FUTURE WAXPOETICS WHAT WOULD YOU WANT TO C

Comments

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    [color:red]

I would like to see a regular column by james[/b] where he can
    write whatever he wants, all things ultimately being record-relatted.

[/color]

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I think a lot of these ideas would work really well. Big co-sign on the Mayfield thing, Euro rare and Japanese rare reports.

I'd like to see a Library issue. They could look at a varietyof French, UK, Italian and library records, and major producers, such as Mansfield or Hawkshaw on the KPM label. I think this would be awesome.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    more Bob James, John Klemmer, Herbie Mann and CTI articles

I remember when they did the CTI cover-art feature, one dude on here was actually whining that the photo spread wasn't extensive enough.

more Bob James, John Klemmer, Herbie Mann and CTI articles

I remember when they did the CTI cover-art feature, one dude on here was actually whining that the photo spread wasn't extensive enough.

Did you direct him to attend any record shop in American for more thorough coverage?

• How about a feature on the great record stores of the world. Different shop featured each month. Start with Disco 7 in Sao Paulo.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    [color:red]

I would like to see a regular column by james[/b] where he can
    write whatever he wants, all things ultimately being record-relatted.

[/color]

• id be interested in a report back from that hundred mile long flea market in tennessee.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Where did JDilla's record collection go?
    Cal Tjader?
    Pictoral and interview of road tours of Cymnade?
    this is hard.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Huey Meaux

Major

• history of miami bass.

or did this already happen? Im missing a couple issues

I know Grand Royal did a great article on that years ago as well.

• Basil Kirchin
    Peter Thomas
    "New Music" and avant 20th century classical like Verese.
    Sonny Simmons & Barbara Tucker
    Sonny & Linda Sharrock
    Ted Curson (Dolphy's trumpet player for a time)
    patrick adams
    Gary Davis/Chocolate Star

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    dave grusin
    lamont dozier
    willie hutch
    terry callier
    charles stepney

and a major on the curtis idea.

What I wanna know is, now that I've sold vol 1 and 2, where is the rumoured re-issue of those volumes or a best of or something they were gonna put out.

::realheadzarewaiting::

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i think i saw some shit on their website selling copies for like 30 bucks or something ridiculous like that
    http://waxpoetics.com/storefront/index.php?cPath=22

• What I wanna know is, now that I've sold vol 1 and 2, where is the rumoured re-issue of those volumes or a best of or something they were gonna put out.

what did you get for those ? a bill a piece?

What I wanna know is, now that I've sold vol 1 and 2, where is the rumoured re-issue of those volumes or a best of or something they were gonna put out.

what did you get for those ? a bill a piece?
    The fuck did you know? Yeah, I wouldn't have let them go for less than that 'cause I like them. But when I heard that they were gonna get released again I thought, why not cash in. It's not like I need an original copy of a bloody magazine!

• Huey Meaux

Major

Also, I'd like to see a feature on the Sugarhill Records empire - not just the Wood, Brass & Steel house band, but an overview of all of the labels (Stang, Turbo, All Platinum, A-1, Maple). An article on Lee Moses/Johnny Brantley would dovetail nicely.

And of course a column by james[/b].

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    history of miami bass.

They did a whole issue about it, I believe.

• Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

HELL yes...

• history of miami bass.

They did a whole issue about it, I believe.

most likely...
    My girlfriend got a tatoo last year that lasted over 4 hours...fortunatly the parlor had a ton a of old magazines including 3 or 4 issues of Grand Royal. that shit saved my ass.

• id be interested in a report back from that hundred mile long flea market in tennessee.

• bozakbozak 334 Posts
    yeah ive got that joint. That was the shit foreals.

that was in the same issue as the mullet article. lee perry on the cover in a mets batters helmet. and I believe the biz record doing benni and the jets was included.

• What's crazy is that there's yet to be a good book-length biography of Mayfield.

That's true for a lot of giants of soul music, though... almost all of them, actually.

I hear you but Mayfield seems especially glaring (his omission, I mean).

Where's the "Rockist" graemlin?

You denying Curtis his due?

I agree with Faux's point: there's a LOT of books that need to be written.

I think he meant that there hasn't been a Curtis bio because of the prevailing rockist agenda of publishers/music critics. It still blows my mind that there has been so little documentation of the history of soul music. And much of what has been published is so tepid. There have probably been more books written about the Beatles than all of the soul-related books combined.

• DigginDiggin 319 Posts
    How about a feature on the great record stores of the world. Different shop featured each month. Start with Disco 7 in Sao Paulo.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    i would definately like to see what the great legendary djs and producers oldschool and newschool have in their crates, what off beat raers or personal grails have they scooped up over the years, what are they the proud owners of ect.....im sure we'd all like to poke our noses into mr Biz's collection,....heads like: Bambaata, Flash, DST, Jazzy JAy, Pete Rock, Premier, Prince Paul, BEATNUTS ect ect ect!!!

also some features on the Euro progressive scene of the late 60 early 70s, Germany France England Italy Scandinavia
    and what about a piece on Turkish stuff like Baris Manco...
    in general more bout crate diggin and fleamarket patrolling!!
    psych raers of the world
    the more cover pics the better!!!!!!

• a NORTHERN SOUL issue

• you guys are aware of these right

Curtis Mayfield: People Never Give Up by Peter Burns

Higher ground : Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin, Curtis Mayfield, and the Rise and Fall of American Soul by Craig Werner.

The Burns is really not so hot. The Werner is better, doesn't focus exclusively on Curtis but it is still pretty interesting, i would say it's decent if i remember correctly.
    SO neither is ideal but they're better than nothing and maybe can hold you over until someone does a real kick-ass one

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

This is the most boring book i own.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts

Huey Meaux

Major

the full pictorial history.