Strictly for the Wire fans

OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
There was an intersting interview with The Wire's co-creators Ed Burns and David Simon, in the weekends paper. Thought some of you might appreciate.Its pasted below or you can read it here
Hailed as the best, most sprawling TV show ever made, The Wire takes an unflinching look at the bankruptcy of the drugs war. Ben Marshall talks to the creators with a novel approachSaturday February 10, 2007The GuardianHead east or west away from Baltimore's still relatively prosperous centre and you are suddenly struck by a curious silence. Traffic, that pervasive presence of the American city, is all but absent here. So, too, are people; unless you count the groups of alternately giggling or sullen corner boys who sell heroin and cocaine 24/7. Whole streets have been forsaken; whole city blocks are completely derelict, 47,000 homes and counting. Amid one of the highest murder rates in the western world, people are running for - literally - their lives.The doors and windows of the vacant properties are boarded and the boards are often stencilled with a message so redolent of inadvertent irony you feel faintly queasy looking at it. In large neat block capitals the words read: "IF ANIMAL TRAPPED CALL 410 396-6286". Some of these crumbling shells shelter feral, frightened children abandoned by parents who have long since surrendered themselves to analgesic oblivion. And if it hadn't occurred to you before it certainly occurs to you now; Baltimore is bleeding to death. This is the subject of HBO's The Wire, a drama so rich in character and nuance, and so powerful in its anger and painful with its humour that it has been compared to the darkest classics of literature. It is no coincidence that some of America's most accomplished novelists (such as George Pelecanos, Dennis Lehane and Richard Price) have written for its first four seasons. Nor was it a surprise when the New York Times wrote: "If Charles Dickens were alive today, he would watch The Wire, unless, that is, he was already writing for it." The difference in The Wire however, is that there is no kindly old gentleman to set things right.Over the course of its four series (a fifth and final is in pre-production right now) The Wire does what no other TV programme has ever attempted to do. It immerses us in the lives of drug dealers, cops, politicians, stick-up artists and junkies. It makes their plights and conflicts so palpably real we are compelled to undergo, if not a moral crisis, then certainly a moral re-examination. Its fourth season was considered so important that when it was screened last summer in the US, both the New York and LA Times devoted their editorial columns to it. It is a show of giddying, riveting, uncompromising complexity. And makes the fullest use of its 12 episode, 12 hour format.Co-creator Ed Burns explains it this way. "We can do things no other show can do. It's wonderful, because you can plan something in episode nine that doesn't blossom until 35. I remember in the second season we had this woman in the background just scrubbing her steps. And you see her in the background, just scrubbing every episode, and the drug dealers are moving closer and closer, until the final episode - they're sitting on her steps and she has a little "for sale" sign in the window."The first three seasons are largely devoted to the bringing down of the ruthlessly efficient Barksdale/Bell drug crew. Avon Barksdale is a mixture of explosive violence and cloying sentimentality, forever lecturing others on family values and loyalty even as he goes about his murderous business. His infinitely more dangerous lieutenant Stringer Bell is the embodiment of Machiavellian charm and bootstrap capitalism. By the end of season three these two men, who by now we cannot help but root for, have accumulated so much cash they have set about buying up swathes of property on Baltimore's lucrative waterfront, prompting one detective to observe: "So Stringer and Avon are worse than drugs dealers; they're property developers."It is this careful development of character and plot that has seen The Wire rightly compared to great epic novels. Initially billed as a cop show (a label that Ed Burns's writing partner David Simon describes as a "necessary Trojan Horse"), it bears no resemblance to any cop show you might have seen. Unlike, say, the CSI franchise, where unequivocally good and good-looking men and women swan around swish offices, and viewers are accustomed to the crime lab delivering perpetrators neatly at the end of each episode, The Wire offers no such comforts. Here the cops are, for the most part, a bunch of aggressive, workshy drunks who inhabit a filthy basement so appallingly ill-equipped they barely have a computer between them. And the cops are of course pitted against the crooks, but since we spend as much time in the company of the latter as we do the former, our sympathies are forever being tested to breaking point."That's the problem with most cop shows," explains David Simon. "It's the black hat, white hat thing. I swear if I had to write a police procedural right now, I'd put a gun to my head. On shows where only the arrest matters, where it's about good and evil, punishing crime, the poor and the rich, the suspect exists to exalt the good guys, to make the Sipowiczes [the no-nonsense cop in NYPD Blue] and the Pembletons [the no-nonsense cop in Homicide - Life On The Streets] and the Joe Fridays [the no-nonsense cop in the protoypical Dragnet] that much more moral, that much more righteous, that much more intellectualised. It's to validate their point of view and the point of view of society. So, you end up with same stilted picture of the underclass. Either they're the salt of earth looking for a break, and not at all responsible, or they're dangerous and evil and need to be punished. That's a good precedent for creating an alienated America. Dramatically I have no interest in good versus evil. I am interested in institutions, and how they seek to preserve themselves even as they are crumbling."So in season three of The Wire Simon and Burns draw direct parallels between street level corruption and incompetence, and the venal indifference of Baltimore's political establishment. We move from street busts and crunchy beatings, through squalid squats, to the marbled corridors of City Hall. Every petty dealer is running some sorry little scam. The cops, however good or bad they may be, are perpetually the victims of a quota system that effectively discourages the investigation of crimes, since an investigation has necessarily to acknowledge a crime has been committed in the first place. And the dealers themselves, Barksdale and Bell, inhabit a netherworld of blood, lies and spiralling paranoia. Meanwhile the politicians, both the cynically ambitious and the well meaning, attempt to spin an unspinnable scenario. If this rings any bells then it should do."Season three," explains David Simon, "opens with two towers being blown up. This initiates a dumb and protracted war. Now people will come to me and ask, 'Is there a metaphor here?' Well what the fuck do you think? Baltimore is the star of the show, but it's not the subject. American power and American weakness is the subject. One of the subjects." The only pure, institutionally untainted character in The Wire is Omar, an openly gay, and selectively but astonishingly violent stick-up artist. Armed with a 12-gauge shotgun, he earns his money by blowing the balls off dealers and stealing their stash and cash. At one point he is seen wearing a T-shirt emblazoned with the words "I am the American Dream.""African American drug crews can be pretty homophobic," explains Burns, "so Omar could never really have belonged to any of those crews. He's out on his own.""It's funny," says David Simon, "When we initially created that character people would come up
to us on the street and say 'I like Omar, but why does he have to be gay?' Now everyone likes him, it's like his sexuality has become peripheral, which is very gratifying." With the likes of Omar, Bell and Barksdale, Burns and Simon have pulled off a trick few would dare attempt and even fewer could pull off with such lyrical aplomb. They have created characters that are at once loathsome and utterly fascinating. To then get us to empathise with these men is extraordinary. Equally, the cops - caught between the dealers and the vicissitudes of City Hall - are, even at their most honest and likable, grippingly dysfunctional. "For this, and much more besides, The Wire is the most critically acclaimed TV programme in the history of the medium. The characters haunt you long, long after you have watched it. In season four Burns and Simon explore Baltimore's hopeless education system. The main protagonists are no longer the cops and dealers who inhabited the first three seasons, but rather the children trapped between impecunious schools and Baltimore's lucrative drug culture. "IF ANIMAL TRAPPED CALL 410 396-6286." People do occasionally call, of course. Trapped and starving dogs tend to annoy those few remaining neighbours who are either too poor, too stupid, too stubborn or too brave to move. They even annoy the child street dealers who sometimes entertain themselves by shooting the animals dead. But people don't call for the kids. The kids, it seems, are just one animal too much.

