Your All-time Favorite Rappers

Comments

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Is that a photoshop?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    nope

Never in a million years would i picture him being a waxidermist.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    looks like his boxset game is on lock.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Kool Moe Dee

Glad that SOMEONE mentioned him. On of the greatest of all time.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

YZ

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    I see a lot of Monch on these lists. Who's checking for his new record?

Who's checking for his new record?

me,i've only heard a few tracks from it so far,cant wait for it to drop.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    GHOSTFACE
    BIGGIE
    E-40
    SCARFACE

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    In no particular order, except the top 3 are top 3
    rakim
    kool g rap
    big daddy kane

bun b
    PEACE
    Mikah 9
    RifleMan*
    Method Man
    Raekwon
    Nas
    Redman
    Devin the Dude
    e 40
    scarface
    ice cube
    mc eight (jeah)
    latee
    krs

* - I know, I know. You can hate me now.

• KaushikKaushik 320 Posts
    Nobody's mentioned Jeru... surely he rates.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Nobody's mentioned Jeru... surely he rates.

no.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    sigh... i hate these kinds of lists because I know I'm gonna forget somebody, but...

Mele Mel
    Grandmaster Caz
    Kool Moe Dee
    LA Sunshine (Treacherous Three)
    G.L.O.B.E. (Soulsonic Force)
    DLB (Fearless Four)
    Devastating Tito (Fearless Four)
    Run
    DMC
    LL Cool J
    Slick Rick
    Rakim
    Big Daddy Kane
    Kool G Rap
    Bizmarkie
    KRS-One
    MC Lyte
    Chuck D
    Masta Ace
    Posdnous
    Greg Nice
    Ice Cube
    The D.O.C.
    Scarface
    Jay-Z
    Biggie
    Nas
    Ol' Dirty Bastard
    Ghostface
    Monch
    Big-L
    Big Pun
    Eminem
    MF Doom
    Kanye West (yes)
    Ludacris
    Phill Most Chill (shoulda been no. 1 to me...)

Redman (I told you I'd forget somebody)
    MC Paul Barman (i'm not joking about this either)

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    You and I spoke are pieces then

mental midgetry

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts
    q-tip
    big l
    del

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    biggie
    biggie
    biggie

cant you see?!

he would rate in my top 5 most over rated rappers ever.

you don't like rap music

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Right now - the game is kind of in sorry shape for rappers that elicit that "oh shit" reaction. theres a few out there, but the best are still developing and have yet to drop classics. Best of right now...

1. wayne
    2. cham (even though his album was meh, this dude can spit and is the real deal)
    3. Clipse (just pound for pound lyrics these guys are heavyweights. sometimes the songs are a bit lacking though)
    4. T.I. (hasnt dropped any classics and his lyrical content is somewhat limited, but his flow is impeccable)

thats about it right now. And honestly the only one thats actually making me reach for the rewind button on some old school shit is wayne.

my era - As an 80's baby, this is my golden age. Nas would be higher up if he could get his act together for a whole album. Technically BIG was easily the best rapper. So hes tops, even though ill take pac's raw emotion. Snoop cause he dropped probably the greatest west coast album of all time. Rae and ghost cause they were the best in the wu, even though i used to like gza alot. And when 50 first came out on those mix tapes he was undeniable.

1. BIG
    2. PAC
    3. NAS
    4. ANDRE (on his A game)
    5. Jay (although he lost points with that last record)
    6. Snoop (one of the coldest ever)
    7. Fiddy (like gods plan era.)
    8. Rae and ghostface

hmmm.. i know im missing a few, but you don't get on the list unless you have at least 1 certified classic album to your name.

Of course you could list real golden era mc's for days. but some i dont think have been mentioned yet who i think deserve consideration.

