Game over (Serato related)

Comments

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    I think you will find DJs get defensive about their use of Serato when you say things like

i would rather sit at home and wash dishes than watch someone play on serato.

that' how i feel. next thing you know, technology will have songs mixing themselves and you won't need your serato. also, with serato anyone can dj...they may be no good, but as long as they have mp3's, a laptop, and turntables they can do their thing. back then you had to actually dig instead of swapping hard drives with your homeboy and getting dudes music.

Serato won't make you a good dj, but the mp3 thing does mean "instant record collection". You still have to know what's hot to seek out, tho. Nobody can program good taste into you (although you can jack a lot of knowledge on line) & it takes skill/experience to turn a party out .

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    all right, so you're telling me if you heard some badass set and found out the dj was using serato you wouldn't like it anymore? get the fuck out of here with that bullshit.

i've said this before and i'll say this again. serato can only make dj sets better. i don't give a fuck what a mufuckah is playing music from as long as shit sounds good

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    You know Jonny, I was on my way in my horse & buggy to go pick up the latest wax cylinder when I realized I had left my butter churn on all morning.

• Man, when you leave the butter churn on - people die.

• tapestapes 15 Posts
    all right, so you're telling me if you heard some badass set and found out the dj was using serato you wouldn't like it anymore? get the fuck out of here with that bullshit.

i've said this before and i'll say this again. serato can only make dj sets better. i don't give a fuck what a mufuckah is playing music from as long as shit sounds good

sell me your records

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Man, when you leave the butter churn on - people die.

That's cause I was fucking with that NEW-FANGLED technology that allows the butter to churn automatically. I should have just been happy with churning it by hand. Back in the day you had to churn and churn and the effort created a sweeter butter. But now it's all like whatever you know... corny butter. Not real butter one might even say.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

sell me your records
    please answer my question and you ain't touching none of my records

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

sell me your records

You didn't answer his question.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    back then you had to actually dig instead of swapping hard drives with your homeboy and getting dudes music.

Honest question (honestly!), how many people still hold the activity of "digging" to be sacred?

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    This is a good thread. Let's keep it movin'. I gotta set up the 40 feet of tape on my reel to reel so I can loop this break. I'll be back.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    back then you had to actually dig instead of swapping hard drives with your homeboy and getting dudes music.

Honest question (honestly!), how many people still hold the activity of "digging" to be sacred?

Yeah good question. You know with SO MANY YEARS that I put into this, there is a part of me that says oh shit, man it took me fucking so long to even FIND OUT about Har-You Percussion, much less find the record. This young kids come along and they know this shit out the gate thanks to (mostly) the internet. And so I understand the thing about an older cat like me saying "You got to pay the DUES" and all but on the flip side that's bogus. In reality me knowing a little more about music or knowing some raer break doesn't give me extra cool points. Fuck it, man. This music is FOR all of us. Nobody can own this shit.

As for "digging" well, since I've made the switch to Serato, all the money that I would have spent on buying Lumidee records I've now put into minting up and getting all the BIG pieces I've always wanted.

But as a dude in his 30s who has a life and a family and NO FUCKING TIME WHATSOEVER, I have no problem NOT going to a flea market at 5 AM. Fuck it, I'll just pay for that shit.

• tapestapes 15 Posts

that's too bad, and that's my main beef with serato. it's helping to kill the art of digging. say what you will....

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

that's too bad, and that's my main beef with serato. it's helping to kill the art of digging. say what you will....

Dude, do you actually feel as though there's an "art" to digging?

• I think you will find DJs get defensive about their use of Serato when you say things like

i would rather sit at home and wash dishes than watch someone play on serato.

that' how i feel. next thing you know, technology will have songs mixing themselves and you won't need your serato. [/b]also, with serato anyone can dj...they may be no good, but as long as they have mp3's, a laptop, and turntables they can do their thing. back then you had to actually dig instead of swapping hard drives with your homeboy and getting dudes music.

The technology already exists. Welcome to the last five years. The thing with seato is a DJ still has to have skills to use it. Not at all the same thing.

• that's too bad, and that's my main beef with serato. it's helping to kill the art of digging. say what you will....

when's the last time anyone had to dig for a club banger?

I think your beef might be with new music, not serato.

• tapestapes 15 Posts

knowing spots folks wish they knew about is it.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts

what about knowing people other folks only wish they knew and getting shit that way, it's also an artform.....

