X-MEN.....ehhhh

Comments

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I'm not gonna waste my time

• AaronAaron 977 Posts

Oh my god -- the guy initially posted a list of Superhero and SciFi titles, which 2001 and PoA fall under. I'm not understanding what you're mad about...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I'm not mad it's just that

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

Yes, you will.

• GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
    Has the Hellfire Club made an appearance in any of the movies?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Has the Hellfire Club made an appearance in any of the movies?

No.

It would have been nice to keep the underground Mutant menace angle, I didn't dig all the 'Secretary of Mutant Affairs' nonsense(too literal and unnecessary), and it would be easier to do a future story angle regarding the Hellfire Club with a more secret mutant school(like in the comics). Personally I think the Hellfire Club storyline was one of the best ever in the series, had a lot of great characters and twists.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts

probably the most surprising thing about X3 was how well he did as The Beast. Too bad they wouldn't do Nightcrawler and Beast in the same flick.

I completely disagree with some people's assesment of Jackman's Wolverine...I think he gets the most basic and crucial elements of the comic book character while giving him the needed Hollywood boost to carry the films(unlike Berry's Storm). Maybe Wolverine was once 'grimy', but the character has gone through so much over the years you have to roll a lot into the writing and performance to get to the essence, and I think he nails it 90% of the time.

And Noz, it may seem like a silly thing to be getting so in-depth about some comic book characters(and I think most of us know IT IS), but it's also a deep part of some of our adolescence, a time when I know I was just starting to personally identify with things like books, music and art. Comics were such a combination of a lot of these worlds that they really stuck with me for a long while even after I lost interest in superheroes.

In the end, no more dorky than overanalyzing any given musical artist or genre.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    And Noz, it may seem like a silly thing to be getting so in-depth about some comic book characters(and I think most of us know IT IS), but it's also a deep part of some of our adolescence, a time when I know I was just starting to personally identify with things like books, music and art. Comics were such a combination of a lot of these worlds that they really stuck with me for a long while even after I lost interest in superheroes.

C**** - I think you've misunderstood me. I think that, outside of certain rappers (yeah i said it), there are no fictional characters who had more of an impact on my own adolescent years than the x-men did. But my point is that what a lot of these grown men who run home to the internet to nitpick things fail (or refuse) to realize that they are no longer target audience for these characters. The youth of today are. And probably if you were a grown man reading those books you love so much for the first time you'd find a lot of things wrong with them as well. You overlook those flaws because of the emotional connection. Why not do the same with the film and enjoy it for what it's worth?

And I can never understand the "well this isn't the same as the book" people. That's the nature of adaptation. If you wanted to read the book, go read the book. This is a different interpretation in a different medium. So juggernaut is a mutant the world of the x-movies, but he was in the world of the comic books. How does that have any bearing on quality of the movie? the bulk of the audience has never seen that character. It's an especially absurd standard coming from the world of comics, where continuity is regularly thrown out the window in favor of telling a stronger story.

Batmon - I was under the impression that you were referring to "sci-fi/superhero" as a single hybrid genre, not an either/or thing. I think there's a lot that can be said in a good science fiction film, but it's most likely not going involve anyone wearing tights.

I think every superhero film you listed was an adaptation of an existing franchise, only strengthening my point.

C**** - I think you've misunderstood me. I think that, outside of certain rappers (yeah i said it), there are no fictional characters who had more of an impact on my own adolescent years than the x-men did. But my point is that what a lot of these grown men who run home to the internet to nitpick things fail (or refuse) to realize that they are no longer target audience for these characters. The youth of today are. And probably if you were a grown man reading those books you love so much for the first time you'd find a lot of things wrong with them as well. You overlook those flaws because of the emotional connection. Why not do the same with the film and enjoy it for what it's worth?

yeah, I think I see what you are saying a bit clearer, and I agree for the most part. That stuff was waaayyyy melodramatic(probably what apealed to my sensibilities at 14) and of course the way audiences approach this material NOW with many years of storyline under the bridge, there has to be changes.

In a way, that's what was so impressive about 1 and 2 for me, they really did get at the spirit of how I remembered the X-Men. X3 did too, but this time it just seemed rushed.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I went to see the movie today with the fam, and would agree with the general consensus that the move was ehhh. I have no connection with the story, nor the characters having not cared about comics since probably Jr. High or beforehand. I just wanted some entertainment, and found that lacking in many parts of the movie. I thought the final battle at Alcatraz was anti-climatic, and sort of stupid as well. Things like Beast yells, "Get out of there" and all the soldiers follow his orders? How is that suppose to happen in the middle of a battle? Anyway, it was my least favorite of the 3 X-Men movies

• On a more positive comic-book themed movie note, Ghost Rider looks incredibly beyond ehh , to these eyes at least.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Where the f*ck is Gambit?

Gambit and Bishop are not core members. Sorry.

