Hip Hop Honors

MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
edited October 2006 in Strut Central
That Rakim shit was pretty dope! Styles P and Raekwon shoulda been a lot tighter though, they seemed off or something. And Kweli was asleep or something. The Roots backing all the medleys of tracks is again pretty much why this is so much better than I would think it would be. Damn who's gonna rhyme the wu tang tributes, psshh good luck to whoever tries that one on.

Comments

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    Ice Cube

Young Jeezy and Lil Eazy were pretty tight but it shoulda been Jim Jones too

Bambaata tribute, um....o...kaaaay.

you know what? nevermind. shit was tepid. The Rakim shit was the only decent part.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    SALVAGE!

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    man the rakim performance was the worst part... horrible live. Beastie Boys looked old, Ice Cube was good until Lil Jon came out. And what the hell was Lil Jon doing reciting Wu-tang tribute verses???? shit was garbage. MC Lyte was ok.

overall...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Christ, Lil Kim sucks.

Lil Jon doing reciting Wu-tang tribute verses????

I think they were trying to make some kind of link from ODB to Lil Jon. I can...sorta see it.

Was there one of these last year? The one in 2004 was the one with Black Thought and Common embarrasing themselves trying to rhyme like Kane right?

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Was there one of these last year? The one in 2004 was the one with Black Thought and Common embarrasing themselves trying to rhyme like Kane right?

Big Daddy Kane killed it last year. That's why I was looking forward to it this year. I made it to the Rakim tribute then decided I would rather sleep then watch the rest...Yea the Beastie's looked old...Seemed good on paper...

• debardebar 215 Posts
    Where was Ghostface?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    man, i got caught up in the old school video marathon on VH1 soul, and straight missed this. sounds like i didnt misss much. im ure itll air a thousand times. unlike the "Jackin for Beats" video i saw last night.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    man the rakim performance was the worst part... horrible live. Beastie Boys looked old, Ice Cube was good until Lil Jon came out. And what the hell was Lil Jon doing reciting Wu-tang tribute verses???? shit was garbage. MC Lyte was ok.

overall...

MC Lyte was nice, and she looks waaaayyyyy better than any of them other females in the tribute!

Whoever puts that thing together sure loves the Roots! I was like, damn, dudes sure are getting a lot of face time!

• common gave a nice speech to introduce rakim.

the wu-tang performance was weak and weaker was that intro with other people rapping acapella wutang lyrics while the dj kept coming in with off beat scratches.

kid capri was a good choice to be the host dj. i've never seen him live, but he really killed it on the mic.

bone thugs might have given the best performance of any group. it was funny when they panned the camera and showed people in the audience trying to sing-a-long to the rapping parts.

• Christ, Lil Kim sucks.

I was actually surprised at how well she handled those rhymes.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    No one mentioning the fact that Q-Tip looked like Erkal????

Q did a pretty good job on the Beastie tribute rap. And the boys may look old but they still turn it out. Although MCA looks way to Zen'd out, but he's always kinda been like that on stage.

Mixmaster did a good job.

Kid Capri gets on my nerves with all that yelling, but I still think he's good.

Was Ghostface not on stage???? The Wu-Tang thing got cut short cuz they were out of time, so I couldn't really tell.

MC Lyte was great!

The Bambattaa tribute was just too noisey. To much stuff going on. But what ever it's about Afrika starting it all, not the goofy cover versions of his songs.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Christ, Lil Kim sucks.

I was actually surprised at how well she handled those rhymes.

Me too...I also remarked that Remy Ma sounds better than I ever would have given her credit for....

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    The real question is, who is the marching band that did all the commercials?! That shit was out of control.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts

Whoever puts that thing together sure loves the Roots! I was like, damn, dudes sure are getting a lot of face time!

Questlove was the "Musical" director for the show. That should explain things.

• Speaking of looking old, DJ Yella looked ancient.
    And I didn't even recognize Ren during the Eazy-E video tribute.

• The Roots = Old School Review.

• anyone else suprised they chose forrest whittaker to introduce wu-tang?

when he started trying to list all the wu-tang members i would have bet money that he was gonna screw it up. he must have been reading from a cue-card.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    anyone else suprised they chose forrest whittaker to introduce wu-tang?

when he started trying to list all the wu-tang members i would have bet money that he was gonna screw it up. he must have been reading from a cue-card.

They were on ghost dog together, so not really!

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    This one was the best in the series so far,but that's not saying much.
    I didn't catch it from the start i missed the beastie boys performance
    I think you can see all the performances on vh1.com though.

• RustyBRustyB 223 Posts
    I actually thought Lil Kim ripped it up, but hey what do I know..

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Yeah, where was Ghostface? Tony Starks is too busy to get his honors? Is there beef? Does he have the flu? Or what?

• macacamacaca 278 Posts
    Big Daddy Kane killed it last year. That's why I was looking forward to it this year.
    same. the whole show this year was embarrassing.
    am i the only one who saw how awful puffy was?

• MC Lyte was nice, and she looks waaaayyyyy better than any of them other females in the tribute!

Lyte was looking REAL good.
    But she still has a little too much bass in her voice.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    Where was Ghostface?

word - arguably the only relevant wu-tanger...beef?

MC Lyte was nice, and she looks waaaayyyyy better than any of them other females in the tribute!

Lyte was looking REAL good.
    But she still has a little too much bass in her voice.

I think she is the best female rapper ever. She's in need of a serious retrospective - she's got hits that I forgot about???

Props to Remy Ma- I think she did it justice.

oh and Kid Kapri made Mix Master Mike look silly.... Turtablism is dead.

Long live Kid Kapri!