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Season 3 came out on DVD last week. Season 4 starts in the UK tonight. I AM READY.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    For some reason, I keep waiting to see Clay Davis in the newspaper, like damn they're never gonna take down that crooked-ass politician.

We need a Clay Davis graemlin.

Sort of like:

But with:

Sheeeeeeeiiiitttttt.

• anyone know what's the release date for the season 4 US dvd?

i downloaded it when it leaked, but the laptop screen just didn't do it justice.

• season 4? plaese to hook the those w/o hbo up!

i'll see your clay davis 'shiiieett'
    with a mcnultys 'the fuck did i do?'

-rich

• to be exact, i got someone to download it for me as i'm totally out of the loop with movie downoading and whatnot. i got it early, way before season had even finished on hbo, apparently ripped from a reviewers copy. i deleted it recently as it took quite a bit of space. i'm sure someone here knows where those things can be found.

anyway, i'm buying the dvd as soon as it drops.

so the final season is airing fall 07? or spring 08?

• noted.

is there a release date for season 4 of the wire yet?

• if you need season 4 asap i can ask my friend where he got it. pm me.

I downloaded it as a bit torrent off Isohunt. A few taped off HBO, but most of the episodes are rips from screener DVDs.

• Man I kept hearing that Tom Waits intro for "Down In The Hole"
    for Season 2. And I keep thinking, what the hell, howcome every
    time the Wire starts, in my head pops the phrase "BUT MY BALLS ITCH!"
    ?

So, I took that schitt to the-breaks.com. And I'm like, oh yeah,
    goddamn 3rd Bass. With MC Serch doing his best Tom Waits impression.
    What a dork. And he gets so damn mad on that White Rapper show.
    I'm just like, how can you get mad, you pre-emptively ruined the intro
    to a whole season of the Wire, dickweed.

• those with HBO on demand might still have accessto all of them. mabye the can burn them off the tv? do humans have this technology yet?

whatupsampo?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Wire is no longer available as On Demand from my cable company and I think that's US wide.

