Records in Denver?

SyminSymin 999 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
anybody know about the record situation in Denver? im thinking of making a trip out there from santa fe, but its like 6 or 7 hours drive and im not trying to come home empty handed. please drop the knowledge

Comments

• PM me and I will get you the details. I just don't have time right now. I'll tell you what I know though.

• yes. records in denver

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    yes. records in denver

le planet savage in a basement?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    yes. records in denver

most definitely.
    hands down one of the best (and most fun) days i've had digging in shops in a town. (well i can think of rivals)

not only found great records.
    but crashed in the car on the edge of mountain cliff, woke up to the sunrise, ate breakfast at a nice diner run by New Orleanian transplants in the mountains 40 miles out of town. summertime nostalgia right there.

• what were you doing in the mountains forty miles out of town? comics?

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    what were you doing in the mountains forty miles out of town? comics?

yes indeed- the all-knowing, omni-present, unescapably ubiquitous TONY.
    was reading some spiderman and listening to jazz tunes upstairs.

next day took one of the most breath-taking drives i've ever taken down to santa fe through the mountains. listened to a gospel cassette on repeat all the way down. literally fucked up my voice singing along so loud. the spirit was in me. it was a carefree moment. those don't happen enough.

i don't know what these SW folks are complaining about- you best be reading this Mr. Janda. i think i could sacrifice the record hobby for that sunset any day of the week.

• what were you doing in the mountains forty miles out of town? comics?

yes indeed- the all-knowing, omni-present, unescapably ubiquitous TONY.
    was reading some spiderman and listening to jazz tunes upstairs.

next day took one of the most breath-taking drives i've ever taken down to santa fe through the mountains. listened to a gospel cassette on repeat all the way down. literally fucked up my voice singing along so loud. the spirit was in me. it was a carefree moment. those don't happen enough.

i don't know what these SW folks are complaining about- you best be reading this Mr. Janda. i think i could sacrifice the record hobby for that sunset any day of the week.

i know you know this:
    its a biiiig beautiful country.
    i found my spirituality in the redwoods.(and on black mesa plateau in Oklahoma)
    kinda cliche i guess, but im serious

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

i know you know this:
    its a biiiig beautiful country.
    i found my spirituality in the redwoods.(and on black mesa plateau in Oklahoma)
    kinda cliche i guess, but im serious

no doubt.
    fuck cliche if you are genuine with the statement.
    which you are.

that was a deep trip.
    closing door on a heavy year in my life.
    driven home by my oldest childhood friend passing two days after that sunset.
    such is life.

getting pensive up in this "are there records in __________?" thread
    so to answer the original question:
    yes, records in denver.

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    anybody know about the record situation in Denver? im thinking of making a trip out there from santa fe, but its like 6 or 7 hours drive and im not trying to come home empty handed.
    please drop the knowledge

I'll be in Denver on Wed. (also from Santa Fe). Any stores worth checkin' out would be greatly appreciated.

• soulbrono1soulbrono1 205 Posts
    PM me and I will get you the details. I just don't have time right now. I'll tell you what I know though.

I'm headed to Denver next week. What's good record and food wise? Maybe Mr. Balliando will hit me up in PM and show some love.

Let's get some . Don't worry, I'm not after your Turkish Psych , just your BRAEKS : and some good spicy grub and microbrews.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts
    Black on Red just outside of Denver. Best spot I know there.
    There's more but I honestly haven't spent too much time diggin there.
    A couple shops in Boulder but I don't know if it's worth the trip from Denver unless you want to do other things, like hang out with dirty hippies.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    just drive the speed limit and avoid the police speed traps around the 4th... not fun sitting out in that hot sun (if its on blaze out there) waiting for the police to run your info.

would of liked to hit b&r but we didnt make it that far.. though the drinks, food, and shitty karaoke music out there was enjoyable enough.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    is that spot The Blue Coyote still there outside of town? Jazz LPs for days.........

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    By far the best records I found were at Waxx and Traxx or whatever that place is called. A bit of persistence pays off, with raer ass private jazz, caribbean disco, and a copy of everyone's favorite gospel grail the King James Version. All for a buck or two.

Yeah the cops suck though. And they HATE Mahmoud Abdul Rauf out there.

Hi Justin!

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

Hi Justin!

LOLzers

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    By far the best records I found were at Waxx and Traxx or whatever that place is called. A bit of persistence pays off, with raer ass private jazz, caribbean disco, and a copy of everyone's favorite gospel grail the King James Version. All for a buck or two.

Hi Justin!

yeah that wax and trax store was NICE. thats where you got that mac mall tape! i got some killer modern soul 45s for 50cents a piece and reflipped em all for over a bill each. got a sealed artistic sounds out there as well. nice shop...

oh and that one run by those gay dudes was okay... at least their new arrivals were cool.

that shop with the rap vinyl room was WACK. i sat on that couch for an hour waiting for jon to finish up and was bored... i dont think you got anything even worth mentioning at that shop.

i think we should chance another run out there... minus the pull-over.

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
    . i sat on that couch for an hour waiting for jon to finish up ..

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Challenged - ref, can I get a ruling?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

This call stands. Argue it and you get a technical.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

This call stands. Argue it and you get a technical.

Blame it on the altitude. Everyone always does.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Yeah Wax Trax is still around, some people hate it, some people come up there. I am not into modern soul although I wish I was because I seem to run into a lot of it there, I just don't know much about it. If only I had the knowledge some of you crazy record dealer folk have! I dig jazz mostly. And more common RnB and soul stuff, whatever looks/sounds good, really. I've heard plenty of come-up stories about shops in Denver though.

The place with the rap room was probably Twist and Shout, they actually get a lot of great stuff in there, but it's always new arrivals shit that goes right away. Their stocked sections are generally kinda lame unless yo uhave a ton of time to kill. The new arrivals is where it's at. Teh gay dudes' shop, I am not sure hwta that is. Jerry's maybe? I don't think Jerry is gay, but some of the dudes who work for him seem like they might be. Same with Black & Read, bunch of fuckin' weirdos workin' out in Arvada. Thats' the spot though. Black & Read is the most consistent, it seems. I guess it depends on what you're looking for though. As I said, I look mostly for jazz.

I'm not familiar with a Blue Coyote jazz record shop though, is it in Denver or somewhere else? I don't have a car so I don't usually get out of the city, although I know there are shops scattered throughout the mountain towns, there's one somewhere in Castle Rock, and there's a few up north towards Ft. Collins/Greeley area. Greeley smells like shit though, fuck that place.

soulbrono1 check your PM's.