celebrity blackface/ whiteface sightings (Work R)

Dabney_SoulmanDabney_Soulman 890 Posts
edited May 2006 in Strut Central
I figured the race concious soulstrut board could help me here.I am trying to figure out which actors/ celebrities have been seen in public is blackface or whiteface in the last 30 years or so.So far I got: -Ted Danson @ Whoopi's Roast-C.Thomas Howell (Soul Man)can anyone else remember any public appearences in this kind of make upPS save the comments. I already know the subject matter here is iffy, keep in mind this is work related

Comments

• Gene Wilder in Silver Streak.

I couldn't remember the movie so I googled it and came up with this list from wikipedia

List of entertainers known to have performed in blackface

I couldn't remember the movie so I googled it and came up with this list from wikipedia

perfect, this list is exactly what I needed.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Wow, it's like every classic country singer is on there,
    from Hank Williams to Bob Wills...what up with that?

Or how about this:

Grace Slick while performing with Jefferson Airplane on The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Whiteface-

• Or how about this:

Grace Slick while performing with Jefferson Airplane on The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour

yeah that one bugged me out. I think I'm going to try to get the footage

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Gene Wilder in Silver Streak.

wha? i just watched that not too long ago and i don't recall wilder in blackface...unless they cut that scene out.

BTW, Gene Wilder in seductive mode = x1000

i cant remember the last time i felt that uncomfortable

wha? i just watched that not too long ago and i don't recall wilder in blackface...unless they cut that scene out.

thats one of the more famous scenes from that film. I saw a Richard Pryor special a week or so ago on comedy central and they showed the clip where Richard pryor puts him in the make up and walks him past some officers.

BTW it looks like the Grace Slick footage is under lock and key, [sarcastic]funny how they don't want that to get out[/sarcastic]

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Whiteface-

Easily one of the funniest moments in TV history.

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts

more Eddie

also that show that was on FX recently, Black and White I think it was called.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Gene Wilder in Silver Streak.

thats one of the more famous scenes from that film. I saw a Richard Pryor special a week or so ago on comedy central and they showed the clip where Richard pryor puts him in the make up and walks him past some officers.

damn really? this is so befuddling to me. i don't remember that part at all. maybe i closed my eyes too long for the parts where wilder was getting his mack on...

• that show that was on FX recently, Black and White I think it was called.

we thought of using that footage ,but we needed actual celebrities for this show

• unkarufusunkarufus 104 Posts

damn really? this is so befuddling to me. i don't remember that part at all. maybe i closed my eyes too long for the parts where wilder was getting his mack on...

That's because the movie with Gene Wilder in blackface is STIR CRAZY!

Whiteface-

"Go ahead ... take it! That's right ... it's okey, there's
    nobody around ... just take it!"[/b]

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Wait for it....

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Famous story I've often heard, but always doubted; Bonnie Bramlett had to "blacken up" when she was an Ikette. This is always told to show what a great soul singer she is.

Maybe smoking gun has the true story.

• d_wordd_word 666 Posts
    forget it, my question was already answered

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    BEEF JERKY TIME!!![/b]

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

Uhh... why is Pigmeat Markham on this list and listed as a primarily a blackface performer? If I'm not mistaken, he is black, right?

• damn really? this is so befuddling to me. i don't remember that part at all. maybe i closed my eyes too long for the parts where wilder was getting his mack on...

That's because the movie with Gene Wilder in blackface is STIR CRAZY!

No, you are wrong, my friend

Silverstreak

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Whiteface-

"Take as much as you'd like. Pay it back whenever. Or don't! We don't care!!"[/b]

Flip Wilson is on the list too. Billie Holiday? Who wrote this thing?

African-Americans can perform in "blackface." Light-skinned blacks
    would put on blackface to do minstrel-type material or performances.

It talks of how the Ben Vereen was a "tribute" to an earlier
    performer.

African-Americans can perform in "blackface." Light-skinned blacks
    would put on blackface to do minstrel-type material or performances.

I guess you're right, here's flip wilson:

But still, Pigmeat Markham is listed as a primarily blackface performer. That's just not true. And Billie Holliday? I'd have to see proof before I believed that.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    But still, Pigmeat Markham is listed as a primarily blackface performer. That's just not true. And Billie Holliday? I'd have to see proof before I believed that.

Bert Williams was a very dark skinned African American actor. He still wore blackface because of the racist "accepted conventions" of the time, and I would assume the same thing would apply to Pigmeat Markham and many others on the wiki list.

And Billie Holliday? I'd have to see proof before I believed that.

It should be mentioned that African American minstrels still had to ???blacken up,??? meaning they had to wear burnt cork to darken their faces. This tradition continued into the 20th century in many places. Refusal could mean you wouldn???t be able to go or stage or it could have had more serious consequences. There is a story of Billie Holiday in 1936 appearing with the Count Basie Band in Detroit and Billie had to wear blackface. They were afraid that someone in the audience might have thought that Billie was white and it would have been untinkable to have a white female singer perform with an all black band. Needless to say, Billie was not very happy! *

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    are there any examples of actors in "lizardface" ?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Otis Nixon, introduce yourself.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    quick question. is ferengi warrior white or black?