If HBO keeps their past patterns, Season 4 will not come out on DVD until right before Season 5 comes out, which means you'll probably be waiting a year or more!

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    the wire season 4 just came back to on demand on the 12th of feb, yo !

• That Verizon commercial they had w/ Clay DAvis about a month ago cracked me up every damn time.

"No. Dad got hosed."

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    if only he could have dropped his shhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiit in that commercial

• if only he could have dropped his shhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiit in that commercial

SAYING THOUGH.

• if only he could have dropped his shhhheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeiiit in that commercial

SAYING THOUGH.

Yo that Verizon commercial he's in is hilarious. Doin' it fa da keeds.

• the way all these wire actors keep popping up is funny...mcnulty is in the new hannibal movie and the 300- weirdo sparta fighter movie. clay davis is in that verizon spot, faux's avatar did that arby's spot, omar was in law & order playing a pimp...

i can't see them outside of their wire roles, though- its tough. mark hammill x 100.

• the way all these wire actors keep popping up is funny...mcnulty is in the new hannibal movie and the 300- weirdo sparta fighter movie. clay davis is in that verizon spot, faux's avatar did that arby's spot, omar was in law & order playing a pimp...

i can't see them outside of their wire roles, though- its tough. mark hammill x 100.

and the Law and Order franchise stays having Wire cameos for days.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    omar played a homeless man on boston legal last season. he was begging for money and william shatner's character ignored him so he threw a brick at him and then william shatner shot him with a paintball gun. it was kinda ridiculous

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    omar played a homeless man on boston legal last season. he was begging for money and william shatner's character ignored him so he threw a brick at him and then william shatner shot him with a paintball gun. it was kinda ridiculous

He was also featured in that masterwork of longform music video, "Trapped in the Closet"

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts

He was also featured in that masterwork of longform music video, "Trapped in the Closet"

omar is hard as fuck. no ayo. or ayo if you like. but omar don't give a fuck. indeed.

----I'm changing from McNulty.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    from what i recall noticing in the past few months

freamon - in an episode of ER and is in notting hill
    rawls - was head of the psyche unit on ER
    sydnor - ER
    stringer - that new tyler perry movie and THE REAPING with whatsherfacewasadudeinamovie
    michael - was in half nelson (along with donut or whatever kids name is that steals cars) with ryan gosling. also in the new lil flip video
    namond - luda/maryJ video
    avon - this isnt exactly an OH SHIT HES FROM THE WIRE moment, as he's one of the most recognizable castmembers, but i love the fact he was hendrix in the vh1 movie
    bubs - saw him on some law and order show while flipping through channels the other night
    daniels - he's in some straight to video action flick with no shirt on on the cover, i always see it at the video store

and yes, my girl is tired of me going oh damn he's from the wire, every 5 minutes while watching TV

• I've seen Rawls, Burrel, and Daniels the last month alone on either L&O or L&O: SVU. And I just caught Herc in the atrocious Colin Ferrel vehicle SWAT.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I've seen Rawls, Burrel, and Daniels the last month alone on either L&O or L&O: SVU. And I just caught Herc in the atrocious Colin Ferrel vehicle SWAT.

Recent sightings of Wire alumni on UK TV: Carver in "Starship Troopers", Burrell as the landlord in "Coming To America", Stringer Bell in a UK show called "Ultraviolet" (a kind of "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" with vampires) and Bodie in Free's "What We Do" video. Freamon is currently starring in a West End production of "Porgy & Bess" here in London as well.

• Omar's new lover from season 3 also plays the son of Ice T's character from Law & Order SVU. There was also a scene in the WIRE where he and Omar are watching SVU on the television which i thought was funny.

Of course, Herc banged a bunch of hookers as an ex-con from the neighborhood on "Entourage."

• Wire is no longer available as On Demand from my cable company and I think that's US wide.

If HBO keeps their past patterns, Season 4 will not come out on DVD until right before Season 5 comes out, which means you'll probably be waiting a year or more!

Are you serious? I've had all of season 4 for over a month now. It's all about the bittorrents. I'm happy to help those in need. Hit me on the PM. Mac users only please (not cuz I'm some elitist but because I don't know about PC's really that much).

• Of course, Herc banged a bunch of hookers as an ex-con from the neighborhood on "Entourage."

haha, the "Shrek doll"

Of course, Herc banged a bunch of hookers as an ex-con from the neighborhood on "Entourage."

haha, the "Shrek doll"

I honestly thought the show sorta jumped the shark with that shit. It was like red-haired cousin Sam from "Different Strokes" all over again. What made it even worse was Herc's deplorable character on "The Wire." Sure he's sort of a likeable guy, but what did he have to throw Randy under the bus like that? Dude is stupid.

• A friend of mine is a staff writer for The Wire and they just gave him an episode of his own to write for next season.