people of color. what does this mean?

Comments

• Most of the terms now deemed as 'acceptable,' are bullshit terms, to address something above. I mean, what the hell is 'African-American'? 'Hispanic'? There all made up terms designed to make everyone feel better about themselves, while not changing anything that needs to be changed.

maybe some people can't/don't identify with being "american". ever thought of that?

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Most of the terms now deemed as 'acceptable,' are bullshit terms, to address something above. I mean, what the hell is 'African-American'? 'Hispanic'? There all made up terms designed to make everyone feel better about themselves, while not changing anything that needs to be changed.
    While I agree that many people who play language police would be better off redirecting their righteous anger elsewhere, this shift in language was important and significant because of how little respect previous terms had for other human beings.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    what the hell is 'African-American'?
    I hate that term.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Most of the terms now deemed as 'acceptable,' are bullshit terms, to address something above. I mean, what the hell is 'African-American'? 'Hispanic'? There all made up terms designed to make everyone feel better about themselves, while not changing anything that needs to be changed.

First of all, the label "African American" is the dumbest, most persistently used phrase in our vernacular. Every time you call someone an "African American," you're making at least two assumptions about the person:

1. That the person is an American. For example, if you saw this guy walking along on a street, you would probably think:

...which is fine, except for one small detail: this man is British, which makes you a presumptuous cock.

2. That the person is African (because it's inconceivable that black people could come from Haiti, India, Trinidad, Dominican Republic, Brazil, Australia, or Jamaica). Nevermind that; BLACK PEOPLE ONLY COME FROM AFRICA.

Not to mention that every time you give a black person the distinction of being "African American" out of a mixed group, you're making an assumption about an entire continent; not everyone from Africa is black. I guarantee all you politically correct morons out there have never called a white person an African American. Of course you could avoid all these problems by using the same standards on blacks as you would on whites by simply assuming that all whites are from Africa just as you do for all blacks, but that might be too forward, and in a polite society like ours, people would be all too pleased to point out which of the 192 countries you didn't guess they were actually from.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

maybe some people can't/don't identify with being "american".

he does.

but we still put him under people of color.

First of all, the label "African American" is the dumbest, most persistently used phrase in our vernacular. Every time you call someone an "African American," you're making at least two assumptions about the person:

1. That the person is an American. For example, if you saw this guy walking along on a street, you would probably think:

...which is fine, except for one small detail: this man is British, which makes you a presumptuous cock.

2. That the person is African (because it's inconceivable that black people could come from Haiti, India, Trinidad, Dominican Republic, Brazil, Australia, or Jamaica). Nevermind that; BLACK PEOPLE ONLY COME FROM AFRICA.

Not to mention that every time you give a black person the distinction of being "African American" out of a mixed group, you're making an assumption about an entire continent; not everyone from Africa is black. I guarantee all you politically correct morons out there have never called a white person an African American. Of course you could avoid all these problems by using the same standards on blacks as you would on whites by simply assuming that all whites are from Africa just as you do for all blacks, but that might be too forward, and in a polite society like ours, people would be all too pleased to point out which of the 192 countries you didn't guess they were actually from.

And that's why I hate the term African American.

• Most of the terms now deemed as 'acceptable,' are bullshit terms, to address something above. I mean, what the hell is 'African-American'? 'Hispanic'? There all made up terms designed to make everyone feel better about themselves, while not changing anything that needs to be changed.

i think i live in a bubble, i'm suprised some people think anyone who's "black" = african.

While I agree that many people who play language police would be better off redirecting their righteous anger elsewhere, this shift in language was important and significant because of how little respect previous terms had for other human beings.

Language is a tool, and the only one that we have to describe things. And we will always suffer from the inadaquacy of language as a tool, and our own incompetence in using that tool. So, yes, some language mistakes can mark a small step forward.

BUT, never mind its uselessness as a term, the smiley-feelgood, "Aren't we great people? We call THEM African-Americans!" attitude as a PC society is to be deplored. So, people start calling 'colored folk,' 'african-americans'. Phhhew!! I'm glad we solved that Racism Problem!

maybe some people can't/don't identify with being "american".

he does.

but we still put him under people of color.

I put "american" in quote for a reason. In my private mind garden, American= white folks.

in terms of the census and federal reporting requirement for states. the term Asian/pacific islander is pretty useless IMO. so Hawaiian, Japanese, Indian have less in common then each respective group has with Europeans or Africans. even worse a lot of states report middle easterners under Asian/pi. so throw Persian, Arab, Israeli into that mix.

fucking useless data.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS RACE.

I can see where someone wants to identify w/ the ancestry/homeland, but colored is as stupid as the FLESH CRAYON.

• in terms of the census and federal reporting requirement for states. the term Asian/pacific islander is pretty useless IMO. so Hawaiian, Japanese, Indian less in common that each group does with Europeans. even worse a lot of states report middle easterners under Asian/pi. so throw Persian, Arab, Israeli into that mix.

fucking useless data.

word. i have to check mark the "hispanic" box a few dozen times a day at my job. Rolling eyes*

speaking of work.....

stupid as the FLESH CRAYON.

http://cgi.ebay.com/VINTAGE-CRAYOLA-CRAY...7QQcmdZViewItem

yeah, but it will put you back more than the price of a Micheal McDonald record.

i think i live in a bubble, i'm suprised some people think anyone who's "black" = african.

thats the point hes making: "which makes you a presumptuous cock".

• i think i live in a bubble, i'm suprised some people think anyone who's "black" = african.

?????

THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS RACE.

I can see where someone wants to identify w/ the ancestry/homeland, but colored is as stupid as the FLESH CRAYON.

Ive been lookin for that shit for a minute. This and INDIAN RED got banned. Great story behind this shit.

Back to "PEOPLE OF COLOR"

?????
    Nonononono! i knew that would read bad, i aint calling you a presumptious cock YP, what i am saying is that your observation is in-line with Maddox's writing evidenced by the phrase "which makes you a presumptious cock"

whew!

Young Phonics is not a presumptious cock.

can we go back and look at Ms. Albas behind now guys? can we? huh?

• Back to "PEOPLE OF COLOR"

I believe the term you want is "Urban-Americans."

No, "Gritty-Americans"

Dirty Rice Americans

Take ur fav P.E. song and replace it with Dirty Rice/Urban/Gritty.

• Back to "PEOPLE OF COLOR"

you mean hipsters?

NOW IM JUST PLAIN OLD CONFUSED!

• stupid fucking old fashioned idiots!there have been numerous advances in the classification sciences and i for one agree with fatback. we should start judging people based on the star search algorithms.

• Dirty Rice Americans

Take ur fav P.E. song and replace it with Dirty Rice[/b]/Urban/Gritty.

As an Acadian-American (CAJUN), I am deeply offended by the misappropriation of a beloved side dish.

Dirty Rice Americans

Take ur fav P.E. song and replace it with Dirty Rice[/b]/Urban/Gritty.

As an Acadian-American (CAJUN), I am deeply offended by the misappropriation of a beloved side dish.

ARGH!

That's it! I'm starting a worldwide boycott. Got the website up already.

www.bojanglesisdestroyingamerica.org

ubb will be up next week.

• verb606verb606 2,518 Posts

No, "Gritty-Americans"

hotness.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    u guys are ruining my lunch

• u guys are ruining my lunch

dirty rice?

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    what nationality/race are u ?

what nationality/race are u ?

bo-berry

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    No wonder my attempts to replace the term "wigger" with "Caucafrican American" have failed.