In Defense of Wayne

noznoz 3,625 Posts
edited November 2006 in Strut Central
meant to post this in the other thread... but here are a few lil wayne cuts from this year that clearly show him transcending his jay inspired period, and also bringing back some of that classic no cadence. he's one of a few rappers who are really experimenting with rhythm these days.
'maneater remix' w/ nelly furtado
'crazy' (young money - lilweezyiana) - vocals are mixed real low on this for some reason but you get the idea.
'new orleans classic' w/ currency (bayou blast)
'welcome to the jungle' w/ juelz (dedication 2)
'army guns' (like father like son)

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    shit, you just needed to post the maneater remix. i dont see how anyone could front on that shit

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    Best rapper alive.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    also see his verse on suck it or not

• also see his verse on suck it or not

Unremarkable

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    up for the haters and sleepers. i'm not trying to preach to the converted. where's phill_most at?

(i suppose this debunks phonics' theory that any thread about the clipse or wayne would get the collective soulstrut dick hard like the racist kramer jump off)

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    None of those sound file links work, not that I wanted to listen anyway...

• up for the haters and sleepers. i'm not trying to preach to the converted. where's phill_most at?

Here I is!

Now, I'm listening to the one, I guess it's called "Crazy" or "young money vol. 1 - lilweezyana" or whatever... okay, this is definitely not some imitation Hov schitt. Although lyrically it's nothing astounding, I'm diggin' the schitt outta ya boy's style on this! Pretty much sounds like "real schitt" to me.
    My question is- do you (and the other Weezy and / or southern rap riders) really like the way he's rhyming on this particular track??? Because it sounds WAY closer to some backpacker rapper flows than it sounds like your typical southerner rap style. "'Plex 'phors" and everything! I mean, you might as well just listen to backpack rap if you think this is great.
    Please feel free to enlighten me more about this since I really know nothing about rap music.

• he killed jigga on the show me what you got beat for sure

• he killed jigga on the show me what you got beat for sure

I agree. He brought more life to that track than j did IMO.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    None of those sound file links work, not that I wanted to listen anyway...

then how did you know they don't work? were you like "I don't want to hear this... but I better check, just in case..... *click*.... oh thank god!"

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    i do listen to backpack rap.

• i do listen to backpack rap.

i thought maybe you did... y'all southern rap dudes really keep me confused.

and for the record I am most definitely NOT a southern rap hater. i make a concerted effort to listen to and try to find something in southern rap (and any other kind of music, for that matter) that I can f**k with. i WANT to like it, but i'm not gonna lie and say I dig it just so i can go along with what's in vogue at the moment. i do like some of it and respect some of the artists- i'm just not feelin' most of what i hear. sorry.
    i'm not a hater at all, what i am is old. and bitter. and
    i like being those things

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    and for the record I am most definitely NOT a southern rap hater.

yeah i know that hommie, i actually respect your willingness to check this schitt out. it's why i made the post. i wouldn't have wasted my time with the actual hateurs.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    and for the record I am most definitely NOT a southern rap hater.

yeah i know that hommie, i actually respect your willingness to check this schitt out. it's why i made the post. i wouldn't have wasted my time with the actual hateurs.

We all know that Phill likes the music--what's annoying is his unwillingness to admit that the fact that he likes it might, in fact, indicate that it is as "real" as other forms of rap.

• and for the record I am most definitely NOT a southern rap hater.

We all know that Phill likes the music--what's annoying is his unwillingness to admit that the fact that he likes it might, in fact, indicate that it is as "real" as other forms of rap.

I think what Phill is trying to say is, "he's alright, but he's not real."

• and for the record I am most definitely NOT a southern rap hater.

I have never said that southern rap is fake. It is very real... real southern rap. That's all that it needs to be.

It's just not THAT REAL SCHITT. You know cotdamn well what I'm talking about, so kill that noise.