open letter to Andre Torres

Comments

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I disagree completely; the Q&A's are what makes the magazine worthwhile. I don't need Oliver, Egon or anybody else to tell me what makes a given album great; I can figure out what I think of the album for myself, and would much rather hear some of the people responsible for it speak on it in their own words. The older I get, the less interested I am in any kind of music writing other than first person stuff from artists.

This is what I have always said- shouldn't readers be interested in what the artist has to say as opposed to how good the writer can write an article? Just give me the meat and potatoes in Q-n-A format, mane. Yes, it does make it a whole lot easier for a lazy and / or unskilled writer, but who gives a shizz? I want to read about what's on the artist's mind in his own words. I could give a flying 747 what the writer's take on it is (especially since a lot of these writers don't even know what the fluck they're writing about anyway).

BTW I'm not really talking about Wax Po here... more like hip hop music journalism in general.

• Salary_DizSalary_Diz 735 Posts
    But the finished product should be a narrative from the writer's perspective. I am sympathetic that the old jazz dudes who get pub in wax poetics deserve past due appreciation, but their contributions are better honored by well crafted essays, not an unfiltered interview.

I kinda just dont care what a writer has to say. I care about what a musician has to say. I just don't care about a "well crafted essay" either.

I like to hear shit from an artist in his own words. I've always felt this way though, not just with wax poetics, but with any magazine or interview. I'm always like "jesus, shut up and get back to the interview!"

differnt strokes for differnt folks i guess.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    But the finished product should be a narrative from the writer's perspective. I am sympathetic that the old jazz dudes who get pub in wax poetics deserve past due appreciation, but their contributions are better honored by well crafted essays, not an unfiltered interview.

I kinda just dont care what a writer has to say. I care about what a musician has to say. I just don't care about a "well crafted essay" either.

I like to hear shit from an artist in his own words. I've always felt this way though, not just with wax poetics, but with any magazine or interview. I'm always like "jesus, shut up and get back to the interview!"

differnt strokes for differnt folks i guess.

Also, no offense here, but ain't too many people writing for Wax Poetics that are capable of turning out a "well crafted essay"; most of those dudes write like they're stuck somewhere in freshman year of college.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

Out of curiosity, what did you think of Egon's Q&A with Madlib and MF Doom-cum (pause)-extended Madvilliany advertisement? I dig Wax Poetics, but I think they went out of bounds with that one.

i havent bought a single issue since that foolishness... im not paying $12 for glorified add peace.

HOLY MOSES H CHRIST! dudes, a magazine cost $12? alright, there better be some naked girlies up in that shit or you guys are the biggest bunch of dorks for paying that much for a magazine ABOUT RECORDS!!! FOOLS!!!

Out of curiosity, what did you think of Egon's Q&A with Madlib and MF Doom-cum (pause)-extended Madvilliany advertisement? I dig Wax Poetics, but I think they went out of bounds with that one.

i havent bought a single issue since that foolishness... im not paying $12 for glorified add peace.

HOLY MOSES H CHRIST! dudes, a magazine cost $12? alright, there better be some naked girlies up in that shit or you guys are the biggest bunch of dorks for paying that much for a magazine ABOUT RECORDS!!! FOOLS!!!

I think it's more like $7.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Just give me the meat and potatoes in Q-n-A format, mane. Yes, it does make it a whole lot easier for a lazy and / or unskilled writer, but who gives a shizz? I want to read about what's on the artist's mind in his own words.

I agree with this when it comes to the typical "let's talk to Artist X about his/her work" article. I'm a big fan of the Q&A format for the straight-up interview article because it's the most clear, concise, and and direct. The artists are the focus, so let them be the focus.

However--and this may be colored by my own experiences as a music writer--I do feel there is a place for the more traditional essay-style article. If you're trying to talk about something bigger than just artists and their output, tell a broader story, or connect an artist (or several artists) to a larger point. These things can't be communicated as effectively through simple Q&A. Think of the Paul C article--would it have been just as good if all Dave did was print transcripts of his various interviews? I don't think so. While the interview transcripts would undoubtedly be interesting, Dave needed to pull everything together himself.

Just give me the meat and potatoes in Q-n-A format, mane. Yes, it does make it a whole lot easier for a lazy and / or unskilled writer, but who gives a shizz? I want to read about what's on the artist's mind in his own words.

I agree with this when it comes to the typical "let's talk to Artist X about his/her work" article. I'm a big fan of the Q&A format for the straight-up interview article because it's the most clear, concise, and and direct. The artists are the focus, so let them be the focus.

However--and this may be colored by my own experiences as a music writer--I do feel there is a place for the more traditional essay-style article. If you're trying to talk about something bigger than just artists and their output, tell a broader story, or connect an artist (or several artists) to a larger point. These things can't be communicated as effectively through simple Q&A. Think of the Paul C article--would it have been just as good if all Dave did was print transcripts of his various interviews? I don't think so. While the interview transcripts would undoubtedly be interesting, Dave needed to pull everything together himself.

