Obama is pretty much in...

Comments

• Im supporting obama because he's black and I dont care about race at all.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    just want get dy's name off the front page. even though i got him ognored, still makes me wanna puke. good morning everyone.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    yeah get his name off.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

There are a lot of guys who've never been to the country talking like they know how people feel.

I've lived in Texas and he doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell there.

• There are a lot of guys who've never been to the country talking like they know how people feel.

Aren't you the guy that has an irrational hatred of Texas? Who once proclaimed on this board that everything about it sucks and is stupid?

I mean, you surely don't expect me to believe that you know what the hell's going on in Texas, do you?

I'd sooner ask Archaic (seriously).

• I've lived in Texas and he doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell there.

Things are different right now: many conservatives are now hardcore
    24[/b] junkies, and while they probably wish they could elect
    Jack Bauer for president, they have become very much used to the idea
    of a Black President over 5 seasons of the show. I have overheard
    conversations which lead me to believe that there are some people out
    there who think that the show 24[/b] is the same as "the news".
    This is anecdotal, but this is my theory.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

There are a lot of guys who've never been to the country talking like they know how people feel.

Aren't you the guy that has an irrational hatred of Texas? Who once proclaimed on this board that everything about it sucks and is stupid?

I don't think that was just Texas--I think it was the entire south.

That silliness aside, though, I think a majority of the people on this board probably actually did grow up in the type of suburban environments whose residents will determine this election.

• That silliness aside, though, I think a majority of the people on this board probably actually did grow up in the type of suburban environments whose residents will determine this election.

Sure, but wouldn't you agree that they are inventing a Southern hick strawman who will vote down anything left of Hitler?

I get to see a lot of different walks of life in my travels, and a lot of the bellweathers - middle-right suburban families - are looking at Obama. I find way more reluctance in people on this board than I do out in the world.

i just hope we dont have to put up with 2 years of Fathead relentlessly trying to hype Obama.

give it a rest, huh.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Sure, but wouldn't you agree that they are inventing a Southern hick strawman who will vote down anything left of Hitler?

Absolutely, that's the stereotype the left and the media would like to portray.

That silliness aside, though, I think a majority of the people on this board probably actually did grow up in the type of suburban environments whose residents will determine this election.

I get to see a lot of different walks of life in my travels, and a lot of the bellweathers - middle-right suburban families - are looking at Obama. I find way more reluctance in people on this board than I do out in the world.

Probably.

I'm just saying that no matter how virulent the racism of rural southerners (strawmen or not)--there really aren't enough of them to have a determinative effect on an election.

The election won't be decided by them and it won't be decided by those of us in the major coastal cities--it will be decided by people in the suburbs. I can't see Obama taking any of the suburbs I'm most familar with, but, hey that's purely anecodotal--I'm not a fulltime suburban anthropologist or anything.

Regardless, while McCain may be stumbling now, I still think he's going to take the election, so this "most electable" crap isn't even a consideration for me--I hope the Dems nominate the best candidate and run the most honest race possible. And I think Obama is the guy.

• I'm just saying that no matter how virulent the racism of rural southerners (strawmen or not)--there really aren't enough of them to have a determinative effect on an election.

southern democrats is a different story though. political analysts always talk about how the only way a dem gets into the white house is if its a southern dem. clinton was the exception but people equated Arkansas as being in the spirit of a southern state. this came up a lot during kerry's campaign and he chose edwards to fill that slot. anyway, it comes up on political talk shows a lot now with Hillary and Obama being the top candidates.

Skeletor in 2008

Probably.

I'm just saying that no matter how virulent the racism of rural southerners (strawmen or not)--there really aren't enough of them to have a determinative effect on an election.

The election won't be decided by them and it won't be decided by those of us in the major coastal cities--it will be decided by people in the suburbs. I can't see Obama taking any of the suburbs I'm most familar with, but, hey that's purely anecodotal--I'm not a fulltime suburban anthropologist or anything.

Regardless, while McCain may be stumbling now, I still think he's going to take the election, so this "most electable" crap isn't even a consideration for me--I hope the Dems nominate the best candidate and run the most honest race possible. And I think Obama is the guy.

