Obama is pretty much in...

FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
edited January 2007 in Strut Central
http://www.barackobama.com/video/"Exploratory"??? ...puleez.Anyways, dude's video is very much on point. He's got my vote.If he runs...

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    http://www.barackobama.com/video/

"Exploratory"??? ...puleez.

Anyways, dude's video is very much on point. He's got my vote.

If he runs...

I still know very little abot what he stands for.

can someone please break down what he's done for IL so far, what legislaion he's tried to push along, etc.?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

I still know very little abot what he stands for.

can someone please break down what he's done for IL so far, what legislaion he's tried to push along, etc.?
    http://obama.senate.gov/about/

You can use google if you want more info, or the other side.

The important thing about Obama is he honestly trys to find middle ground. Like working with law enforcement to create captol crime legislation.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    His first name sounds like Borat.
    His middle name is Hussein.
    His last name sounds like Osama.

Borat Hussein Osama....

good luck getting southern votes with a name like that!

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Borat Hussein Osama....

sadly its true. things like the way your name sounds or how much hair you have on your head matter to voters. Since the advent of television we have never had an elected bald president (Eisenhower wwas thinning but still pretty much had a full head)

oh yeah and he's black too. some dudes may not want a black man as the leader of the free world.

Obama will court the educated central-liberal vote but thats not enough to win the presdency

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Short of a miracle or space aliens entering the race he has my southern vote!

Borat Hussein Osama....

sadly its true. things like the way your name sounds or how much hair you have on your head matter to voters. Since the advent of television we have never had an elected bald president (Eisenhower wwas thinning but still pretty much had a full head)

oh yeah and he's black too. some dudes may not want a black man as the leader of the free world.

Obama will court the educated central-liberal vote but thats not enough to win the presdency

Might be enough if the Rs pick a New England Kennedy lookalike who is Morman.

Who's first name is Mitt, like something you use in the kitchen.

And the last name Romney, which sounds Roman or something.

• if he runs, its cause he is an ego-maniac. dont get me wrong, i like Obama, but like Adrian said to Rocky - "you can't win!!". bottom line is that he should hook up with either Hillary, Gore or Edwards and run for VP. any one of those teams would beat McCain...easily. Obama isn't ready to be prez. he's too young, doesnt have enough experience and people don't know enough about him. gore and even hillary have kinda been there done that. edwards learned from kerry's mistakes and is gonna have a great campaign.

if he runs, its cause he is an ego-maniac. dont get me wrong, i like Obama, but like Adrian said to Rocky - "you can't win!!". bottom line is that he should hook up with either Hillary, Gore or Edwards and run for VP. any one of those teams would beat McCain...easily. Obama isn't ready to be prez. he's too young, doesnt have enough experience and people don't know enough about him. gore and even hillary have kinda been there done that. edwards learned from kerry's mistakes and is gonna have a great campaign.

Rocky won!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    im registering to vote for the first time cos of him

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    line is that he should hook up with either Hillary, Gore or Edwards and run for VP. any one of those teams would beat McCain...easily.

Please be serious.

• line is that he should hook up with either Hillary, Gore or Edwards and run for VP. any one of those teams would beat McCain...easily.

Please be serious.

a month or so ago they ran a poll with all of the probable democratic candidates v. McCain. the results were that pretty much every democrat split with McCain, but Obama had the lowest % points of everyone (i'm not sure if kerry was in the poll). there is no doubt that Obama will bring people to the polls, however, he is also gonna steer people away from the Dem ticket. make him the vp and you got best of both worlds.

• certainly my prediction for next pres.
    peace, stein. . .

if he runs, its cause he is an ego-maniac. bottom line is that he should hook up with either Hillary, Gore or Edwards[/b] and run for VP. any one of those teams would beat McCain...easily. Obama isn't ready to be prez. he's too young, doesnt have enough experience and people don't know enough about him. gore and even hillary have kinda been there done that. edwards learned from kerry's mistakes and is gonna have a great campaign.

Edwards: 1953
    Obama: 1961
    Edwards +8

Edwards: 6 years Senate
    Obama: 4 years Senate (in 2008) 7 years state legislature.
    Obama +5

Obama: Majored in political science and international relations. Harvard Law law review.
    Edwards: Majored in Textile technology and law
    You do the math.

Edwards: Sued people.
    Obama: Ran nonprofit that assisted churches with job training programs. Directed voter registration drive. Worked for civil rights law firm. Taught constitutional law.
    You do the math.

Gore couldn't beat a Bush. Hillary couldn't beat my meat.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    since when does pointing out the most obvious faults of our current adminastation make you a good canidate for president?

I can already see what the next two years is going to be like with this race.

• what was the point of that comparison? they are both young but Edwards has more experience, and btw, before he went into public service he was one of the top lawyers in the country. is that what you meant by "suing people"?

Gore already beat Bush. Hillary has more funding behind her than any other candidate, so obviously there are some people who think she can win.