Dave's an extraordinarily good writer, though; most of the people writing for WP are just not capable of doing what he does.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Dave's an extraordinarily good writer, though; most of the people writing for WP are just not capable of doing what he does.

Agreed.

ok then. HOLY MOSES H CHRIST! dudes, a magazine cost $7? alright, there better be some naked girlies or some coupons up in that shit or you guys are the biggest bunch of dorks for paying that much for a magazine ABOUT RECORDS!!! FOOLS!!!

ok then. HOLY MOSES H CHRIST! dudes, a magazine cost $7? alright, there better be some naked girlies or some coupons up in that shit or you guys are the biggest bunch of dorks for paying that much for a magazine ABOUT RECORDS!!! FOOLS!!!

You know people are unloading the early OOP RAER issues on the Bay for $100+?

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I think there's enough interesting information in WaxPo to make it worth slogging through the good, the bad, and the ugly each quarter when it comes out. Style issues aside, it's one of the few magazines that covers the records I'm into in depth. My biggest pet peeve is footnotes[/b]. Footnotes are fine for citing sources but if you have additional information you want to include, either place it in the body of the writing or leave it out, don't make me flip to the end of the article to read some blurb. It really makes the magazine seem pseudo-academic to have random footnotes/endnotes sprinkled through the article.

My biggest pet peeve is footnotes[/b].

They've sort of chilled with that, though.

That and the gratuitous use of "Fig." used to annoy the hell out of me.

I think the magazine is much better for having backed off its early academic pretensions; it used to be like, "Uh, gang, footnotes and obfuscation are not what renders writing academic."

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I think there's enough interesting information in WaxPo to make it worth slogging through the good, the bad, and the ugly each quarter when it comes out. Style issues aside, it's one of the few magazines that covers the records I'm into in depth. My biggest pet peeve is footnotes[/b]. Footnotes are fine for citing sources but if you have additional information you want to include, either place it in the body of the writing or leave it out, don't make me flip to the end of the article to read some blurb. It really makes the magazine seem pseudo-academic to have random footnotes/endnotes sprinkled through the article.

I think they want the magazine to be psuedo-academic (sorry if I'm reading that wrong, Andre).

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Haven't copped since the 1st one - I've flipped through subsequent issues.

Their writing is sterile, not academic - for 10 bucks canadaian they can keep it.

You know people are unloading the early OOP RAER issues on the Bay for $100+?

ha ha!! rich dorks

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    au??thor??i??tar??i??an Audio pronunciation of "authoritarian" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (-th??r-t??r-n, -thr-, ??-th??r-, ??-thr-)
    adj.

1. Characterized by or favoring absolute obedience to authority, as against individual freedom: an authoritarian regime.
    2. Of, relating to, or expecting unquestioning obedience. See Synonyms at dictatorial.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Shig is right. There does need to be boobies in there, just because. specifically female boobies.

I retract my statement about not wanting to read a well crafted essay. I like reading a good article, but when it comes to interviews, I just want to read the interview. If you are going to write extra stuff, then maybe a little something about the times, and maybe a quick background, a bio of the artist, but after that go straight to the interview.

And really, Wax Po is about the artists of yesteryear (or at least the parts I read).

Other articles that I find frustrating are say, a list of 10 raer disco records and a description of them. Because 1) descriptions of what music sounds like usually fall flat, because it cant usually be described in words, or 2) If it is a good description then I want to hear it, because its music, but I can't, so why the fuck do I want to read about music that I'll never hear?!? Put some MP3s on the site or throw in a free CD with that little mag. Then I would buy that shit for sure. I understand there might be some copyright issues with that, but damn, at least a clip or something.

I dont want to read about somebody's digging road trips, unless its somebody from here that I at least semi - know. I don't really have any vested interest in reading about Shadow going across country buying records that should belong to me because I rule.

Get some decent cover scans. I realize some shit is uber raer, but I've seem common shit scans that look like they found the worst possible conditioned record and then took a pic. WHY?? I mean on some dollar bin shit!!! DUDE! Stark? ok, fine. Donny Hathaway? Just get a clean copy!

My FAVORITE part of wax po (and I really mean this) is reading articles by strutters, or about strutters, or in my favorite case, an article by a strutter about a strutter (ala guzzo and AP). I love it. Its cool to see your friends in print.

OK, I got to go eat dinner.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Get some decent cover scans. I realize some shit is uber raer, but I've seem common shit scans that look like they found the worst possible conditioned record and then took a pic. WHY?? I mean on some dollar bin shit!!! DUDE! Stark? ok, fine. Donny Hathaway? Just get a clean copy!

yeah, you'd think a magazine that obviously puts such stock in aesthetics would apply a similar standard to the label scans section. my pet peeve is when the author gets his whole collection autographed by the artist and we have to look at "dear david... thanks for the interview" scrawled all over the would be stunning sleeve layout. i know you love john klemmer, but either scan your records *before* meeting the guy or find someone else who has those records. and seriously don't get dude to sign every record he's played on. you're getting into star trek convention territory with that shit.

otherwise it's a good magazine... for me to sell on ebay .