1. D.O.C.
    2. Ice Cube (right up through lethal injection)
    3. Rakim (basically fathered the modern rap flow)
    4. finesse! - illest voice, clearly taught big l how to rap.

and thats all, ill let you old folks big up the rest.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    50 cent? i dont know about this one. i heard his first album and a little bit of stuff after that. im not a fan.

and whoever said biggie was doodoo on a stick is retarded. seriously. im not a biggest BIG fan but his rhymes and his flow are beyond nice. i hear his stuff all the time cuz the wife is a fan.

i really like kool g, rakim (pre comeback), nas, jay-z, slick rick, dres (just always liked his flow), t.i (im a new fan), mobb deep (not as individuals but as a team i like their tracks and verses)... and i cant think of anything else...

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    50 cent? i dont know about this one. i heard his first album and a little bit of stuff after that. im not a fan.

and whoever said biggie was doodoo on a stick is retarded. seriously. im not a biggest BIG fan but his rhymes and his flow are beyond nice. i hear his stuff all the time cuz the wife is a fan.

i really like kool g, rakim (pre comeback), nas, jay-z, slick rick, dres (just always liked his flow), t.i (im a new fan), mobb deep (not as individuals but as a team i like their tracks and verses)... and i cant think of anything else...

My girlfriend loves Biggie as well - I do think Christopher Wallace does it for the ladies.

Funny you mentioning Dres, was just thinking that there was a distinct lack of native tongue names listed so far. I doubt any of them would make the greatest rapper ever list but as personal favourites people like Dres would probably be up there for me, but maybe that's because I'm old/disconnected/don't like rap

Apart from that, think Bsides kinda summed up most of my feelings though haven't heard anything by 50 that would make me rank him highly - would be interested in hearing the earlier stuff and modern rappers list would have to include :carpetbagguer: both Trae and Z-ro :carpetbagguer: among others.

Own list is not really about where they are now but about where they were at the top of their game. Something predictably like (in no order):

Biggie
    Snoop
    Bun B
    Ghostface
    Rakim
    Kane
    Andre
    Ice Cube
    Nas
    Pharoahe Monch
    Chuck D
    Kool G Rap

and Lord Finesse

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    Biggie, no doubt!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    4. T.I. (hasnt dropped any classics and his lyrical content is somewhat limited, but his flow is impeccable)

You Dont Know Me!

4. finesse! - illest voice, clearly taught big l how to rap.

"Taught" is the wrong description.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    you don't think he's dropped classics? Really? I'd give him two. Maybe three at a push (if Reasonable Doubt is a classic then I'm Serious is too)

(if Reasonable Doubt is a classic then I'm Serious is too)

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Hate if oyu want, but:

Dose one
    Buck 65
    GZA
    Ol' Dirt Mc Gurt (how does one not wild out when dude comes on?)
    Weezy
    Outkast (the both of them)

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    They're both flawed but hungry-sounding debuts that established an artist before he'd fully shaped his sound but also show lots of promise, underrated at the time of release and grow more interesting with time just because of what paths the artists would follow later. I think they're extremely comparable albums.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Hmm I also totally disagree with the lyrical content thing...Trap Muzik is one of the more CONTENT oriented rap albums i've heard in the past couple years.

They're both flawed but hungry-sounding debuts that established an artist before he'd fully shaped his sound but also show lots of promise, underrated at the time of release and grow more interesting with time just because of what paths the artists would follow later. I think they're extremely comparable albums.

For the record. RD wasNOT underatted when it dropped. Maybe in Iowa it was, but the audience it was made for responded. And for T.I., videos for that album were all over BET everyday. Kise were going bonkers and my sistafriend brought it to my crib to listen to. He was popular. Underrated?

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    And for T.I., videos for that album were all over BET everyday. Kise were going bonkers and my sistafriend brought it to my crib to listen to. He was popular. Underrated?

You sure you're thinking of I'm Serious? Because that album was notoriously underpromoted.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Well obviously RD was popular - it went gold, right? - but we're talking about the nerds like us who actually differentiate between 'classic' and "i like this and will buy it"

I don't remember seeing T.I. videos on TV prior to rubber band man

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    you don't think he's dropped classics? Really? I'd give him two.

For real--dude is where Jay was at half a decade ago; a legend while still at the top of the game.