Pick apart this The Rub in Austin review

Comments

• austin is the best and only city i would live in texas and new york is not as cool as it thinks it is.

New York doesn't worry as much about being cool as people in other cities think it does. We also don't care as much about other cities as they seem to care about us...

i may grant you that some part of your second point is true (i live in boston, and you here a lot about the big brother to the south) but i think your first part is waaaaay off. and, wouldn't the second part, true though it may be, speak to a certain self-absorption?

Nevermind what I said...this is worth a thousand words...

• austin is the best and only city i would live in texas and new york is not as cool as it thinks it is.

New York doesn't worry as much about being cool as people in other cities think it does. We also don't care as much about other cities as they seem to care about us...

i may grant you that some part of your second point is true (i live in boston, and you here a lot about the big brother to the south) but i think your first part is waaaaay off. and, wouldn't the second part, true though it may be, speak to a certain self-absorption?

I tend to focus on the city in which I live rather than being preoccupied by how another city is "like, totally overrated"

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I think it's funny that Shied would decry personal attacks, period, since they're among the chief weapons in his rhetorical arsenal.

Every single argument comes down to how he is personally realer than the people on the other side of the issue.

Y'all being fake has nothing to do with me.
    It should be noted, however, that soulstrut's now-widespread snickering knowledge of "normally-very-easy-to-please Deborah" has
    everything to do with you. It's bad enough that you so often and so blatantly fish for reactions by linking to your own writing, but far worse is to purposefully put your girl in the middle of a shitstorm that you yourself orchestrated by taking her little personal-opinion blog entry and polemicizing the fuck out of it ("Pick it apart...Go ahead and break it down..."), and to then have the gall to get on some transparently deflective tsk-tsk shit, acting like we singled her out. Shame on you, dude.

You actually took the time to type that?

I saw a negative review on a Rub dj.

I posted it on what is basically their home board, knowing that the reaction would be defensive...thus the go-ahead-and-pick-it-apart title of the thread.

But read that again. I said pick apart the review[/b]. I didn't say act like a bunch of disrespectful frat boys who think that just because you roll in a pack that your bullshit is above reprehension.

Some of y'all have true colors that extend faaaaaar beyond mere jokes and/or any semblance of fair play.

At least Cosmo and Ayres kept it relatively civil.

LOL, dude, nobody crept in through her window and stole her diary--people clowned her on the basis of things that she chose to post online. When you make your views public in that way, you also open yourself to potential ridicule. That's how it is--anyone that isn't comfortable with it should stick to writing reviews in their diary.

Potential ridicule is one thing. A gauranteed least common denominator reaction from a forum that purports to be full of big dudes is another.

This is just hot air, Shied. Your whining about "potential" versus "guaranteed" clowning is meaningless in the absence of a subject of ridicule who didn't avtually invite it.

I tend to like to focus on the city in which I live rather than preoccupied by how another city is "like, totally overrated"

I never said New York is over rated. I said I loved it... I also said it is preoccupied with itself, and as an outgrowth of that I'll say it can be very pretentious. I will also say it is arguably the world's capital of art, food, literature, and media- note, arguably. And, I will say that it has rare opportunities that you can only find there.

BUT, there are a lot of things that happen outside of New York that are ignored and misunderstood by people in that city b/c they don't happen between Queens and Staten Island. See ol' Saul Steinberg above for a visual representation of that. And, that is where the pretense and preoccupation gets in the way, and where NY is open to criticism. Partly, I think that is because living there takes a lot of energy in and of itself, so things get pretty insular. But, that is just my two cents.

• I never said New York is over rated. I said I loved it... I also said it is preoccupied with itself, and as an outgrowth of that I'll say it can be very pretentious. I will also say it is arguably the world's capital of art, food, literature, and media- note, arguably. And, I will say that it has rare opportunities that you can only find there.

BUT, there are a lot of things that happen outside of New York that are ignored and misunderstood by people in that city b/c they don't happen between Queens and Staten Island. See ol' Saul Steinberg above for a visual representation of that. And, that is where the pretense and preoccupation gets in the way, and where NY is open to criticism. Partly, I think that is because living there takes a lot of energy in and of itself, so things get pretty insular. But, that is just my two cents.

I was mimicking a stereotypical attitude that bitter out-of-towners tend to have, not trying to put you down.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Potential ridicule is one thing. A gauranteed least common denominator reaction from a forum that purports to be full of big dudes is another.

This is just hot air, Shied. Your whining about "potential" versus "guaranteed" clowning is meaningless in the absence of a subject of ridicule who didn't avtually invite it.

So you're the one lawyer in the world who has never heard of ethics?

Disrespect was never invited, only delivered.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

3) harvey/robert might talk a bit too much trash online and antagonize unnecessarily, especially given the fact he is such a nice guy in person.

This makes me have to ask...in general, are the other people's postings on this board considered "nice"?

There are of course some obvious individuals on here whose efforts consistently qualify as nice.

But the overall tone of this board since at least the first day that I ever checked it out has been on some hatin' ass, holier than thou, extremely petty, throw stones all day but cry like a ninny at the first one lobbed in return, if you don't agree with you we reserve the right to insult you/label you/ban you, elitist country club nonsense.

Soulstrut is a lot of things, but it is far from "nice".

Says the guy who took one of the nicest threads on here in a while and turned it into a waste of 1's & 0's.

• I was mimicking a stereotypical attitude that bitter out-of-towners tend to have, not trying to put you down.

There you go. In the mind of "New Yorker", everyone else is "bitter" that they don't live there.

• I was mimicking a stereotypical attitude that bitter out-of-towners tend to have, not trying to put you down.

There you go. In the mind of "New Yorker", everyone else is "bitter" that they don't live there.

