Comments

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    The Rub peanut gallery.

private mind garden crime wave.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    scientifical.
    that word is very schollegic

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Yo, we rallied around Ayres because he is a dope-ass deejay, not just because he is one of ours, we disagree with this bogus-ass "review'.

Now, if someone dissed Young Phonics that would be a whole nother story. . . .

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Yo, we rallied around Ayres because he is a dope-ass deejay, not just because he is one of ours, we disagree with this bogus-ass "review'.

Now, if someone dissed Young Phonics that would be a whole nother story. . . .

Something tells me that that reviewer would be more interested in trying to get Young Phonics to slip her his magically delicious jazztronic wand (PASUE).

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Reviewing a "show" or actual event is one thing, but reviewing a party seems kinda retardo to me in the first place. The point of a party is to get people dancing and havin a good time, which Ayres did, and did well it seems. Only a chap-bummed critic would sit around the party like "yeah, everyones dancing and having fun, but the song selection here is not to my personal liking, and the DJ in the other room seems to be playing stuff more to my liking, I'm going to have to blog about this tommorrow". Critics of this "party review" ilk make me fucking sick.

Get a beer, pull the Bic out of your bummy, let loose, have fun, and forget about it the next day like most of us normal folks do. Leave the "party reviews" for URB magazine, because chances are, those who didnt go to the party could give a shit less, and those that did know how it went anyways.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    New York doesn't worry as much about being cool as people in other cities think it does. We also don't care as much about other cities as they seem to care about us...

BUT, there are a lot of things that happen outside of New York that are ignored and misunderstood by people in that city b/c they don't happen between Queens and Staten Island. See ol' Saul Steinberg above for a visual representation of that. And, that is where the pretense and preoccupation gets in the way, and where NY is open to criticism. Partly, I think that is because living there takes a lot of energy in and of itself, so things get pretty insular. But, that is just my two cents.

not to hijack, but this is interesting. Living in such a city is always going in an slightly insular way. Same with Berlin over here. I mean, how many people never leave their block? But the worst though is, when some out-of-towner tries to tell you what's cool and what's not in NY or Berlin for example. People coming to town, living there for 2 years and thinking they are "it" just because they live there now. Ask some BerlinBerliners or NewYorkNewYorkers (aka people who live there for more than 20 years) about this...
    just my two cents.....

• MorseCodeMorseCode 1,516 Posts
    pull the Bic out of your bummy

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I'd disagree with the separation between a "show" and a "party" - I mean, The Rub bills itself as a touring event vs. some random club night and even the latter would still be a reasonable thing to review in the context of a nightlife magazine or column.

That said, like most, I didn't think it was a very good review and the level of nitpickiness in terms of the reviewers critique of Ayres' set seems particularly grating. If he had totally flopped by playing nothing but Baltimore house and mash-ups all night - that'd be a different story but an accusation of being "effective but conventional" seems rather like splitting hairs just for the sake of finding something to write about.

Reviewing a "show" or actual event is one thing, but reviewing a party seems kinda retardo to me in the first place. The point of a party is to get people dancing and havin a good time, which Ayres did, and did well it seems. Only a chap-bummed critic would sit around the party like "yeah, everyones dancing and having fun, but the song selection here is not to my personal liking, and the DJ in the other room seems to be playing stuff more to my liking, I'm going to have to blog about this tommorrow". Critics of this "party review" ilk make me fucking sick.

Get a beer, pull the Bic out of your bummy, let loose, have fun, and forget about it the next day like most of us normal folks do. Leave the "party reviews" for URB magazine, because chances are, those who didnt go to the party could give a shit less, and those that did know how it went anyways.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Oliver, It wasn't a RUB event. It was just Ayres doing a DJ set, and was billed as such.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Cos to be fair Robert named the thread "Pick apart this [sic] The Rub in Austin review" so Oliver gets a pass. So uhh, Robert it wasn't a RUB event it was a DJ Ayres event! The Rub = Ayres + Cosmo + Eleven (at least 2 of us have to be there for it to be The Rub). SPLITTING HAIRS!

All the same we got new T-Shirts - buy them!

Rugged new colors for the fellas!

Gold for the ladies!

All on American Apparel Shirts!
    http://www.itstherub.com/store.htm#shirts

But wait there's more! Card carrying members of The Rub Peanut Gallery (TM) get a free CD! Act now while supplies last!

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    I duuno. The author wrote their opinions. Its not a good article & its clearly not meant to be held up to no more scrutiny than a casual phone conversation. Why post this here except to diss someone? If archaic is trying to put Austin on blast by suggesting that its music critics are lackluster, then he achieved his ends. Perhaps the author's inability to enjoy the set rests in the fact that she's "almost urban". Clearly, if she was from a proper, developed city, her tastes would be more sophisticated.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I duuno. The author wrote their opinions. Its not a good article & its clearly not meant to be held up to no more scrutiny than a casual phone conversation. Why post this here except to diss someone? If archaic is trying to put Austin on blast by suggesting that its music critics are lackluster, then he achieved his ends. Perhaps the author's inability to enjoy the set rests in the fact that she's "almost urban". Clearly, if she was from a proper, developed city, her tastes would be more sophisticated.

I believe that the reason why it was posted was to be incendiary. Whether that means being incendiary towards Ayres, The Rub massive, New York (or really ANYONE OUTSIDE of Texas,) or towards the writer, that is still up for interpretation... I guess.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Not defending the "review" at all, but I think the idea that 'can't' or 'shouldn't' review a club night because its not a 'show' is ridiculous. And if lots of people have a good time that doesn't mean that you can't give it a negative review either. Thats absurd + I don't like the insinuation that you're not supposed to 'think' about parties you're just supposed to 'let go and enjoy it,' as if 'thinking' and 'enjoying yourself' are opposed, or that people aren't thinking when they're dancing or having a good time.

This "don't think about fun, maaaan" is like some new millenium hippie bullshit on the "please to banish all negative thoughts" tip. How boring.

I mean, the reason we all know who "the rub" is (aside from them posting here) is because somebody WAS 'thinking' about party nights when they started paying attention to these guys DJing - they thought they were doing something unique or interesting or original or doing it particularly well or whatever (i donno, i've never seen them). There are lots of clubs that have lots more people enjoying themselves every night, but these dudes have been singled out despite having (relatively) smaller crowds than, uh, Tiesto or whoever. Apparently the author didn't think they were worthy of it, but someone else did. And thats why they can actually do a TOUR rather than sticking to their home crowd like most folks.

Obv the article is crap writing though.