Does Ras Kass get it now?

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Soul on Ice and Boxcar Sessions were better in theory than in practice IMHO.

You take back what you said about Boxcar Sessions or we are officially E-BEEFING.

Young Phauxnickers, this is one example of what is so funny:

Now listen, when you celebrate "Thanksgiving"
    What you are actually celebratin
    is the proclamation of the Pope of Rome
    Who later, in league with Queen Isabella
    sent Cardinal Ximenos to Spain
    to murder any blacks that resisted Christianity
    These Moors, these black men and women
    were from Baghdad, Turkey
    And today, you eat the turkey, for your "Thanksgiving" day
    as the European Powers destroyed the Turkeys...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Hmm...I really don't know if any of that is true or not, I just remember being like a junior or a sophmore in high school and being really being blown away (IMPRESIONABLE YOUTH).

I can just picture Young Croutons-on-the-Futon attempting to get a girl open to this record. "Sssshh! Just listen to the words! Straight knowledge, girl! You know they built the same pyramids in South America that they did in Egypt! I'm talking about you and me giving birth to a tribe of righteous warriors! "

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Where is Baghdad Turkey?

Hmm...I really don't know if any of that is true or not, I just remember being like a junior or a sophmore in high school and being really being blown away (IMPRESIONABLE YOUTH).

I can just Young Croutons-on-the-Futon attempting to get a girl open to this record. "Sssshh! Just listen to the words! Straight knowledge, girl! You know they built the same pyramids in South America that they did in Egypt! I'm talking about you and me giving birth to a tribe of righteous warriors! "

Hey, don't knock a youngun's game. He was listening to a lot of Kemetic Suns at the time too.

Where is Baghdad Turkey?

?

• Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts

I can just Young Croutons-on-the-Futon attempting to get a girl open to this record. "Sssshh! Just listen to the words! Straight knowledge, girl! You know they built the same pyramids in South America that they did in Egypt! I'm talking about you and me giving birth to a tribe of righteous warriors! "

now this thread is going to go in another direction:

1). I didn't say that, but at the same time I wasn't exactly above pulling some "juice bar santeria" game for the panties.

2). Don't riff on the Mayans and Incas

3). "GIVING BIRTH TO A TRIBE OF RIGHTEOUS WARRIORS" HAHAHA! but man this thread is treading on some "laugh at other people's beliefs" shit.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    Where is Baghdad Turkey?

That was all a part of the Ottoman empire back then I think.

• Soul on Ice and Boxcar Sessions were better in theory than in practice IMHO.

You take back what you said about Boxcar Sessions or we are officially E-BEEFING.

Saafir's 15 seconds on "Fear Itself" > the entirety of "Boxcar Sessions" > his writtens v. Hiero

Holleur.

Saafir's 15 seconds on "Fear Itself" > the entirety of "Boxcar Sessions" > his writtens v. Hiero

Holleur.

You are treading on dangerous ground playboy.

I'll let you know right now, this is not really up for discussion.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

a tape of a tape of a tape of the hobo junction tape > Saafir's 15 seconds on "Fear Itself" > his writtens v. Hiero

i never really liked ras kass cuz all his freestyles were in some sort of biblical verse type thing and i was completely lost. i liked him on come widdit tho.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Get under his skin , Gene

Get under his skin , Gene

SEEN???

• Soul on Ice and Boxcar Sessions were better in theory than in practice IMHO.

Holleur.

Would that I had something else to say on the topic to rile YOU up for a change.

"Boxcar Sessions" is tied with "Penicillin on Wax" for the title of "Toughest CD to get a Used CD store to buy". At least in my experience of life. Come to think of it, I don't have the Tim Dogg anymore.......

Saafir does have a way awesomer voice than Ras Kass.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    This is fun, lets do a Canibus thread next.

Holleur.

Would that I had something else to say on the topic to rile YOU up for a change.

"Boxcar Sessions" is tied with "Penicillin on Wax" for the title of "Toughest CD to get a Used CD store to buy". At least in my experience of life. Come to think of it, I don't have the Tim Dogg anymore.......

Saafir does have a way awesomer voice than Ras Kass.

