "The Light???, ???Respiration", "My Life", "The Blast", "Get By", "Oh No", "Flamboyant???, ???Fortified Live", "Universal Magnetic" and "End to End Burners"?

Of course we could not hit home runs every time, and some VERY talented artists experienced frustration as Rawkus hit temporary obstacles in dealing with MCA/Universal in 2003-2004. Everybody knows how treacherous the music industry is. If you stay in it long enough, you will have your fair share of doors slammed in your face- we have! You stay in the game because your will to succeed, far out weighs your fear of defeat. We are proud of RAWKUS.COM's growing community of driven artists and individuals. While the game has changed, our mission at RAWKUS is still on point; market and promote NEW under-appreciated artists and respect the older generation of hip hop. We firmly believe the community should decide the value of music, not critics or haters.

Jarret Myer & Brian Brater
    RAWKUS
    Co-Founders

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    here's the rawkus reply:

to what?

where is the El-P response to the pic?

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    here's the rawkus reply:

to what?

where is the El-P response to the pic?

Umm, in the very first post.

• oripsorips 238 Posts
    El-P response:

BEEF IS WORTHLESS

i just got off the phone with the owner and co founder of rawkus records. he assured me that they meant no dissrespect and that he had the news posting taken down from his site the second he learned about it. i appreciated the call.

so fuck it. i have no beef. im just trying to do my thing as i assume they are. fact is, just cause i had a less than positive experience with them doesnt mean everyone else will. i cant and wont apologize for how i see the way shit went down, but thats between me and them and i have no time or intention of bringing that old shit any further in to the public eye.

so good luck, rawkus. may the future bring you joy and success. this culture and this business is hard enough without motherfuckers beefing. do you.

easy,

el-p

edit:

i just saw the rawkus press release on "el-ps attack". ok. after i just got off the phone with jarret meyer and was assured they had no intention of continuing a negative campaign. motherfuckers. ok. silly me. silly fucking me for once again going with my word as told to jarret and doing my part to smooth out anything negative. awesome. at every single turn you people shit on the face of honor. haters like me. poor you. yeah, i "had to go there".

im a "hater". i have "historical amnesia". oh wait.. im "rich". ok fellas. i guess it looked to0 good on paper for you to resist. i tell you what. im gonna go to my rehearsal now. you guys are great. and important. good luck with being so great.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    El-P seems like a very high-strung person

El-P seems like a four year old.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    dude sounds asshurt x10000000000

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

sayin. whatever happened to the good ol' days when i person would just beat/stab/shoot you if they had beef. now they take it to their myspace blogs?

thumbs down.

sayin. whatever happened to the good ol' days when i person would just beat/stab/shoot you if they had beef. now they take it to their myspace blogs?

thumbs down.

"We all rushed home to clap back on our MySpace blogs!"