suggest me a laptop

SyminSymin 999 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
Ive been going to the library to use the computers and its time for me to throw down and pick up one of my own joints. Im trying to get a PC, i cant deal with Macs yet, and it needs to be a laptop. I dont know much about computers at all. I just want something that would be good to record DJ mixes on stuff like that. I hate going into computer stores so i wanto know what to get before i go in there.

Comments

• MAC BOOK all the way.. I have been a PC user for ever and bought my first MAC just before christmas..

Not sure what it is about MAC's that you can't handle, because they have so many advantages over PC, especially in regards to Audio - but just to put your mind at rest, the MAC BOOK also has an intel processor, which means you can also run Windows and all your PC Programs on this machine[/b] - Best of both worlds..

Plus - they are small, look sexy, have enough grunt to do even your most demanding audio work, and are cheap as chips.. Infact, I don't think there is a better laptop at such a good price right now...

plust they are piss easy to set up and get going.. Nothing scary about MACS, and if you are not a regular computer user, this is your machine!!

MAC BOOK!!

• SyminSymin 999 Posts

the MAC BOOK also has an intel processor, which means ou can also run Windows and all your PC Programs on this machine[/b] - Best of both worlds..

Explain this.
    I have never heard of macs being able to run PC programs. Am i totally in the dark about this?

• I have never heard of macs being able to run PC programs. Am i totally in the dark about this?

what it basically is is this:

The people at MAC have started making their MAC computers with Intel Processors - that basically means they are now using the same 'brains' as PC's..

It now allows users of the newer MAC computers to be able to run windows and all PC software..

There are 2 ways to do this.. You need to install another program to make it all happen - a fairly easy procedure...

Most people run a program called BOOT CAMP, which allows you to either select Windows (The PC operating system) or OSX (The MAC operating system) when you start your computer.. Now BOOTCAMP is pretty cool, but it only allows you to run one or the other system - if you want to swap to the other system, you need to restart your computer (not a big deal for most people anyway)

Instead of BOOTCAMP, I use another program called PARALLELS, which allows me to start my computer is OSX, and then open up a separate screen with WINDOWS running inside it - no need to restart my computer..
    So because I have been a PC user all my life, I have a heap of PC software - so now its a case of installing all my PC software inside the WINDOWS screen - real easy stuff

now - Parallels is a fair bit more 'memory hungry' than boot camp - but personally, I am yet to see any major differences with the applications I have been running (Reason / Microwave / Sonar etc) - never had a problem myself..

anyway - so thats how it works. It couldn't be easier nowdays.. just remember, when you buy a MAC, you need to let the store owner know you want one with an INTEL PROCESSOR (which all the new Macs have now anyway)..

• the MAC BOOK also has an intel processor, which means ou can also run Windows and all your PC Programs on this machine[/b] - Best of both worlds..

Explain this.
    I have never heard of macs being able to run PC programs. Am i totally in the dark about this?

With the addition of an Intel CPU, your nolonger bound by just the apple OS.

You can install both Operating Systems as a Dual Boot, Meaning...when you start the machine it will give a choice of Mac OS or Windows.

Cool huh?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    If possible, buy @ costco. If you return w/in six months, you get all your money back.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    I am dumbfounded.
    I guess the answer is clear here.
    Thank you for the info this is amazing. but i have one last question. Do i need to purchase this program or can i download it?

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    Thank you guys for all the information by the way

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

• Do i need to purchase this program or can i download it?

You will need to pay to buy both either BOOTCAMP or PARALLELS (depending on which one you want to use)..

They are both quite cheap, and every Mac store will have them.. Now if you are a little scrupulous you could probably find a cracked version on the net - but I don't suggest doing that at all. It's always nicer to have the right packaging / warranties / registrations etc

also - you will need to buy a version of Windows. I use XP, but i'm sure you can also use the new VISTA with your macbook as well..

despite the extra price add-ons, it will still work out quite reasonable for you..
    I bought the Black macbook myself - it gives you a little extra memory, and a bigger hard drive than the White versions..
    google yourself some prices in your area

• how do you guys feel about this glossy screen? i dunno...seems like there would be all these glare probs.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

how do you guys feel about this glossy screen? i dunno...seems like there would be all these glare probs.
    No complaints from me.
    I just dim it when I view sites with bright backgrounds.

• Just got me one a few weeks ago. Had a Dell for over 5 years and decided to switch to this one. Great machine. Sleek design and fast.

Also bought Microwave and now I'm ready to go...

• What's the deal with running to operating systems though? Is this really effective? Does it cause the machine to run slow? Can it really hanbdle both OS's at once while running software on both? There's got to be some disadvantage to this or why the hell would anybody buy PC's anymore? Can I get a little more light on this subject? If this is truly as legit as you guys make it seem, then even I need to get a mac. I used to rock Apple LE's or whatever back in the later 80s, rocked an IBM with DOS before those ('86). In the early to mid 90s I was going back and forth between Windows 3.1 (i think?) and PowerMac (the first time you could run SoftWindows on a Mac, this was '94 or '95), and then I went to Windows 95, 98, now XP Pro. Haven't been back to Mac since Win95. This new shit sounds like what I've been waiting for my whole life. Please confirm.

• confirming..

This new shit is what you have been waiting for your whole life.

• SyminSymin 999 Posts
    Offtopic: GB Diggs, did you get my PM?

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    There's got to be some disadvantage to this or why the hell would anybody buy PC's anymore?

- Price tag.
    - Still a Mac laptop = You have to deal with mac tech support.
    - Intel Mac platform is unique = driver issues.

Why would anyone buy Pc's anymore? Well for me. Mac only has a few advantages.

- Cute GUI
    - Graphic work, not really anymore.
    - Final Cut Pro, and a couple other mac only software.
    - No viruses supposedly

None of that matters to me, therefore I use a PC. Of course this is a Mac-biased forum so you're gonna hear alot of mac support, but to get back to the original poster. It would be nice if you got a bit more specific about your needs. Like an older laptop with sufficient memory can record mixes if that's all you're looking to do.

Look, I'm a Computer technician.. If it were me I'd buy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Averatec-Laptop-Note...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/AVERATEC-7100-laptop...1QQcmdZViewItem

Sufficient broken laptop, with an easy fix. It'll save a ton of money, and do what you need it to do. I know most people here would disagree with that mentality, but from not having a lot of cash. It's an option

- spidey

• holy crap frenzie your avatar is crazy.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I encourage looking at Lenovos. Between the quality of their tech support and the build of their computers, I think they're great machines. I have no complaints about mine. It's also much more powerful than a similarly priced macbook.

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    lets start a mac vs. pc debate!