ROCKING DOUBLES

awallawall 673 Posts
edited February 2007 in Strut Central
dear club and radio DJs:it is 2007, this shit is pretty much unnecessary now

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

• ROCKING DOUBLES

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    ROCKING DOUBLES

I'm gonna rock a "break" joint where my MC raps to me cuttin' doubles of a breakbeat. Let's take it back to the park after dark.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Seriously, WTF people two threads like this in a week. Some fuckers need to get banned. I mean yes some people should not rock doubles, but cot damn that shit is part of djing. Thats like saying its 2007 mixing is finished. Fuck that. There is a time and a place for rocking doubles.

• Let's take it back to the park after dark.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    yeah but the modern manifestation of this is pretty far from extending precious breakbeat time. i'm talking about dudes doubling every snare hit on the latest jazze pha production or whatever. rewinding choruses and shit. its like okay you are good at djing we get it. i guess i'm mostly talking about radio DJs

doubles have their time and place i suppose. what i hear these days is serious fucking overkill.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    yeah but the modern manifestation of this is pretty far from extending precious breakbeat time. i'm talking about dudes doubling every snare hit on the latest jazze pha production or whatever. rewinding choruses and shit. its like okay you are good at djing we get it. i guess i'm mostly talking about radio DJs

doubles have their time and place i suppose. what i hear these days is serious fucking overkill.

I feel you but you still mad, doggie.

Can mix DJs not live?

• yeah but the modern manifestation of this is pretty far from extending precious breakbeat time. i'm talking about dudes doubling every snare hit on the latest jazze pha production or whatever. rewinding choruses and shit. its like okay you are good at djing we get it. i guess i'm mostly talking about radio DJs

to each his own. i really appreciate hearing djs do this on the radio if they are good. at the club might be the only exception, but even still, if you are good at it, its not gonna disturb the groove. i actually get real disappointed when i tune into a hip hop mixshow and the dj isnt cutting it up.

i was at the adidas store in georgetown this summer and this dude was KILLING it with doubles of all the top 40 sh*t that had been beat to death on the radio. me and my friends (who aren't djs) stayed in the store for like an extra 20 minutes just to hear dude rip it up.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts

Completely disagree, radio, club, mixtape, rockin doubles is like an mc freestylin, if you can't do it, maybe you should reconsider...

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Thats like saying its 2007 mixing is finished. Fuck that.

Oh you haven't heard?? Mixing is finished, son.

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=804714&an=0&page=1#Post804714

- spidey

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    dear club and radio DJs:

it is 2007, this shit is pretty much unnecessary now

Quite the opposite. We need to return to those skills. Ipod/Laptop/etc is cool but Doubles is the FOUNDATION.

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    Can mix DJs not live?

i get the gratuitous check my skilz stutter step. but on the dope edits and reelshiat.

case in point:

[shutthef*kup]yes hes using s.erato[/shutthef*kup]

• to each his own. i really appreciate hearing djs do this on the radio if they are good. at the club might be the only exception, but even still, if you are good at it, its not gonna disturb the groove. i actually get real disappointed when i tune into a hip hop mixshow and the dj isnt cutting it up.

cosign!

Not many people in Sydney are doing doubles at all.. so it is always cool when you see the handfull of people who can do it, tear it up..

I want to see more touring hiphop acts, with their DJ doing doubles for thier MCs, instead of using s.erato to play a 3 minute instrumental[/b] - they may as well have kept using DAT, lazy buggers.

• i shit you not, my son is playing with two copies of love de-luxe right now...

he said "look daddy, you can scratch TWO records"

awesome!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    i'm talking about dudes doubling every snare hit on the latest jazze pha production or whatever.

Hatting on chopped & screwed! (Or at least chopped!) You just dismissed an entire genre, son!

For real, I heartily endorse rocking doubles.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    for some reason screw music does not bother me in the same way. entirely different mindset.

perhaps this is a better question to pose for the sake of discussion: are doubles rocked purely for the sake of impressing other djs?

• dear awall:

dj's rock doubles

it is 2007, and you still don't get it

• i shit you not, my son is playing with two copies of love de-luxe right now...

he said "look daddy, you can scratch TWO records"

awesome!

start em young j.

since when is rockin doubles over? when folls rock triples?

gtfoohwtbs!

• I'm gonna rock a "break" joint where my MC raps to me cuttin' doubles of a breakbeat. Let's take it back to the park after dark.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

http://www.djrelaxproductions.com/Cuttin.mp3

• dear club and radio DJs:

it is 2007, this shit is pretty much unnecessary now

r-rocking doub--

• d-doubles is essential.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    last week my good friend dj swingking one of copenhagens finest had his 30 year birthday party, i had a few of these laying around so i gave him a pair... oldschool double rocking essentials

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    for some reason screw music does not bother me in the same way. entirely different mindset.

perhaps this is a better question to pose for the sake of discussion: are doubles rocked purely for the sake of impressing other djs?

I think the jazzy jeff video anwsered your question. I'd rather see a dj with skills who can scratch and rock doubles on a party vibe than some guy who just plays tracks out. Espeacially now with Microwave, skills are the one thing that sets apart djs from on another.

• There is a time and a place for rocking doubles.

rocking doubles to death is you have to do it tastefully

• I've also never seen someone rock doubles like J-Rocc...dude is

• I've also never seen someone rock doubles like J-Rocc...dude is

biggest evar

• bthavbthav 1,538 Posts
    I've also never seen someone rock doubles like J-Rocc...dude is

biggest evar

• serch4beatzserch4beatz Switzerland 521 Posts
    skratchcon2000 dvd

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

"thats like the basics of it"

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

to each his own. i really appreciate hearing djs do this on the radio if they are good. at the club might be the only exception, but even still, if you are good at it, its not gonna disturb the groove. i actually get real disappointed when i tune into a hip hop mixshow and the dj isnt cutting it up.

cosign!

Not many people in Sydney are doing doubles at all.. so it is always cool when you see the handfull of people who can do it, tear it up..

I want to see more touring hiphop acts, with their DJ doing doubles for thier MCs, instead of using s.erato to play a 3 minute instrumental[/b] - they may as well have kept using DAT, lazy buggers.

I rocked doubles several times in a Sydney pub last night.

The Clare Hotel no less.

I'm keeping it reel for Sydney DJs.