The Republicans I know are hoping.....no PRAYING, that the Dems run the likes of Gore/Hillary/Edwards.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

a month or so ago they ran a poll

lots changed in a month, sir.

bush's "surge" sunk like a led turd. you're boy mccain's yoked to that shit. it ain't gonna work! duh. and the xtian right has told mccain to hug a nut--even if he makes saintorum his bottom. hillary's a joke. gore? kerry? um, are we THAT stoned? biden and all those other debate club dandy comb-overs are just playing games. edwards confuses me with his boyish hotness. hi.

obama is so on point 99.9% of the time, he'd have to get caught eating fois gras out of adam klein's ass to loose. or is it lose?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    i love how people being lazy = 'he's not qualified yet'

jesus just do a fucking google search, his positions are pretty damn clear. His voting record is public. He was against the war back when Hillary and Kerry were 'for it before they were against it,' he's consistently been one of the most progressive senators out there.

Praise for John Roberts
    In explaining why he voted against Roberts, Obama told the Senate that he was ???sorely tempted??? to vote for him. Why?

* ???There is absolutely no doubt in my mind Judge Roberts is qualified to sit on the highest court in the land,??? Obama said.
    * ???He seems to have the comportment and the temperament that makes for a good judge. He is humble, he is personally decent, and he appears to be respectful of different points of view.???
    * ???He does, in fact, deeply respect the basic precepts that go into deciding 95 percent of the cases that come before the Federal court: adherence to precedence, a certain modesty in reading statutes and constitutional text, a respect for procedural regularity, and an impartiality in presiding over the adversarial system.???

So what???s not to like?
    Obama said he was skeptical of Roberts???s ???deepest values,??? his ???broader perspectives on how the world works??? and his ???empathy.???

According to Obama, the chief justice nominee told him that ???he doesn't like bullies and has always viewed the law as a way of evening out the playing field between the strong and the weak.???

But Obama didn???t believe it.

???He has far more often used his formidable skills on behalf of the strong in opposition to the weak,??? Obama said.Roberts 'dismissive' on race and women's rights
    Obama???s assessment: ???he seemed to have consistently sided with those who were dismissive of efforts to eradicate the remnants of racial discrimination??? and ???seemed dismissive of the concerns that it is harder to make it in this world and in this economy when you are a woman rather than a man.???

Although Obama did not specify what evidence he had for these judgments, he was probably referring to cases such as one in 1990, when as a Justice Department official, Roberts opposed use of racial preferences by the Federal Communications Commission in awarding broadcast licenses, and in 1982, as a Reagan administration lawyer, when he opposed lowering the standard in voting rights cases from needing to prove a racially discriminatory intent to only needing to show a discriminatory effect.

Perhaps because he is the child of a biracial marriage, Obama seems especially concerned about government treatment of racial minorities.
    Story continues below ↓ advertisement

As a member of the Illinois state senate in 1999, he sponsored a bill to require police to compile statistics on the racial identity of all motorists they stop, a response to allegations that police stopped black drivers more frequently than white drivers.

Self government for Hawaiians
    In 2005, Obama, who was born in Hawaii, supported a bill, the Native Hawaiian Government Reorganization Act which would have allowed Native Hawaiians to set up their own governmental body to open government-to-government negotiations with the United States.

The bill limited eligibility to take part in this new government to the direct lineal descendants of ???the aboriginal, indigenous, native people??? who lived in Hawaiian Islands prior to 1893.

Explaining why he backed the bill, Obama said, ???Young Native Hawaiians have had difficulties in terms of unemployment, in terms of being able to integrate into the economy of the islands??? Some of the historical legacies of what has happened in Hawaii continue to burden the Native Hawaiians for many years into the future.???

The new governing body would ???make sure that the Native Hawaiians??? are full members and not left behind as Hawaii continues to progress.???
    In 2001 he voted against a bill in the Illinois legislature that would have allowed the death penalty to be imposed if a gang member committed murder "in furtherance of the activities of a gang.???

Obama said it would treat black and Latino people unfairly, and that lawmakers were over-reacting to one incident in which gang members murdered a man in Chicago.

???It's problematic for us to continually pass criminal laws based on anecdote. When we have a single situation when a prosecutor doesn't get what he wants, we come down here and pass a law, which is why we have a criminal code rife with contradictions," the Associated Press quoted Obama as saying.

oh and remember when dean cold cocked every beltway nutsack in the early '03 primes? they had to double step the DNC and every media "connecttion" to sink that screaming bastard. they did, but he took the DNC back in a coup and now he took the Congress. Dean is gangsta. so any person who's outside the Family is looking good.

which is a VERY VERY GOOD thing. imo.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    line is that he should hook up with either Hillary, Gore or Edwards and run for VP. any one of those teams would beat McCain...easily.

Please be serious.

a month or so ago they ran a poll with all of the probable democratic candidates v. McCain. the results were that pretty much every democrat split with McCain, but Obama had the lowest % points of everyone (i'm not sure if kerry was in the poll). there is no doubt that Obama will bring people to the polls, however, he is also gonna steer people away from the Dem ticket. make him the vp and you got best of both worlds.

No way is Hillary polling even with McCain amonst the general electorate--any sample that produces that result is fatally skewed. She's probably polling even with McCain amongst Democrats.

