people of color. what does this mean?

124»

Comments

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    I spent 7 years training kung fu in a Chinatown basement with a 75-year-old Canton-born/Kowloon-raised teacher and took 3 Cantonese night classes at City College

i learned Canto , Swedish and Portuguese.

• With something like race and racism, I just don't think an online environment is going to be conducive to any real learning or empathy. You gotta just get out there and be in the physical world to understand something like oppression and subjugation.

I don't agree. At the end of every keyboard/post is, believe or not, an actual person. You and I have both made "real world" friends with online people--some of whom have taught me a lot, online and off.

Granted, anyone who gets all their interactions via the Interwebs is gonna come up short in many, many areas, race relations being only one.

• Man, this is great. I leave, go to a pig roast, sit on the beach for 6 hours, drinking nothing but San Pelligrino (Designated Driver steez- testing out my inner-ODub), and I come back to some Knowledge Dropped! Now, I might learn something.

(i wrote something long here. then, i erased it. not tonight; tonight, i'll just do the reading.)

Viva la Civil Discourse!

• Options
    Most of the terms now deemed as 'acceptable,' are bullshit terms, to address something above. I mean, what the hell is 'African-American'? 'Hispanic'? There all made up terms designed to make everyone feel better about themselves, while not changing anything that needs to be changed.

maybe some people can't/don't identify with being "american".

he does.

but we still put him under people of color.

I put "american" in quote for a reason. In my private mind garden, American= white folks.

Always find it funny how citizens of the USofA[/b] claim 2 continents for themselves.

K.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Most of the terms now deemed as 'acceptable,' are bullshit terms, to address something above. I mean, what the hell is 'African-American'? 'Hispanic'? There all made up terms designed to make everyone feel better about themselves, while not changing anything that needs to be changed.

maybe some people can't/don't identify with being "american".

he does.

but we still put him under people of color.

I put "american" in quote for a reason. In my private mind garden, American= white folks.

Always find it funny how citizens of the USofA[/b] claim 2 continents for themselves.

K.

Yes, we know - you point it out EVERY TIME.

But I'm curious - if you call yourself Canadian, what are we
    supposed to call ourselves? United Statesians? It's not like
    the rest of the world doesn't call people from the US "Americans"
    either, yet you always seem to let it bother you?