O.J.: "If I Did It, Here' s How it Happened"

Comments

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

Ed, you are quite clearly snacking on white popcorn right now, like it's just some sort of snack to you.

You better add some to balance that shit out.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I like this thread

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Ed, you are quite clearly snacking on white popcorn right now, like it's just some sort of snack to you.

You better add some to balance that shit out.

rainbow coalition folls!

I don't like the yellow ones though

• Eh, so I embarrassed myself.

Tomorrow's another day to do it again.

• Rey's comment that if I don't ride for O.J., that I am not down with black social justice.

I'm sorry ...Can you point out the line about black social justice ? I don't have my glasses on

I'm of the opinion that you can tell a lot about a person by how they reacted to the O.J. verdict: If they didn't do a Tiger Woods-style fist pump when they heard "not guilty" then they aren't really down for the cause.[/b]

Maybe I misread that. What does it mean to you?
    Oooooooo, maybe I meant "Black POWER" (you down with that?); or maybe I meant "the goal of TRUE equality, even (or especially) in the ability to be unjust!"

I left it open for interpretation intentionally, but let me think about exactly what it is that I meant (and it wasn't "black social justice")...

• Check out the reaction at Howard University (at 4:48):

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,895 Posts
    Consensus of opinion at the time over here was that if he was found guilty, there would be The L.A. Riots II.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Check out the reaction at Howard University (at 4:48):

There was a really good episode of frontline about this. How clearly split down racial lines peoples reactions were.

One of the themes of the show was that people were cheering for johnny cochran being a brilliant black man beating the system at its own game and not so much about o.j. being aquitted.

It also showed how they made his face look so much blacker on the cover of time with his mugshot.

O.J. is definitely cryptonite to white folks though. But the whole social implications around that trial are totally facinating.

I was pretty much too young to have an unbiased opinion on the trial. All i can remember is my "Dont SQUEEZE THE JUICE" t shirt and the slow speed chase.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    I love how it took more than 100 days for a jury to examine this highly complex case in court, but everyone who watch a story on TV or read an article about it has an opinion.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I love how it took more than 100 days for a jury to examine this highly complex case in court, but everyone who watch a story on TV or read an article about it has an opinion.

Uh...what?

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

Uh...what?

I think he's saying that a lot of people made their uninformed personal "guilty/not guilty" judgements based on biased and sensationalized media reports.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

Uh...what?

I think he's saying that a lot of people made their uninformed personal "guilty/not guilty" judgements based on biased and sensationalized media reports.

Most of the angles were explored, ad naseum, for several hours everyday, for years, not to mention the fact that the trial was shown live on Court TV.

Question for the not-guilty camp: If O.J. didn't do it, who did? I am not familiar with any of the alternate theories out there, and come from the school that the most obvious answer is usually the correct one. Like JonBennet parents probably killed their girl.

• Question for the not-guilty camp: If O.J. didn't do it, who did?

i think this is exactly why people assume he is guilty. oj had a motive to kill them and it is unusual for 2 people in Brentwood to randomly get brutally murdered. this issue is also (in my opinion) what makes white people who confidentally proclaim oj as guilty look kinda .

if this were joe montana would they give him the benefit of the doubt? obviously the whole bronco situation didn't help oj's case in the court of public opinion, but i don't disagree with blacks who applauded at oj's not guilty verdict without regard to whether he was truly innocent.

however, with this whole "this is how i would have done it" book, you have to wonder how oj's kids are feeling. he has at least one child from Nicole and there is no way in hell that her relatives are cool with this.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    What's weird was that this case was played out across the world but I'm only aware of the huge black/white public divide happening to such a degree in the US.

Most folks in other countries saw a multimillionaire celebrity with a strong motive and not a lot of defence evidence get acquitted in a shambolically prepared and prosecuted case. That's the real injustice - we'll never know the truth for sure. Personally, I won't be buying the book to find out if or how.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    OJ shouldn't have been coinvicted because the evidence was by in large circumstantial. The blood could have been planted and the defence mananaged to make a good case against the LAPD in regards to racism. Its a credit to the legal system that OJ Simpson wasn't imprisoned because the law must work within the confines of the law & follow due process when trying to obtain a conviction or establish guilt. I think its a crime that Scott Peterson was convicted. There was less evidence connecting him to the crime than OJ to the Nicole Simpson murder.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Agreed. In law, process is everything. Personally, I still think he did it but it would indeed have been a travesty of the legal system if he'd gone down after the way that investigation and prosecution was conducted.

Agreed. In law, process is everything. Personally, I still think he did it but it would indeed have been a travesty of the legal system if he'd gone down after the way that investigation and prosecution was conducted.

^^^^Exactly. It's hard to have a discussion about whether or not O.J. did it without getting into a discussion about the trial.

Should he have been convicted: Hell no.

Did he do it:

I personally will probably tune into the TV interview. I usually don't stoop that low but it's such a strange concept -- What if - and believe me this is a hypothetical -- it was you who killed your ex-wife and her lover? How would you do it?

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

The OJ Simpson trial, along with the Scott Peterson trial always reminded me of Camus novella "The Stranger". Has anyone else here peeped that book?

peace

h

• The OJ Simpson trial, along with the Scott Peterson trial always reminded me of Camus novella "The Stranger". Has anyone else here peeped that book?

peace

h

yea, how so?

oj and peterson killed for reason?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    O.J. got off because he had the best lawyers money could buy.