If you think that a Hillary/Obama ticket will "easily" beat McCain, you're nuts.

Unfortunately, I don't think this election is winnable--which is all the more reason for nominating the best candidate over the most "electable" one.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

Please be serious.

No way is Hillary polling even with McCain amonst the general electorate--any sample that produces that result is fatally skewed. She's probably polling even with McCain amongst Democrats.

If you think that a Hillary/Obama ticket will "easily" beat McCain, you're nuts.

Unfortunately, I don't think this election is winnable--which is all the more reason for nominating the best candidate over the most "electable" one.
    you have more faith in mccain than the republican party does

what was the point of that comparison? they are both young but Edwards has more experience, and btw, before he went into public service he was one of the top lawyers in the country. is that what you meant by "suing people"?

Gore already beat Bush. Hillary has more funding behind her than any other candidate, so obviously there are some people who think she can win.

Apperently I am a very poor communicator. For this I apoligize. Seems every thread I am people misunderhear me.

The purpose of the comparison, as I hope some people understood, was to show the mistake in your reasoning. You said that Obama was to young and inexperienced. Then you mentioned Edwards as a better choice.

I must have done something wrong with the comparison. I thought it would show that Obama was more experienced.

By top lawyers in the country do you mean that winning multimillion dollar personal injury lawsuits is better than civil rights law and teaching constitutional law?

jesus, i'm drunk. where's my peterdederdaba?

seriously, d-trane. don't you think mccain has fucked himself getting stuck to this surge bullschitt? i had him as a shoe-in around September 06

• i love how people being lazy = 'he's not qualified yet'

jesus just do a fucking google search, his positions are pretty damn clear. His voting record is public. He was against the war back when Hillary and Kerry were 'for it before they were against it,' he's consistently been one of the most progressive senators out there.

your calling other people lazy yet your support for his qualifications comes from a google search on a few issues. "he's consistently one of the most progressive senators out there." what do you mean by progressive? does that mean a slightly leftist democrat. keep in mind:

- he's not asking for a total troop withdrawel and never has.
    - he supported the bill that put a fence up on the mexican border.
    - he didnt support Feingold's call to ask that Bush be censured for the wiretapping.
    - he voted for the class action reform bill
    - and worst of all, he supported Joe Lieberman in the primary against Lemont.

i like Obama too, but he's far from the "most progressive senator" out there. in fact, he fits more in the middle. he's still a solid candidate though, i just think for the Dems to win it would make sense to have him as the #2.

• No way is Hillary polling even with McCain amonst the general electorate--any sample that produces that result is fatally skewed. She's probably polling even with McCain amongst Democrats.

you dont live in reality. why wouldnt the eleciton be winnable? bush is under 30% approval and mccain has more skeletons in his closet than michael jackson. in fact, mccain might not even be the gop candidate. he shot himself in the foot by being the biggest proponent of sending in more troops. its called "the mccain plan".

also, i'm referring to a poll that i saw on cnn/msnbc. what are you basing your opinion on?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

obama is so on point 99.9% of the time, he'd have to get caught eating fois gras out of adam klein's ass to loose. or is it lose?

I got the cell phone pics on deck.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    - he's not asking for a total troop withdrawel and never has.
    i am confused as to how a 'total troop withdrawel' = progressive, at least if you mean in relation to what he has proposed, a phased troop withdrawl. An immediate withdrawl isn't progressive, its stupid. Go into iraq, fuck shit up, run away? none of the options are great dont get me wrong - but just disappearing is utterly foolish.

and, one of the most progressive =/ the most progressive. Yeah there are dudes like Durbin out there fighting from the far left and I'm not for a minute claiming that Obama isn't a politician. But you're fooling yourself if you think he's in the Clinton mold, a centrist democrat or something.

Uh for example here's something I found with a 'lazy' google search:

The liberal lobbying group Americans for Democratic Action gives Obama a 100 percent voting rating - 5 points to the left of Sen. Ted Kennedy, who gets a 95 percent grade.

Whats lazy is following the generic contrarian line marched out by repubs about his 'lack of experience,' on some total fucking amnesia bullshit considering their stances on GWB not 6 years ago

Obama backed a withdrawal of troops from Iraq, supported international funding for groups that provide abortion, and opposed reauthorization of the Patriot Act.

And a Congressional Quarterly review found Obama has a near-perfect partisan voting record, casting his lot with the Democratic Party line 97 percent of the time.

• I must have done something wrong with the comparison. I thought it would show that Obama was more experienced.

By top lawyers in the country do you mean that winning multimillion dollar personal injury lawsuits is better than civil rights law and teaching constitutional law?

edwards is older, was a senator for longer and ran for vice president. yes, being the top in your field means more than being a scholar. didnt your father ever tell you that those who can do and those who can't teach? i keed. in all seriousness, yes. Ross Perot ran on being a success...period. It matters.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    serious question. do you guys think that the majority of votes cast for president are based on qualificiations for the job?

image is everything, and no matter how you spin it. Obama is still a black man with a funny name who has been portrayed as a young whippersnapper that doesn't have experience.

his accomplishments don't mean shit unless he gets himself a good PR team