celebrity blackface/ whiteface sightings (Work R)

2»

Comments

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    And Billie Holliday? I'd have to see proof before I believed that.

It should be mentioned that African American minstrels still had to “blacken up,” meaning they had to wear burnt cork to darken their faces. This tradition continued into the 20th century in many places. Refusal could mean you wouldn’t be able to go or stage or it could have had more serious consequences. There is a story of Billie Holiday in 1936 appearing with the Count Basie Band in Detroit and Billie had to wear blackface. They were afraid that someone in the audience might have thought that Billie was white and it would have been untinkable to have a white female singer perform with an all black band. Needless to say, Billie was not very happy! *

Wow.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Did you know that early hip hop pioneers sometimes performed in blackface? True story. The early hip hop phrase "yes yes y'all" actually comes from the old negro term "yassuh", which was often said on the mic at the earliest rap jams, predating even the era of Kool Herc. Yet another lost fact that has been obscured by time as miscreants continue to rewrite the halcyon history of hip hop

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    hey didn't they have lizardface in that TV movie V

(to answer myself)

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    are there any examples of actors in "lizardface" ?

Stacy Keach in "Nice Dreams."

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Google image search 'zwarte piet'

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    can't forget bamboozled...tommy davidson and savion glover...

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    are there any examples of actors in "lizardface" ?

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    hey didn't they have lizardface in that TV movie V

(to answer myself)