I don't know if its an art, but finding records in a pet food store sounds like fun!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

And how does this tie in with Serato?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I don't know if its an art, but finding records in a pet food store sounds like fun!

It sounds like fun but it smells like shit (or cat piss, actually.)

• back then you had to actually dig instead of swapping hard drives with your homeboy and getting dudes music.

this shit is played already...
    long before serato....cats like evil d were using cdj's to rock...long before serato the mp3/cd digital age existed, and cats were swapping digital music as well... you really need to check yourself as far as serato being the scapegoat for your fears.
    i will say this every time to you narrow minded idiots who think like this, whens the last time you dropped $300 on a peice of vinyl ? if i told you how much i spend on vinyl a year , you will be salty.
    serato has made my life easier as a dj/collector in so many ways. I never have to worry about my records being destroyed, bullshit records like bubba sparxxx i dont need taking up space in my house...i will gladly take the mp3. since your so into vinyl , buy my 2500-3000 peices of shit ass "vinyl" im sure these need to played on vinyl...ciara, lil jon, field mob.

"beef" with technology sounds so stupid

the music is far greater than the medium in which it is played from..cats get so hung up on "vinyl"

corny

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    the music is far greater than the medium in which it is played from..cats get so hung up on "vinyl"

• my favorite things about it:

1- having tracks when they are brand new
    2-playing my own schitt out at gigs, even rocking doubles of it...scratching drops cats gave me, etc.
    3-having the same songs in more than one "crate"
    4-relative mode

So far I've always a bag of records too, but having the added versatility is super exciting.

• Dude Josh you just got it right?

I know you, of all people, will be straight SONNING dudes with that shit in a minute.

Deep crates + primetime skillz + superb mixing sense + serato =

• this discussion is outdated and probably duplicates a thread from over a year ago. i dont know any WORKING djs who don't own serato. the new shit should be people talking about how much more creative they have gotten in the past 1-2 years since owning serato. using cue points alone allows you to do some NEXT LEVEL shit. now add looping..and the fact that you can use anything imagineable as a music file. in a few years, dudes are gonna be talking about how lame djs were in the early stages of serato. guaranteed. i know there are great djs still using vinyl but they are also fools. the uniformity in sound levels (via programs like mp3 gain) should be enough incentive to switch...and that is something serato-lovers never even bring up. how many times have you bought a record that plays too low to even play out. problem solved.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

this shit is played already...
    long before serato....cats like evil d were using cdj's to rock...long before serato the mp3/cd digital age existed, and cats were swapping digital music as well... you really need to check yourself as far as serato being the scapegoat for your fears.
    i will say this every time to you narrow minded idiots who think like this, whens the last time you dropped $300 on a peice of vinyl ? if i told you how much i spend on vinyl a year , you will be salty.
    serato has made my life easier as a dj/collector in so many ways. I never have to worry about my records being destroyed, bullshit records like bubba sparxxx i dont need taking up space in my house...i will gladly take the mp3. since your so into vinyl , buy my 2500-3000 peices of shit ass "vinyl" im sure these need to played on vinyl...ciara, lil jon, field mob.

"beef" with technology sounds so stupid

corny

Hamburger is RAW.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Don't get me wrong. I'm all for Serato & shit like FS.

I remember trying shit out back before it became "Final Scratch". When them dudes John Acquaviva & Richie Hawtin were the OG beta testers for it. You could tell (eventhough the delay was kinda shit) that it was the future. And that was around 5 years ago.

I do find tho, it is taking away some of the mystic away from DJing. Now thousands of dudes are getting tracks before most DJ's. Women are now doing their weddings off of an ipod. Even that feeling of playing a song off ur computer for a friend seems kinda souless. They can't look at the record or the cover and enjoy it. Even when I had a white label, I would enjoy checking out the grooves or even the damn runouts.

But don't get me wrong. It's the future. Gotta move with the times. It makes things too eazy, not too.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    No, I understand what you're saying DOR.

Serato is a great tool for the working DJ. Most people that I hear who hate on it aren't professional, travelling dj's and wouldn't know what to do with records, turntables & a mixer anyway.

• deepbrntdeepbrnt 241 Posts
    watch-the-djism, along with haterism, are some of the greatest epidemics our world faces.