And please, Dems, let's have a real issues-driven campaign--no photo ops of Obama at NASCAR events and such. You can never beat the Republicans at that game.

clinton was the exception but people equated Arkansas as being in the spirit of a southern state.

WTF...are you suggesting Arkansas is NOT a Southern State?????

• the religious right isnt voting for an adulterer.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    B.O.'s ( ) chief politaical strategist is.....

DAVID AXELROD[/b]

clinton was the exception but people equated Arkansas as being in the spirit of a southern state.

Can we get a ruling from Archaic.

the religious right isnt voting for an adulterer.

Didn't Michigan just pass a law that made Adultery a felony with possible life in prison as a punishment???

Please be serious. The religious right loves adulterers.

Especially if they cry when they're exposed.

That said, Rudy is the wrong type of adulterer to appeal to the religous right.

But that's not his real problem.

• clinton was the exception but people equated Arkansas as being in the spirit of a southern state.

Its definitely not viewd as part of the southern states if we are talking about political geography.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    He won in downstate illinois!

He beat Alan Keyes -- another black guy, and a crazy one at that.

Its definitely not viewd as part of the southern states if we are talking about political geography.

There is only one man that can speak on behalf of the entire South, and his name is not keithvanhorn.

B.O.'s ( ) chief politaical strategist is.....

DAVID AXELROD[/b]

They are going to be banging Songs of Innocence Songs of Experience when Obama accepts the nomination.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Probably.

McCain has a lot of serious religious right ass-licking to do for the next 2 years. The best hope the Dems have is a serious, unified campaign behind someone strong and early, vs. a splintered conservative base (old school bottom line capitalist conservatives and libertarians vs. family values religious types).If McCain can capture that religious right he will get the nod and could carry an election, if not, I couldn't say...who's gonna take the weight? Guiliani has the same problems, but right now reigious Repubs HATE McCain.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Please be serious. The religious right loves adulterers.

Especially if they cry when they're exposed.

That said, Rudy is the wrong type of adulterer to appeal to the religous right.

But that's not his real problem.
    McCain also cheated on his ex-wife
    and was involved in a suspicious-looking political scandal
    and has flip-flopped like crazy
    and I might agree with you nonetheless, until this war mess; Bush called his bluff, basically. If Bush had racheted down our involvement in Iraq, then McCain could run on the 'if we had sent more troops....' post-vietnam delusional conservative argument in the face of quagmire, but now that Bush is going all the way (presumably thinking of his own legacy) he's screwing mccain, who's now forced to keep arguing for a surge no matter how unpopular the war is becoming.

I don't even think McCain is physically well enough to make it through a two-year campaign much less a four-year presidency. Dude is getting pretty old for long-ass days and no sleep. He will definitely have a few sleep deprived breakdowns where he says something foolish, and the media will pounce on it like Dean's "yah-hoooooooo."

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    If obama wins texas I'll concede everything I've ever said about texas.

Sure there are 'good' texans out there, and my last trip out there was actually really nice, but facts is facts, obama doesn't stand a chance out there.

IMHO, the best thing he can do is continue his current strategy, which, as far as I can tell is "Look Intelligent". Don't pander to the religious right, nascar dads, soccer moms, etc etc... pandering is for idiots. just look intelligent. I think people are desperate right now for a smart person to be the president.

And the true test for 24 convincing people that a black president is ok, is how many viewers now have Allstate Insurance.

If obama wins texas I'll concede everything I've ever said about texas.

Sure there are 'good' texans out there, and my last trip out there was actually really nice, but facts is facts, obama doesn't stand a chance out there.

IMHO, the best thing he can do is continue his current strategy, which, as far as I can tell is "Look Intelligent". Don't pander to the religious right, nascar dads, soccer moms, etc etc... pandering is for idiots. just look intelligent. I think people are desperate right now for a smart person to be the president.

And the true test for 24 convincing people that a black president is ok, is how many viewers now have Allstate Insurance.

Of course if Texas doesn't vote for him its because they are a bunch of ignorant racist crackers, and not becuase Obama is a half-term junior senator with zero experience.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    i just hope we dont have to put up with 2 years of Fathead relentlessly trying to hype Obama.

give it a rest, huh.

i'm sure you'll be re-BAN by then.