Pick apart this The Rub in Austin review

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

If Ayres can't take a lukewarm or lousy review

like I said, it's nothing.

Urrs, I meant this in the broadest sense, in other words, I meant to imply that I highly doubt that such a thing got under your skin. You have probably seen all manner of write-ups, from glowing to scandalous, as anyone working in the entertainment biz.

My thing is....why does this bother anyone here? Obviously it should be nothing to us as well.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Old Bay EP (Tittsworth, Catchdubs and me)

this better be full of old bitter mob shit

think Chesapeake Bay

SS legal team says watch out on the TM tip.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts

Urrs, I meant this in the broadest sense, in other words, I meant to imply that I highly doubt that such a thing got under your skin. You have probably seen all manner of write-ups, from glowing to scandalous, as anyone working in the entertainment biz.

My thing is....why does this bother anyone here? Obviously it should be nothing to us as well.

Gotcha.

• groups or DJs are in the tasty jazztronica genre?

• If Ayres can't take a lukewarm or lousy review

that is how i read birdman's comments. i do think it is funny how quickly the strut fam closes ranks on a member when they are attacked, though. It shows great loyalty, which is good. but no matter what your chosen art is, you are going to have to deal with critics and criticism. And those critics may hate your style, or catch you on a bad night, and some negative criticisms may be totally deserved. And, they may make an artist even BETTER. I'm not saying that is the case here, and she is an awful writer, so the clowning is none too surprising. I AM saying that the knee jerk reaction of "You don't know shit, son! (or, in this case 'daughter') That is my boy-eeee!" is misguided and doesn't help anyone, critic or artist.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

that is how i read birdman's comments. i do think it is funny how quickly the strut fam closes ranks on a member when they are attacked, though. It shows great loyalty, which is good. but no matter what your chosen art is, you are going to have to deal with critics and criticism. And those critics may hate your style, or catch you on a bad night, and some negative criticisms may be totally deserved. And, they may make an artist even BETTER. I'm not saying that is the case here, and she is an awful writer, so the clowning is none too surprising. I AM saying that the knee jerk reaction of "You don't know shit, son! (or, in this case 'daughter') That is my boy-eeee!" is misguided and doesn't help anyone, critic or artist.

What I find particularly amusing is the idea that Harvey would put this out there, then decry the 'personal attacks' on the writer!

That's OK with me, though, because you are all Good People.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    This thread is just terrible. TERRIBLE!

• If Ayres can't take a lukewarm or lousy review

What I find particularly amusing is the idea that Harvey would put this out there, then decry the 'personal attacks' on the writer!

That's OK with me, though, because you are all Good People.

Agree with both points- like I said, loyalty is good. And yeah, it is silly to say, "pick this apart," and then get upset when that happens. Take your toys and head on home steez...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Criticize her writing and her opinions all you want, but please stop short of laughing at an irrelevant head-shot and personal history entry as if they invalidate her right to speak her mind.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I think it's funny that Shied would decry personal attacks, period, since they're among the chief weapons in his rhetorical arsenal.

Every single argument comes down to how he is personally realer than the people on the other side of the issue.

I think it's funny that Shied would decry personal attacks, period, since they're among the chief weapons in his rhetorical arsenal.

Every single argument comes down to how he is personally realer than the people on the other side of the issue.

Y'all being fake has nothing to do with me.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    nm

Realness must radiate from your person like microwaves, son.

You are definitely too real for the internets.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    8/12/2006 2:17:08 AM Prince Paul - Booty Clap 127.mp3

hahaha, dude I still laugh like an idiot when I listen to this on my ipod on the train. People must think I'm kookoo.

i like at the end where he says "oh hold up! get ready for part two in this thing!" and then ends abruptly after the drum buildup. shit is hilarious

clap, clap, clap, clap
    clap, clap, clap, clap

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    the essentially talentless hanger-on who fancies him or herself as having a talent for commentary and publicizing, but can't even do that competently.

That's mean - I never thought Robert's writing was being offered up for critique in this thread.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

It should be noted, however, that soulstrut's now-widespread snickering knowledge of "normally-very-easy-to-please Deborah" has everything to do with you. It's bad enough that you so often and so blatantly fish for reactions by linking to your own writing, but far worse is to purposefully put your girl in the middle of a shitstorm that you yourself orchestrated by taking her little personal-opinion blog entry and polemicizing the fuck out of it ("Pick it apart...Go ahead and break it down..."), and to then have the gall to get on some transparently deflective tsk-tsk shit, acting like we singled her out. Shame on you, dude.

It should be noted, however, that soulstrut's now-widespread snickering knowledge of "normally-very-easy-to-please Deborah" has
    everything to do with you. It's bad enough that you so often and so blatantly fish for reactions by linking to your own writing, but far worse is to purposefully put your girl in the middle of a shitstorm that you yourself orchestrated by taking her little personal-opinion blog entry and polemicizing the fuck out of it ("Pick it apart...Go ahead and break it down..."), and to then have the gall to get on some transparently deflective tsk-tsk shit, acting like we singled her out. Shame on you, dude.

You actually took the time to type that?

I saw a negative review on a Rub dj.

I posted it on what is basically their home board, knowing that the reaction would be defensive...thus the go-ahead-and-pick-it-apart title of the thread.