Haha. It's all fun and games here at NOT ABOUT SHIT RECORDS NYC.

I will buy your used Saafir merchandise

(seriously. I collect Saafir shit, rare white labels and the like. Anyone got a legit single vinyl pic sleeve Boxcar LP HOLLER.)

• waximilienwaximilien 352 Posts
    his writtens v. Hiero

written or freestyled, nobody could've delivered the line "you pencil necked piss colored gumby, you can't fuck with ME" better than saafir. i love that whole rhyme in fact.

"you grew up with wingdings named buffy and brad/used to talk like "hey that's rad""

classic shit

• ja_bruceja_bruce 295 Posts
    Does anyone like the Soul on Ice demos ? I thought I had them all but here's 8 songs that weren't on Soul on Ice cause of sample clearences, etc. Quality isn't the best but it's not terrible. If anyone has the whole thing let me know or post that shit up.

A HREF="http://rapidshare.de/files/26333882/Archive.zip.html">Soulonicedemos"/A>

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Does anyone like the Soul on Ice demos ? I thought I had them all but here's 8 songs that weren't on Soul on Ice cause of sample clearences, etc. Quality isn't the best but it's not terrible. If anyone has the whole thing let me know or post that shit up.

A HREF="http://rapidshare.de/files/26333882/Archive.zip.html">Soulonicedemos"/A>

and this is what I was talking about up there ^^^^. the album coulda been a classic.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

Holleur.

e-tripping. boxcars is a classic.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    that Golden State Warriors joint
    the song with the Windmills of Your Mind sample?

Yeah, it's a cool track.

3-Card Molly, wasn't it? Me likes also.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Ras Kass carries alot of weight out here in LA... He has a weird place between the street cats and the ballers out here. I get at least one request every week or so for Soul on Ice, but being that its out of print its almost impossible to come by. Also dude is, for all his ideas and views, down to earth as hell.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    that Golden State Warriors joint
    the song with the Windmills of Your Mind sample?

Yeah, it's a cool track.

3-Card Molly, wasn't it? Me likes also.

yeah thats that shit

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    ras kass did rip that axelrod song though
    exactly how was that collabo hooked up anywya?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

are you talking about his song on the axelrod solo from 2001?

pretty sure that was because axe really like the soul on ice remix.
    yeah from the self-titled album
    that's cool, i forgot axelrod actually listened to rap

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    Anyone got a legit single vinyl pic sleeve Boxcar LP HOLLER.)

WHAAAAAAT! I've never heard of that! Is the picture cover the same as the CD?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

are you talking about his song on the axelrod solo from 2001?

pretty sure that was because axe really like the soul on ice remix.
    yeah from the self-titled album

that's cool, i forgot axelrod actually listened to rap

i think him and dj shadow being best pals opened his eyes to the rap genre.
    i thought that was from dr. dre and diamond sampling him?

• waximilienwaximilien 352 Posts

he heard ras kass over one of his tunes via a sample in the diamond d remix of soul on ice. he knew he sounded good over axelrod's shit, so he got in touch (via a few different people)

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

The guy's view of history as a funhouse of homosexual conspiracies doesn't really have anything to do with contemporary racism and, in fact, draws attention away from the real problem. Beyond that, it's just a really awkward-sounding didactic record. It holds up neither as scholarship nor as music.
    That's because it's neither - it holds up as HIP-HOP.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    I'd just like to say that I really enjoy Ras Kass's music--both lyrically and musically.

He's obviously pretty fucking silly-stupid on "Nature of the Threat," but I still like the song.

Dude is easily one of the best "punch-line rappers" I've ever heard.

And what's this blasphemous "Boxcar Sessions" talk? "Boxcar Sessions" is a nearly flawless record.

-e

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

The guy's view of history as a funhouse of homosexual conspiracies doesn't really have anything to do with contemporary racism and, in fact, draws attention away from the real problem. Beyond that, it's just a really awkward-sounding didactic record. It holds up neither as scholarship nor as music.
    That's because it's neither - it holds up as HIP-HOP.

Jeezus, dude, I hope you didn't just type that with a straight face.