When a rich white guy gets off this way it's a travesty of justice.

When a famous rich black guy gets off this way it's a "credit to the legal system"

Amazing.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

When a famous rich black guy gets off this way it's a "credit to the legal system"

Amazing.

Rich White Guys Who Beat the System vs. Rich Black Guys Who Beat the System.

Numbers Pleez?

this issue is also (in my opinion) what makes white people who confidentally proclaim oj as guilty look kinda .

if this were joe montana would they give him the benefit of the doubt?

Would YOU give Joe Montana the benefit of the doubt.

Would the rest of the white Strutters here given him the benefit of the doubt??

Or are you referring to those stereotypical intellectually inferior white folks???

Remember all those white folks partying after Robert Blake was found innocent.

And who could forget those riots in the Hollywood Hills when the Menendez brothers were found guilty!!

"But Rock, the Menendez brothers aren't 100% caucasion"

I know but they were rich so all "white folks" accepted them as two of their own.

:eye rolling graemlin:

Amazing.

Numbers Pleez?

A billion to one.

So???

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Amazing.

Numbers Pleez?

A billion to one.

So???

There should be no reason to cry.

Amazing.

Numbers Pleez?

A billion to one.

So???

There should be no reason to cry.

No one's crying....

A rich guy getting off because he has the best lawyers is either a travesty of justice or a "credit to the legal system"(I vote for the former)

But you can't have it both ways based on race!!

• i am not saying that dude did it or didn't do it but there is a remarkable similarity to another unsolved murder case that was pretty big here in LA as well. Back in the early 90's there was a club promoter by the name of Brett Cantor. This Brett Cantor dude was murdered the exact same way that Nicole was killed. Brett also ran in the same circles as Nicole and was notorious for having his hand in the Yay business. And I believe that Brett lived in Brentwood as well.

This never got exanimned as it should have... personally i have my suspicions that both crimes were mob related, whether O,J put the hit on Nicole or not is unknown. He could have put the hit on her and then they turned around and tied the crime to him. Also, the one chick that was supposed to be nicole's homegirl (i can't remember her name but it was that light skinnded sista), she could have some answers as well.

A lot of possibilities. But yeah the racial divide here was insane, and yeah you best believe a riot unlike LA has ever seen would have popped the fuck off if the verdict went the other way because racial tensions were already peaking at the time (and still are to a certain degree IMO).

i am not saying that dude did it or didn't do it but there is a remarkable similarity to another unsolved murder case that was pretty big here in LA as well. Back in the early 90's there was a club promoter by the name of Brett Cantor. This Brett Cantor dude was murdered the exact same way that Nicole was killed. Brett also ran in the same circles as Nicole and was notorious for having his hand in the Yay business. And I believe that Brett lived in Brentwood as well.

This never got exanimned as it should have... personally i have my suspicions that both crimes were mob related, whether O,J put the hit on Nicole or not is unknown. He could have put the hit on her and then they turned around and tied the crime to him. Also, the one chick that was supposed to be nicole's homegirl (i can't remember her name but it was that light skinnded sista), she could have some answers as well.

A lot of possibilities. But yeah the racial divide here was insane, and yeah you best believe a riot unlike LA has ever seen would have popped the fuck off if the verdict went the other way because racial tensions were already peaking at the time (and still are to a certain degree IMO).

I agree......and best believe if it was you, me or any other person of "average" income, regardless of race, would be in jail right now.

• this issue is also (in my opinion) what makes white people who confidentally proclaim oj as guilty look kinda .

Or are you referring to those stereotypical intellectually inferior white folks???

And who could forget those riots in the Hollywood Hills when the Menendez brothers were found guilty!!

I know but they were rich so all "white folks" accepted them as two of their own.

ha. i get your point, but the difference here is Mark Furman and a case based on circumstantial evidence. moreover, altholgh oj had a motive, the guy was also on the front of a Wheaties box and a generally likeable dude. Blake was a weirdo and a creep and the Menendez brothers were not in the public eye before their parents got killed.

i gave joe montana as an example because he is comparable to OJ. If he got arrested for killing his ex wife and lover, i think most people would say "no way!". Blacks were put off by the seeming consensus among the (white) media that OJ was guilty and the possible satisfaction that whites got out of seeing a fallen black star.

this issue is also (in my opinion) what makes white people who confidentally proclaim oj as guilty look kinda .

ha. i get your point, but the difference here is Mark Furman and a case based on circumstantial evidence. moreover, altholgh oj had a motive, the guy was also on the front of a Wheaties box and a generally likeable dude. Blake was a weirdo and a creep and the Menendez brothers were not in the public eye before their parents got killed.

i gave joe montana as an example because he is comparable to OJ. If he got arrested for killing his ex wife and lover, i think most people would say "no way!". Blacks were put off by the seeming consensus among the (white) media that OJ was guilty and the possible satisfaction that whites got out of seeing a fallen black star.

Fair enough.....now let me ask a real sensitive question to all of the Strut..

Do you think the reaction would have been the same if O.J.'s wife and Ron Goldman had been black???