But read that again. I said pick apart the review[/b]. I didn't say act like a bunch of disrespectful frat boys who think that just because you roll in a pack that your bullshit is above reprehension.

Some of y'all have true colors that extend faaaaaar beyond mere jokes and/or any semblance of fair play.

At least Cosmo and Ayres kept it relatively civil.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    BAN (again)

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    You know I'm right, though.

• look-

as someone who has lived in new york, austin, los angeles, san francisco, and nashville i feel somewhat qualified to say one or two things.

1) austin is a nice and comfortable place to live. there is about as much talent here as nashville, but not as much as any of the cities on the coasts. it is a bit more organized than nashville thanks to events like sxsw. people are friendly if not a bit standoffish when you first meet them.

2) the beauty of the rub is not in its groundbreaking musical selection. two things are beautiful about it. a) the collective nature of the night that allowed a couple of local/regional djs to garner national recognition and b) the incredible marketing, branding, and promotion of the night.

3) harvey/robert might talk a bit too much trash online and antagonize unnecessarily, especially given the fact he is such a nice guy in person.

4) austin is the best and only city i would live in texas and new york is not as cool as it thinks it is.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

4) austin is the best and only city i would live in texas and new york is not as cool as it thinks it is.

Dallas has no scene, no hype and most of all no records!!!

• Dallas has no scene, no hype and most of all no records!!!

no, no records (as you create the hype you don't want)

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Dallas has no scene, no hype and most of all no records!!!

no, no records (as you create the hype you don't want)

It's on lockdown And as you know, we welcome out of town visitors.

• austin is the best and only city i would live in texas and new york is not as cool as it thinks it is.

New York doesn't worry as much about being cool as people in other cities think it does. We also don't care as much about other cities as they seem to care about us...

It should be noted, however, that soulstrut's now-widespread snickering knowledge of "normally-very-easy-to-please Deborah" has
    everything to do with you. It's bad enough that you so often and so blatantly fish for reactions by linking to your own writing, but far worse is to purposefully put your girl in the middle of a shitstorm that you yourself orchestrated by taking her little personal-opinion blog entry and polemicizing the fuck out of it ("Pick it apart...Go ahead and break it down..."), and to then have the gall to get on some transparently deflective tsk-tsk shit, acting like we singled her out. Shame on you, dude.

I posted it on what is basically their home board, knowing that the reaction would be defensive...thus the go-ahead-and-pick-it-apart title of the thread.

But read that again. I said pick apart the review[/b]. I didn't say act like a bunch of disrespectful frat boys who think that just because you roll in a pack that your bullshit is above reprehension.

Some of y'all have true colors that extend faaaaaar beyond mere jokes and/or any semblance of fair play.

LOL, dude, nobody crept in through her window and stole her diary--people clowned her on the basis of things that she chose to post online. When you make your views public in that way, you also open yourself to potential ridicule. That's how it is--anyone that isn't comfortable with it should stick to writing reviews in their diary.

• austin is the best and only city i would live in texas and new york is not as cool as it thinks it is.

New York doesn't worry as much about being cool as people in other cities think it does. We also don't care as much about other cities as they seem to care about us...

i may grant you that some part of your second point is true (i live in boston, and you here a lot about the big brother to the south) but i think your first part is waaaaay off. and, wouldn't the second part, true though it may be, speak to a certain self-absorption?

3) harvey/robert might talk a bit too much trash online and antagonize unnecessarily, especially given the fact he is such a nice guy in person.

This makes me have to ask...in general, are the other people's postings on this board considered "nice"?

There are of course some obvious individuals on here whose efforts consistently qualify as nice.

But the overall tone of this board since at least the first day that I ever checked it out has been on some hatin' ass, holier than thou, extremely petty, throw stones all day but cry like a ninny at the first one lobbed in return, if you don't agree with you we reserve the right to insult you/label you/ban you, elitist country club nonsense.

Soulstrut is a lot of things, but it is far from "nice".

• I think it's funny that Shied would decry personal attacks, period, since they're among the chief weapons in his rhetorical arsenal.

LOL, dude, nobody crept in through her window and stole her diary--people clowned her on the basis of things that she chose to post online. When you make your views public in that way, you also open yourself to potential ridicule. That's how it is--anyone that isn't comfortable with it should stick to writing reviews in their diary.

that pretty much sums it up. can't take the heat, stay off of the web.

• 3) harvey/robert might talk a bit too much trash online and antagonize unnecessarily, especially given the fact he is such a nice guy in person.

This makes me have to ask...in general, are the other people's postings on this board considered "nice"?

There are of course some obvious individuals on here whose efforts consistently qualify as nice.

But the overall tone of this board since at least the first day that I ever checked it out has been on some hatin' ass, holier than thou, extremely petty, throw stones all day but cry like a ninny at the first one lobbed in return, if you don't agree with you we reserve the right to insult you/label you/ban you, elitist country club nonsense.

Soulstrut is a lot of things, but it is far from "nice".

This of course begs the question, why are you still here? Does Soulstrut now qualify as "the man"?

Potential ridicule is one thing. A gauranteed least common denominator reaction from a forum that purports to be full of big dudes is another.