I didn't mimic out-of-towners in general, just the bitter ones .

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

3) harvey/robert might talk a bit too much trash online and antagonize unnecessarily, especially given the fact he is such a nice guy in person.

This makes me have to ask...in general, are the other people's postings on this board considered "nice"?

There are of course some obvious individuals on here whose efforts consistently qualify as nice.

But the overall tone of this board since at least the first day that I ever checked it out has been on some hatin' ass, holier than thou, extremely petty, throw stones all day but cry like a ninny at the first one lobbed in return, if you don't agree with you we reserve the right to insult you/label you/ban you, elitist country club nonsense.

Soulstrut is a lot of things, but it is far from "nice".

Says the guy who took one of the nicest threads on here in a while and turned it into a waste of 1's & 0's.

I was thiking the same thing.

Ever see that episode of the Simpsons where bart is throwing his hands around while walking? He's talking to Lisa and says "If I walk your way and you get hit its not my fault"

Archaic/robert/harvey/dogwhistle is throwing his hands arond and wondering why we are all angry that he's coming at us while flailing, and just before the inevitable hit he puts out there that he didn't mean for anyone to get hurt

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

Touch??

Shied try to stay on topic.

What do "ethics" have to do with any of this?

Enthusing online about "tasty jazztronica" and "funky urban underbellies" = an invitation to clowning.

Like I said, anybody that's not comfortable with that may not be suited to the internet, where one does occasionally encounter people with different points of view or who think one is *gasp* a ridiculously bad writer.

• Potential ridicule is one thing. A gauranteed least common denominator reaction from a forum that purports to be full of big dudes is another.

Oh god, come off it. You knew exactly what you were doing. It was totally see-through, and really lame. You used someone who's supposedly "good people" to further your argument that nothing from New York City is as good as local phenomena - this despite the fact that neither Ayres nor Cosmo are from New York City.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    At least Cosmo and Ayres kept it relatively civil.

Awww, you big flatterer you!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i cant believe this thread is still going on

Oh god, come off it. You knew exactly what you were doing. It was totally see-through, and really lame> You used someone who's supposedly "good people" to further your argument that nothing from New York City is as good as local phenomena - this despite the fact that neither Ayres nor Cosmo are from New York City.

You want to cry lame, and that's what you came up with?

I was out to prove that nothing good has ever come from NYC???

Honestly, I was only pointing the review out to The Rub peanut gallery.

I sincerely didn't expect y'all to go so private mind garden crime wave over it.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    Beyond the fa??ade of a fruitful turntable excursion, however, resides a nagging wound of cultural misappropriation so far gone in its nescience that it begs for castigation

I can't believe this didn't catch more clown... might these ignorant wounds matriculate like a grand piano? Prior to their inevitable castigation, of course.

Shied is a master--I can't believe you would doubt his ability to prolong a thread.

• Beyond the fa??ade of a fruitful turntable excursion, however, resides a nagging wound of cultural misappropriation so far gone in its nescience that it begs for castigation

I can't believe this didn't catch more clown... might these ignorant wounds matriculate like a grand piano? Prior to their inevitable castigation, of course.

I don't know who to clown, the writer or his thesaurus?

• Potential ridicule is one thing. A gauranteed least common denominator reaction from a forum that purports to be full of big dudes is another.

Oh god, come off it. You knew exactly what you were doing. It was totally see-through, and really lame> You used someone who's supposedly "good people" to further your argument that nothing from New York City is as good as local phenomena - this despite the fact that neither Ayres nor Cosmo are from New York City.

I sincerely didn't expect y'all to go so private mind garden crime wave over it.

And you thought that this would accomplish... ?

I saw Mel at The Rub a couple weekends ago, and everyone killed it. The only thing I drew from your post was that you have a homegirl that's not a very good writer.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Shied is a master--I can't believe you would doubt his ability to prolong a thread.

Real heads still want to know why and what shied was apointed by the Blowdians

Beyond the fa??ade of a fruitful turntable excursion, however, resides a nagging wound of cultural misappropriation so far gone in its nescience that it begs for castigation

I know, I know...I'm only supposed to describe things that I don't like as

Real heads still want to know why and what shied was apointed by the Blowdians

Denmother

I saw Mel at The Rub a couple weekends ago, and everyone killed it. The only thing I drew from your post was that you have a homegirl that's not a very good writer.

Most like to know when things are written about them...whether good or bad.

I just wanted to see how and where y'all would take the opinion of one Austin woman.

Most like to know when things are written about them...whether good or bad.

Meaning that you intend to share this thread with your homegirl?

I'm sure she'll be thrilled at the way in which you held her out for ridicule. Thrilled.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    young sheezy, I'd rather my dj review source be able to cook up a batch a succulent ribs, or know where we can drag-net some shrimp for a replenishment of live bait, or know where we can successfully hunt for some magic mushrooms, or know which house the girl down the road lives in...than be able to tell me which local dj is her long time favorite.

young sheezy, I'd rather my dj review source be able to cook up a batch a succulent ribs, or know where we can drag-net some shrimp for a replenishment of live bait, or know where we can successfully hunt for some magic mushrooms, or know which house the girl down the road lives in...than be able to tell me which local dj is her long time favorite.

A righteous perspective.

• i cant believe this thread is still going on

who was it that predicted a '6-pager' back on page 1?

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts

I know, I know...I'm only supposed to describe things that I don't like as

Merely tripping on knottily mixed metaphors and vocabulary skills best described as... super scientifical.

• `Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!"

He took his vorpal sword in hand:
    Long time the manxome foe he sought --
    So rested he by the Tumtum tree,
    And stood awhile in thought.

And, as in uffish thought he stood,
    The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
    Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
    And burbled as it came!

One, two! One, two! And through and through
    The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!