But they are a $$$ draw

and gambit is an important member, more so then that through the wall girl

for all of us that read the comics bu lived off the cartoon..gambit is key..mon ami

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Do you really want them to delve into the shi'ar or juggaknots magic crystals or whatever? Nobody cares about that shit.

ahahha

You may be right on this point

I mean I would have loved to see Sebastian and the inner circle with phoenix

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts
    just saw it last night.

it was pretty . mostly because the first two were cool, but this one was just too much bad dialogue and stuff that doesn't make sense. i don't mind they take liberties with the comics, but some stuff is too much when it switches from film to film. for example, in the second one pyro states he can't create the fire, only control it. in this one the fire just blazes right out of his hands (cue the prodigy's firestarter plz). also, they state in #3 that the mutant gene is on the x chromosome. however, in the second film pyro smart-assedly remarks that it's the father that passes on the mutation. wouldn't that make it y-chromosome dependent (or else it would have a 50/50 chance of being passed on from mother or father?) simple stuff like that the studios should have picked up before releasing it.

but psylocke was pretty hot.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    just saw it last night.

for example, in the second one pyro states he can't create the fire, only control it. in this one the fire just blazes right out of his hands (cue the prodigy's firestarter plz).

he has a firestarting device stapped to his palms

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

Huh? I must have been asleep. I didn't see Psylocke anywhere???

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

my thoughts exactly

BTW

next storyline is clearly..armageddon..dark angel..sentinels...

than its time travel..bishop/cable.. professor-x..

nick cage as ghost rider potentially

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

my thoughts exactly

I think he's referring to:

isn't that psylocke on the right? at least that's who she's credited as.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

if so what a waste of a great character

she just dies randomnly along with porcupine random dude

You think the morlock/princess ororo/collosus storyline will be patched up with the apocalypse/dark angel/sentinels one

if so what a waste of a great character

she just dies randomnly along with porcupine random dude

You think the morlock/princess ororo/collosus storyline will be patched up with the apocalypse/dark angel/sentinels one

not all is lost

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts

not all is lost

I'd tap just to get some superpowers...

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Fine as Halle may be, her as Ororo is just . That role had Angela Basset written all over it.

When they were making the first one, I said the exact same thing to my wife. Her response? "She's too old".

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts

Storms dialogue was awful as usual.

SAYIN

Did I miss the brainwashing that everyone else got telling them Halle Berry can act? I mean forget for a minute that Storm is an older charachter in the comics. I get it, they wanted young sexy black woman instead. But if so then drop the "wise leader" shit, because she can't pull it off. Jada Pinkett-Smith would have been a viable compromise but she doesnt have the box office cha-ching.

This was by FAR the worst though, she was on some Katie Holmes in Batman Begins self righteous tip. On a whole though, the anemic story didnt bother me so much. If not for Storm, this fulfilled the legacy of the comics the most for me.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    Do you really want them to delve into the shi'ar or juggaknots magic crystals or whatever? Nobody cares about that shit.

ahahha

You may be right on this point

I mean I would have loved to see Sebastian and the inner circle with phoenix

that issue was dope. who was the inner circle dude who could increase people's mass...he makes wolverine crash through the floors into the sewers but hten gets carted out on the strertcher? does he ever come back?

kitty was cool in the movie.that scene was reminiscent of X2 night crawler opening scene (but not as good)

i had fun watching the movie. agree that the pyro/iceman fight could have been a lot better though. but the woods fighting with woverine, especially aginst that one dude throwing those horns was hot. hugh jackman was a very acceptable logan

you just gotta take what you get with these movies. some shit is real hot to see with effects and some shit they wont get too or will gloss over.

i want the next batman to be "gothic" or "the cult"
    and id like to see sandman and the sinister six show up in a spidey movie

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

ask and ye shall receive...

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

ask and ye shall receive...

holy fuck!!! yes!!!! sandman is the fucking man!!!!

good looking out paul! thanks for making that happen

for real though, whens that come out? is medusa and them in it too? trapman?

paul, you in P-town? im coming up next week for tenth year reunion!!!

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Just saw it tonight. I was disappointment. The first two films had better pacing. The characters were more human. You could tell the director cared a lot about the characters. Too many corny lines. Too disjointed a story. Professor X totally didn't act like Professor X would act.

That scene where Xaiver shows up to confront Jean and finds Magneto waiting there... terrible. Totally akward. Not done right.

The whole portable jail scene? Why was Mystique the only one in an open cage? Sloppy writing.

Juggernaut wasn't right. He's supposed to be huge. I mean he's big but big human size.

The inclusion of Angel didn't feel right.

The cure guns seemed like a lame plot device.

I hope they bring back Bryan Singer for X-Men 4 but I doubt he'll want to clean up the mess this film left. Halle ads very little to the film. Dumping her entirely from X4 wouldn't hurt the story at all. A little less focus on Wolverine would help but if they want to continue with Wolverine please please develope the Weapon X series and use a director like David Cronenberg (never happen).

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    How the hell can a Pharmaceutical corporation build its offices on Alcatraz?