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    Seeing as I am closely associated with the magazine that this thread is about, let me just say this...
    I respect everybody's opinion on the subject, but I must take a small issue with the bitching and moaning about content (or style or approach or whatever you decide to nitpick). Until somebody else steps up to the plate and pools their resources (and money!) and creates a professional publication dealing with the same subjects (read: SOULSTRUT GRIST) in a semi-literate way, you'll just have to live with this shit.

Just saying, offer up an alternative if you're getting all Dutch Oven over this.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts

I dont want to read about somebody's digging road trips, unless its somebody from here that I at least semi - know. I don't really have any vested interest in reading about Shadow going across country buying records that should belong to me because I rule.

That was a B+ photo essay if I recall correctly - I quite liked it myself, not becasue of Josh, but rather Brain's capturing of things they saw/passed. Photo's never get much love but in general wax po secures some great archival shots of artists they feature, i.e Issac Hayes.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    Seeing as I am closely associated with the magazine that this thread is about, let me just say this...
    I respect everybody's opinion on the subject, but I must take a small issue with the bitching and moaning about content (or style or approach or whatever you decide to nitpick). Until somebody else steps up to the plate and pools their resources (and money!) and creates a professional publication dealing with the same subjects (read: SOULSTRUT GRIST) in a semi-literate way, you'll just have to live with this shit.

Just saying, offer up an alternative if you're getting all Dutch Oven over this.

God, I feel terrible and take it all back.
    Basically, I think most of us, no matter how we bitch, are fans of Wax Poetics and as fans would like to see the mag really succeed. Or, I'm speaking mostly for myself. Aw fuck it.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

As a (sort of) critic yourself, I would not expect this, the all too common knee jerk show and prove response to constructive criticism that plagues entertainment journalism.

if i bought a toaster that burnt my bread and complained about it, i would be fuckin pissed if delongi wrote back on some "i don't see YOU trying to make toasters"

• BigNachoBigNacho 47 Posts

if i bought a toaster that burnt my bread and complained about it, i would be fuckin pissed if delongi wrote back on some "i don't see YOU trying to make toasters"

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Except you do make toasters in some capacity, just not for Delonghi, so to speak--to continue the analogy.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Until somebody else steps up to the plate and pools their resources (and money!) and creates a professional publication dealing with the same subjects (read: SOULSTRUT GRIST) in a semi-literate way, you'll just have to live with this shit.

cosign

as the chinese saying goes:
    "if you really wanna fuck someone up, have them start a newspaper or magazine"

putting out a quality magazine is tough work. anyone bitching should try starting their own and keep things "fresh" and competitive

saying

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    This is what I have always said- shouldn't readers be interested in what the artist has to say as opposed to how good the writer can write an article? Just give me the meat and potatoes in Q-n-A format, mane. Yes, it does make it a whole lot easier for a lazy and / or unskilled writer, but who gives a shizz? I want to read about what's on the artist's mind in his own words. I could give a flying 747 what the writer's take on it is (especially since a lot of these writers don't even know what the fluck they're writing about anyway).

BTW I'm not really talking about Wax Po here... more like hip hop music journalism in general.

I agree with you, and that should be music journalism period. I know when I write, I want to get a point across when I'm doing an album review, merely pushing my opinion on people. But if I'm interviewing someone, my role is to hopefully come up with good questions, so that readers will want to know more about them, or hear more of their music. If I come up with good questions that pushes the artist to say a few good things, that was my intention. But the main focus will always be on the artist and what they do, I'm still very much a fan who wants to know these things as well.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I would like to see more Gonzo journalism.

"The Dirtiest Dig In Rockford, or, The Ins-and-Outs of Hidden Suburban Crackdens"

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

get wit da program, it is pa-ti-na.

btw, I buy WaxPo every month off the rack. All in all, I enjoy reading it.

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts

As a (sort of) critic yourself, I would not expect this, the all too common knee jerk show and prove response to constructive criticism that plagues entertainment journalism.

BIG HUGE COSIGN!

Oh come on D*&^%. WP goes for a niche market that is well rep'd on this forum. Bitches outta be thanking us. Usually gotta pay$ for these kinda focus groups.

btw

when did become OK to do it half-assed just because (at least) somebody is doin it?

or

why is it OK to shield yourself from criticism with "it's hard work"?

not good work ethics IMO

• Salary_DizSalary_Diz 735 Posts
    Yeah the old photos are the best.

All in all I can't really complain about the magazine. There are parts of that magazine that I think are dull as shit that other people on here just love. You can't plaese everybody.

But seriously, a couple of boobies never hurt anybody. Come on.... plaese?