why do YOU think HIP HOP DIED?????

Comments

• the question was not why did RAP die... it was why did HIP HOP die. this is a question about genre. rock and roll is dead. jazz is dead. if you don't beleive this you are kidding yourself.

true. story.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Just for the record...I don't think hip-hop is even remotely close to death.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    This thread sucks, moreso because faux rillz is disappointingly wrong : ( hip-hop will not live forever any more than jazz or rock did. But people moaning lazily about how wack rap is should really stop talking about rap.

Also, No Way Out is a great album and if you can't see it you hate fun.

It's a Hell Up in Harlem, fuckit, another day another dollar
    wake up, to the barking from the Rottweilers
    Pull the collars, make em sit for the Godfather
    Then I holler, to Justin my son, run the water
    for the shower, trust fund scholarship sure to give him power
    Babymommacall, shepickhimup, in about an hour
    Now I'm free to go, free to blow, with the calicos
    and the navajos, it's just the way this player knows
    anythinggoes, finally caught up with my nigga Sam Sam
    Picked me up, in the tan Lex Land
    Wanted breakfast down at Pan Pan's, what's your favorite dish?
    He ordered cheese eggs and grits, I had the swordfish
    What is this? Three niggaz dressed in black
    Roleys on they wrist, feathers in they hat
    One tapped me on my back, then pointed at my stack
    Put my finger on the trigger
    then I asked him, "Whatchu want nigga?"

• of course there are still good items that come out in the genres of rock, jazz and hip hop but that is not the point. the point is that genres die inasmuch as they stop advancing and stop being valid and viable art forms in regards to contemporary culture.

and do i really need to explain the difference between rap and hip hop?

if you think i am going to sit here an argue about hip hop on a message board all day you must be kidding. fuck this. it's 80 and sunny. i'm going to set my employee to work on posting some dead ass jazz records and go to the fucking beach. fuck this shit.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    This thread sucks, moreso because faux rillz is disappointingly wrong : ( hip-hop will not live forever any more than jazz or rock did. But people moaning lazily about how wack rap is should really stop talking about rap.

Edit your post, deej--I am never wrong.

What I am saying is that rap as a mode of delivery has now expanded beyond the type of genre constraints that people in this thread keep pointing to, and I think it's about as likely that people will stop rapping as it is that they will stop singing.

Of course, it's very likely that all viable forms of it will not be recognizable as "hip-hop" to the type of little dude that posts on SoulStrut.

The fact that you'd even ask that question pretty much demonstrates that you don't have anything meaningful to contribute to this discussion.

But go ahead--I could use a laugh.

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    I know a lot of people who used to be into hip hop and now say "hip hop is dead" .

I think those people just got old and boring.
    Hip hop is doing fine.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    This thread is ridiculous.

At this point, hip-hop/rap is essentially Black music with a rhythmic spoken delivery, as opposed to a sung one--there are so many variations, that more precise definitions are impossible.

Certain variations will pass in and out of style or will exhaust their creative possibilities, but why is it inevitable that such a broad form would ever die?

Is "singing" going to die?

You dudes kill me.

Yes.

Could deej point to the dates when Rock and (especially) Jazz died?

So I can go home and adjust my collection.

Thank you.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Dude I love both genres but 'died' = cultural relevence supremely reduced, which is true for both at this point.

R&B has quite a shelf life but I think that more has to do with it being defined as 'black people singing' than soul being any kind of genre-eternal.

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts

-emergence of southern dominance

There are dudes in the south who are killing the mic. People who say rap is dead are not listening hard enough.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    I know a lot of people who used to be into hip hop and now say "hip hop is dead."

Hip hop is doing fine.

Dude I love both genres but 'died' = cultural relevence supremely reduced, which is true for both at this point.

R&B has quite a shelf life but I think that more has to do with it being defined as 'black people singing' than soul being any kind of genre-eternal.

I asked for dates. Not vague notions like "supreme reduction".

If you cannot support your assertions with data, we will have to assume you are wrong.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Frank, I didn't know this was empirical science.

"supreme reduction"

This sounds like NGE jargon...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    Jazz died with the Cherry Poppin' Daddies.

• Hip hop is doing fine.

saddest statement in this thread.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    I know a lot of people who used to be into hip hop and now say "hip hop is dead."

Hip hop is doing fine.

spoken from one of those people...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Hip hop is doing fine.

Well, for those of you who think NYC = 'hip hop' I guess I understand why you'd think it was 'dead'... NYC never recovered from the jiggy/underground split of the late 90s

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    b-b-but the only time that split really existed significantly was in the early 90s

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    b-b-but the only time that split really existed significantly was in the early 90s

I didn't say the split was ongoing, I said they never recovered from it

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I blame the Sugarhill gang. Fucking sellouts.

Please continue this discussion. I'll go drink some beers now and I need an entertaining read when I get home.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    obviously you havent read the reasonable doubt thread. jay-z killed it, DUH

• hip-hop isn't dead, its an evolving artform, theres still people bringing it properly, dilla, stonesthrow, in my town there is a fairly decent hip-hop scene with talented folks involved(and no i am not talking atmosphere) there has always been shit out there and there always will be, as there will always be gems, as for sampling laws, fuck them, atleast if your working on an independant level or smaller. you are way under the radar unless you are pushing like 100,000 units on the regular

Jazz died with the Cherry Poppin' Daddies.

That is contradictory with your statement regarding cultural relevence[sic] because the late 90s neo-swing movement actually put jazz back into the mainstream.

You need to get shit straight, son.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    I meant it died when they disappeared, but the CPD's never made it into the top 40 anyway.

The Squirrel Nut Zippers did.

And the CPDs were on the "Swingers" OST which did break top 40.

I'm gonna look this up after I take a dump. Hold on....

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts

Hip hop is doing fine.

When I started listening to hip hop music in the mid 80???s there were so good they made me want to jump around the room.
    Today over 25 years latter there are still hip hop records being released that make me want to jump around the room.

• slushslush 691 Posts
    IF HIP HOP WERE A MOVIE IT WOULD BE