youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited May 2005 in Music Talk
which is better and why? stein. . .

Comments

• slushslush 691 Posts
    ha what.
    ill go for the unpopular choice

Jungle Brother, JB for short.
    A biter bit my rhyme and we almost fought (FIGHT!)

OTHER VERSUS:

COTTON CANDY VS. FUNNEL CAKES: WHICH IS TASTIER

CARS VS. BOATS: WHAT IS FASTER

MAN VS. NATURE: WHO WILL WIN

• Ultramagnetic MCs vs Funnel Cake

I seriously can't decide.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    ha what.
    ill go for the unpopular choice

Jungle Brother, JB for short.

funny how right off the bat this is considered the unpopular choice.

However I do gotta give it up for Ultramagnetic in this contest, although both groups had some pretty gorundbreaking shit in their debut Ultramag took the game to a whole new level and managed to stay consistent with their follow up releases

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    I have to go with Ultra. Ultra was just off the hook from day one.

JB's are great but Done By The Forces of Nature is really their classic unfukwitable LP.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Man, tough choice. I've gotta go with Ultramagnetic too however.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    In 2005 I say Ultra, but in '97 it was the opposite. Its like the Earth's magnetic field, it will reverse polarity again.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    C'mon, is this a serious question?

Where are the Jungle brothers now?

EXACTLY!

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts
    Ultramag. Really on some other shit at the time.

C'mon, is this a serious question?

Where are the Jungle brothers now?

EXACTLY!

They're cranking out some pretty cool rave music if that's your thing.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    ULTRA... not by a whole lot, but enough that they're clearly the victors in this slugfest. I put them both in the same category, but those Ced Gee / Paul C beats, man.... WHOOOOO! "Give The Drummer Some", "Feelin' It", "Watch Me Now", "Ain't It Good To You"...

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    In the sleeve notes of the second Jungle Brothers LP, in the shout-outs section it says:

THE FUTURE:
    Ultramagnetic MCs

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Guys,

I gotta go with "Critical Beatdown" by Ultramagnetic in that these cats were on some ole' other shit, more so than the JBs. Don't get me wrong, "Straight Out the Jungle" was innovative as well, but not as much as Ultra's first joint. Both Afrika (multi-tracking and layering of samples) and Ced-Gee (drum sounds and beat programming) were MAAAAAAAASIVE influences on my development as a producer.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    BTW, 'Critical Beatdown' is one of my most favorite albums, not just in hip hop either.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    BTW, 'Critical Beatdown' is one of my most favorite albums, not just in hip hop either.

Both of those LPs are favorites of mine!!!!

"Cool and quiet, but quick to start up a riot. I write the rhymes....bums insist to bite it. I wear the gold around my neck just like medallions. But sold the homes of three black stallions. I don't care for fair, cause fair fares me. Out of ten ways of dyin', the first Mike G. I'm hardest than the hardest, hardest, hard can get. With Afrika and I and Sammy B on the set..."

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    beatdown for me too. stein. . .

• cant fuck with the Beatdown..I love that fucking record.

and hey Stein..I saw you with Prince Paul and Acey in Asheville a year or 2 ago, and I must admit that I had never heard yalls shit and I was skeptical. But yall really rocked it for real. I was impressed. And...which one are you? the DJ with the dookie?

southcrack, yep thats me with the dookie chain. thanks for the props. we been a band for almost 13 years now. so we aint gonna come off like some newjacks. stein...

• southcrack, yep thats me with the dookie chain. thanks for the props. we been a band for almost 13 years now. so we aint gonna come off like some newjacks. stein... [/quote

dope..you rocked it that night. props. you know its funny..that same night..when i was paying to get in..the bouncers wouldnt let Acey in because he didnt have a ticket. He was getting steamed. Fucking NC. you have any mixes or anything I can check out>

i've never done a mix yet. although i have had a million requests. i'll get on it. stein. . .

• i've never done a mix yet. although i have had a million requests. i'll get on it. stein. . .

yeah do that!

• oh yeah..turns out you look a shitload different from what I saw that night at the show. Reason being I had yet to buy glasses..and was pretty damn near legally blind.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Ultramag. Really on some other shit at the time.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    CARS VS. BOATS: WHAT IS FASTER

I really think its about time we looked at this question. Seriously, what is faster?

My answer? : Planes. Clearly faster than both cars and boats.

The issue is now settled.

Im also going with jungle brothers.

• gibla74gibla74 182 Posts
    Technically I spose you gotta give it to ultra but despite loving both, if I had to listen to one right now it would be the JB's. Also forces of nature was my favourite lp for years, still remember getting it on import, rushing home & being like what the fuck!? I only wish I could've had it on a decent quality pressing.
    Wasn't there a red alert rmx of jbeez comin thru? or was it just a mix tape thing??

If you thought that was hard, now pick your fave from the first 3 de la?????

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Critical Beatdown is one the albums that I'll take to a desert island.
    It might be my favorite of all time. Its still holds up to this day.
    It still sounds futuristic today.
    Straight Out The Jungle is the foundation to the Native Tougue sound
    that still resonates today. All those new producers trying to get that
    dirty boombap are cloning the JBs. That album's demo tape style predates
    Wu-tang rough mix style.
    When Red Alert debuted the Jb's songs on the radio back then they stood out
    among the landscape.Poeple think that De La was alternative, but The JB
    had complex samples courtesy of Afrika Bambaataa. That shit was the sample
    stretcher within the Hip-Hop sphrere.
    Ill go with Ultra but S8Out the Jungle is to me more important than De la and
    Tribes debut.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    It's a crime to me that the JB's never really got jocked the way Ultra, De La or Tribe did. Both of their first two albums are like the blueprint for hip hop music to me. Yeah, I picked "Critical Beatdown" over "Straight Out The Jungle" but STILL... "Jimbrowski", "What's Goin' On", "On The Run", "Because I Got It Like That", "Black Is Black"... OH BABY. And they did some of that sh*t totally rawstyle, just turntables and a mic. Kiss the ring, batches.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    No doubt.
    Dela had more visuals and Tribe was the blend of the previous two groups.
    Lets not discredit the other producers at the time though.
    Jungle needs to be canonized.
    Whenever I Djed a native tougues set the crowd would respond to the
    first jb album and look lost on hearing the second album.
    the jbs went international with the first album.

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    It's a crime to me that the JB's never really got jocked the way Ultra, De La or Tribe did. Both of their first two albums are like the blueprint for hip hop music to me. Yeah, I picked "Critical Beatdown" over "Straight Out The Jungle" but STILL... "Jimbrowski", "What's Goin' On", "On The Run", "Because I Got It Like That", "Black Is Black"... OH BABY. And they did some of that sh*t totally rawstyle, just turntables and a mic. Kiss the ring, batches.

I have thought they did get jocked just as hard hmmm, maybe I need to get out more??? But Ultra is the winner fo sho.... I wanted to see Kool Keith do push ups in that straight jacket that would be ill!!!!!!! But I would also take the Jugganotz over the JB's maybe I'm Clear Blue Skies one of the greatest cuts ever!

A little side note......when I loan UM CB and JB DBtFoN to people that arn't big rap heads JB is the one they keep for 2 weeks. Straight Out the Jungle was too crude for most of them (not me of course). I lived with a couple gay guys and their hag and they wen't nuts for DBtFoN and would play it all the time. But CB and SOtJ was too "rap" for them. Just a funny note.

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    I'd have to say Ultra but if you said Ultra #1 vs. JB's #2... that might be a little different...